LITTLE COMPTON RHODE ISLAND SURF REPORT - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Rhode Island Fishing
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rhode Island Fishing Rhode Island striped bass fishing - Local discussion & reports

Old 06-12-2004, 03:10 PM

Default Headin' to RI

Briggs~
I PM'ed you. Call me.
It's about 3:00 now and I'm hitten the road in 5 minutes. I really hope to hear from you!
B/c I don't know where you are in the Lil' Compton area, I'll be at Sakonnett Pt. on the Jetty or at the Sakonnett Bridge. I'm still buyin the bait, so I hope I can go through 5 gallons in 1 night.
Talk to you soon. :D
Rhody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2004, 01:45 PM

Hey everyone,

I had some computer problems over the weekend and couldn't reply nor even get on-line for days. seems someone hacked me and then sent out spam e-mails to thousands of people. aol actually shut me down until i called them and figured out the problem. got to apologize to lilrhodie, hope i didnt ruin any plans you had and i hope you hooked up with some fish my friend. get i n touch with me privately.

computer problems or not,

took off for the beach friday night to spend a dad daughter night at the beach house. my wife came on saturday and picked her up. my fishing buddy came in at about noon and we began to prime for the fishing trip saturday night. the tide that i like wasn't happening until midnight. i think it was 6:00pm when i started to get itchy. so there we go, we got are stuff together and headed out at the wrong time. we packed everything we needed for it to be a long night. chairs, drinks, etc....... we get to the spot at around 6:30pm. about an hour an a half until sunset and the tide just started to go out. we set up the chairs and the sand spikes. before we start to pop open the beers we decide to throw some bait on and let the poles sit in the spikes while we got, um, well, while we got drunk. no sooner did we sit down........both our poles start to dance. we both jump up and land the first fish on the wrong tide. hmmmm, fluke? from 6:30pm until midnight.....every castyou either caught or lost a fish, every single cast. we were so tired of catching fish by midnight, we had to leave. the best tide was coming and from what we saw, it was going to be a slammer of an evening. just couldn't reel anymore fish in. we already had a slammer on an outgoing tide, go figure. i landed 20 stripers ranging from 20"-28". schoolies yes, but man they were fun and they kept us on our toes all night. there was always that chance that the mother striper could have mosied on through. i already proved that this year. all in all it was a great night. i think it was the first time i ever used all my clambellies. usually i'm chumming the ocean when i leave with the eccess.

all in all it was a great night even though we never hit the good tide.

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

Master of His Domain
Old 07-06-2004, 09:57 PM

Default July 3rd

Saturday was one of those days where i couldn't wait to get out and start fishing. It was about 83 degrees at the beach and the sun was beaming. Knowing that i'd be out on the rock at 3pm, just as the tide turned from outgoing to ingoing, i picked up some green crabs to start the day off with a little Tautog fishing. The bite was great for the first hour, then the bite became incredible. every cast for the next two hours were 8-10lb Tautog. fights like you wouldn't believe, such a strong fish. i think its the fact that you have to muscle them in before they take refuge under a rock. anyway, that took us up too about 7pm, time to crack open the clambellies and fish for what we're really there for, STRIPERS!!!!

The plan was to strand ourselves out on this rock that is only accessible at lowtide and sits about 300' out in the water at high. If i really wanted to get wet and walk in at high it would be up to my neck and the waves that come around both sides of the massive rock and meet in the middle where you walk, would have made it impassible, especially hauling backpacks, chairs and whatnots. so there we were...day starts to become dusk and dusk becomes night. the chairs set up, sand spikes jammed into the cracks in the rock. not a bite....not only not a bite but, i kept coming up with clumps of seaweed. it seemed like the weed drifted in with the tide and now surrounded the entire rock. every cast, seaweed. did i mention we were stranded on the rock? 8pm....9pm......it was maybe 9:30pm when we set the chairs way up on the top of the rock (the rock is 500 feet long and 300 feet wide, 40 feet high) to watch the 7 different sets of firework displays off in the distance. as spectacular as that was, i think the moon rising over the horizon, all orange, was more incredible.

