Jetty Walking Illegal? NY - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Striper Information & Services > Striped Bass Fishery Conservation / Politics / Management / News > Saltwater Licence Registry links /Regulations / Laws
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Licence Registry links /Regulations / Laws State game thief and Poacher hotlines / U.S. State Trailering Laws / Registration & Guidelines / Regulations / DNRs / Wildlife fish and game / and other govermental agencies / Park service Pass / Fees / News , fishing bills, conservation, regulations pertaining to the striped bass

Old 04-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Official Member

Default Jetty Walking Illegal? NY

Hopefully this is the right section, still trying to figure out the forum.

Anyway, I was fishing the Rockaway Park beach area and I was called by a Park Officer (they wear the green uniforms and drive those ATV's) who told me that walking on the jetties is illegal, and she could write me a summons for it. I didn't even think to ask her under which ordinance, but I was curious if anyone ever heard of a law against jetty walking. I know the lifeguards hate it, but I thought it was an "at your own risk" activity. Google has not been helpful in this regard, and I couldn't find any threads on it. Anyone know anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Jetty Walking Illegal? NY

I fish jetties all the time on LI and the police and park rangers always are passing and they never said to get off. Could this be just for the Rockaways?
Old 05-24-2013, 09:13 AM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Yes, I believe its a Queens County ordinance nany state protectionism. People that can't swim drown in the Rockaways every year so they figure just keep everybody away. NYPD chased me off one time and Park Ranger just checked for shorts another time. If you like the spot, fish @ night and be careful!
Old 06-06-2013, 10:10 AM
First Mate

Fort Wadsworth and South beach jetties on Staten Island are clearly marked as Keep Off. The sign at the "Fort" is riddled with bullet holes........that one I'm gonna pay close attention.