It was 2:30am when we were finally able to walk in kneedeep water and make it to shore. dragging our equipment back down the beach to the beach house. I have to say that i had a great time because i really did. Skunks Happen. even to the best of us obviously, hahaha.

We ended up landing 20 Togs a peice. all keepers.

aka surfcastermaster

Master of His Domain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2004, 01:43 PM

jealous, hungry too.

sounds like some good fishing. my weekend produces far less, i managed to catch a sand shark after a couple hours of fishing on the cape. Good clamming though, tons of 'em.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:15 AM

Okay Guys.......Cast is off the ole hand and its time to Striper fish. I've been steadily Bluefishing, catching way to many to count, all fish 6-8lbs. its like fighting a train, lol.

Gonna head out this weekend for what should be a bangin trip. Tides will be great and the weather looks good. Keep your eyes peeled for my next report.

Thanks for your patience.

aka surfcastermaster

MASTER OF HIS DOMAIN
Old 08-29-2004, 08:29 PM

and away we go.......headed down to little compton last night at around 8:30pm to catch the 1:30am tide. sounds funny but hey, thats the way i like it. We headed up the beach at 10:15pm after getting everything ready to go. at 10:30pm we set everything up and baited up. The moon at 8:30pm was already coming up so we knew it was gonna be one of those nights, beautiful. So the first cast goes in at 10:30pm, like i was gonna wait until 1:30am, please. My rod starts to jump right away, i set the hook like a champ and by the way my rod was dancing, i knew i had a sandshark(dogfish). Once beached, it was a 3foot 10lb sandshark, great little fight on him. we caught about 6 of those big sharks before the stripers decided to come in. when they came in, the digfish disapeared. We fished from 10:30pm until 4:30am...the bite never stopped. we ended up with 17 for me and 13 for my friend, all fish were 25-40inches. No Blues, No Scup, No nothing other than linesiders. The only reason we left was because i couldn't keep my eyes open anymore and its a 1/2 mile back to the van. The moon was bright, the wind was from the SW at 10mph, and the waves were almost non-existent. what a great night of fishing it was. we got back to the car at 5am just in time for my sceptical friend that told me there were no fish, to get there. he asked how we did and i told him the truth, we slammed them. i got a call from him later that day, he got skunked. hahaha. one of the 40" came home with me to be my dinner guest. dont think the striper liked the arrangements.

I said it was a perfect night but i really meant, it was ALMOST a perfect night.

I always carry at least 2 rods with me. this time, other than my proven, off the shelf, Diawa Eliminator with the 8500ss Penn hanging on it, I brought this rod that i got this year at an old country auction for 5 bucks, sorry, i cant pass this crap up. It needed a reel seat so i put a Fuji reel seat on it and taped it on with electrical tape, and hung my 9500ss off of it. My first fish was one of the 40 inchers, it bit, i set, and the reel popped right out of the reel seat. so there i was, fighting a good size striper, gripping my reel to my rod with my recently fixed hand. My buddy asked what to do and i told him to just watch because this outta be funny and interesting if i can reel this baby in like this. well, i beached him and all was good. I checkout my reel after and notice that the reel seat had just opened and the reel slipped out, nothing broken. so i slip it back in, tighten it up and rig it back up. here comes the next fish, the reel pops out again and i manage to get her in again, gripping the reel. I calmly take the reel off again, and proceed to bust that piece of crap pole over the back of my chair with one big thump....by the way, never go golfing with me hahaha. what was left of the rod visited the sea gods and i went back to my favorite rod, the off the shelf, 60 buck Diawa thats never failed me. someone trying to tell me something?

still a great night and we caught a ton of fish.

aka surfcastermaster

MASTER OF HIS DOMAIN
Old 08-29-2004, 10:23 PM

one of them 40" ers would make my night!! I agree sounds like a great night o fishing
Old 08-30-2004, 02:29 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Craig, awesome. Too bad about the rod though LOL. I've been there before. Last Fall, during the run, I had a relapse, and blew one of my setups across the rocks lmao. I was sick of it. Right in the middle of a huge Fall blitz, and the thing was just gettin on my nerves. I will say though, I wouldnt have powerbombed my setup on the rocks like that if there was any other people around lol. It was one of those October late afternoons/evenings, and only the hardcore rock hounds are out ;) I had the whole place to my self.

Sounds like a great night on the beach. If I could stand the sand, I would fish the beach more often lol. I prefer the soft, "brown ground" of the marsh myself ;)

Cant beat some of those cheap setups though. I got an 80 dollar Okuma setup that I just love to fight keepers with :D

Old 08-30-2004, 09:07 AM

Well for one thing Stripersteve, those 40"ers are pretty common where i go, the place just produces some good size fish. It was a great night fishing but even if i didn't catch anything, it would still be a great night of fishing. The beach where i fish is private and if i wasn't hooking up for hours on end, i'd turn around and have a fire on the beach and walk back to the cabana to refill the cooler and grab some stragglers looking for a place. I'm very lucky to have the place that i have to fish.

Jonny, i always try to tell my friends how its not the rod really as much as the reel. i know i've written this before but, i've stood next to my buddies while they "try" to reel in a fish while they're cheap reel skips and cracks. hell, give me a bamboo stick with a nice penn on it and i'll catch ya some fish hahaha. and coming from a beach guy for life, that brown ground you talked about sounds funny to me, its like the place i'd avoid. now dont forget my friend, thats coming from a lifetime sand dude, i'd never put the mosh down, i see the reports, i aint blind hahaha, just sounds like mud to me. fact is, you fish where and the way you grew up thats all. I really have to make my way up there sometime so you can show me the hows and wheres of the "mosh pit".

aka surfcastermaster

MASTER OF HIS DOMAIN
Old 10-06-2004, 11:38 AM

Ok, After some family problems and no time, i'm back.

I've been doing alot of Bluefishing, only because i can go right down the road from my house. I don't eat Blues but its a good way to get the line nice and tight on your reel, if you know what i mean. The beach by my house has been producing 9-12lb Blues which has been a blast.

Headed down to Little Compton on Saturday. I wanted to catch the incoming tide which began at 5pm. The forecast called for rain late but since i'm not made out of butter, i figured i'd be alright. Met up with two of my fishing buddies and we primed accordingly on the cabana porch.

So we headed out, arriving up at the spot at exactly 5pm. The pond that opens up into the ocean about 3 times a year, to our amazement, was open....Not only was it open, it was raging out of the mouth. it seems that someone, be it the DEM or the town, had dozed it open and now the mouth was 40 feet accross. something that had to do with letting the bluecrabs out after spawning. anyway.....we knew we were gonna have a good night.

it was just starting to get dark when we got there, we noticed that the water was black with bait literally. there were 2 inch baitfish, being chased right accross the shallows by 6 inch Menhaden, and those were being pulverized by huge Bluefish. the blues were so thick that when we waded out 10 feet, they were breaking the water behind us and scaring the crap out of us. So we start to throw in some clambellies as far as we can cast. first cast produced a 40" striper. every cast from there on in produced a striper or produced an empty hook. I ended up with [email protected] 40+lbs with clambellies and my friend caught the same throwing eels about 50 feet away from me. I think if we had stayed, we would have slammed them all night, but the thunder and lightning gods had different plans for us.....we had been noticing how dark it was getting on the horizon and brushed it off, we had all our raingear on us. first the lightning striked in front of us, then 5 minutes later, behind us. i think it was when we knew we were in the middle of the storm that we all packed our graphite rods up and went back to the beach house to continue happy hour. the lightning never struck again once we were back at the house drinking. figures.

the next morning before anyone woke up. i packed my plugging rod and headed up the beach at about 6:30am. the day was perfect...sunny, nice morning. the only reason i was so gungho about heading up the beach that early was the fact that the pond was raging. so there i was, standing at the mouth of the open pond(which is the size of a lake) I put on a regular bright orange RI popper and casted accross the mouth and landed it on the beach, dragged it into the water and started to play it, i think i reeled in 4 rev. before i got slammed, attacked is more like it....this was a big striper, you could tell by the way it was running, my drag was screaming for exactly 8 seconds before this monster, that was waiting for bait in about 5 feet of water, spit my plug, UGH !!! after that, i'd take two casts and change to something different, this went on for about an hour with absolutely no results.

It was one of the best nights i've had with a heart attack morning the next day.

Tuesday i headed down to the same spot, i couldn't resist the conditions, hahaha. I casted that same orange plug into the mouth.....i get slammed, i mean wacked!!! this time, i aint letting up....it broke water and started to really run fast, i got a short glimpse when it broke, it was a blue fish, gigantic actually. It took me longer to beach this blue than it took me to beach that 50" striper at the beginning of the season, about 30 minutes to get this thing in. once i got it in, i weighed it, 17lb Bluefish, now i know why it was taking me for a ride, i thought the thing might spool me.

well, its good to be back guys and gals. we're not done yet !!!!!

aka surfcastmaster

MASTER OF HIS DOMAIN
Old 10-25-2004, 12:08 PM

Woke up Saturday Morning with Stripers on the brain. I didn't care what the weather would bring me.

I wanted to catch the tide at 11am and fish until 4pm. So i headed out and arrived at the beach at 10am. i took a walk to the cliff where i park my car now on account the beach house is closed up for the winter. I found winds between 20-25mph and the waves were breaking over the 20 foot tall rocks out in front. well, so much for the little rowboat i was planning to take out to the rocks out front. so we walked the beach to the rock thats accessible at lowtide. the walkway out to this rock never completely uncovered, so we were in ankle deep water on the way out with the tide on its way in. waves were crashing. wind was really whipping and a sprinkle would break out every once in a while. great day huh? this is what we call "hardcore fishing". we tried to make our way to the point of the rock but we were stopped by 20 footers crashing at our spot, so we made do. we walked out as far as we could and started the trip off by throwing rhode island poppers and pencil plugs into the surf. no results. I changed over to a Kastmaster and within minutes, i was pulling a 40 incher onto the rocks. seemed like the start of a great trip. This would turn out to be one of 5 keepers that i caught. after i landed those fish, the bite dropped right off. i tried everything i own in that surf to no avail. suddenly out of the corner of my eye, i see some guy swimming out from the beach in the huge waves. so as i'm retrieving my Kastmaster, i look over to find a seal, swimming with his head up.....TOWARDS MY KASTMASTER !!!! well, my retrieve got a little faster to say the least. one thing i hate is trying to take something other than a fish off my hook. This would explain there being no fish all of a sudden though. so we wrapped it up basically and headed towards shore.

Now this rock we were out on measures about 400 feet accross. at lowtide it has a walkway of small rocks that is 40 feet accross and leads from shore to rock. when the water starts to meet in the middle. they crash together and form what we call "the shark fin"on account that when the waves come together, they start coming togather at the rock and keep coming togather till the wave reaches shore. get caught in this at the wrong time and your all done. thinking i was going on the boat, i wore my hip wadres and not my chest waders. anyway, we start our walk in. the tide is halfway to high and now we're walking in 3 feet of water. a little too close to the boys if ya know what i mean . i hear my buddy behind me, "Craig watch out"!!! i get hit from behind by the "shark fin". slammed......wet from head to toe and i can feel the water building up at the bottom of my waders. the wave almost knocked me in to the drink. so now i'm miserable, stepping like i'm pissed, i step on the wrong slippery rock.....and i go down, i go in. My buddy runs up and pulls me out. now the little wetness i felt building up in my waders is running out the top and they way about 60lbs. we finally make it to shore, and now i'm hauling to filled waders down the beach. the reason i fell so bad is that, being a cherisher of my equipment (yea right) i made sure that i held my nice rod and reel over my head so it wouldnt get wet, hahaha, what an idiot, it was like falling with your hands in your pockets.

Oh Well, all in all a great fishing trip since it produced stripers out of 15 foot waves. Hence the title "SURFCASTING".

We ended up drying off and heading over to the next beach to watch the surfers get bashed against the rocks and get our head out of reality a bit. My Bad.

the next day, i went down the road from my house to the local beach. walked the entire beach before i started casting. I had on a regular bright orange popper. there was a wind at my back and there was absolutely no waves in the bay. as soon as i started popping i got hit. Now to all you guys who topwater fish this time of the season, you know the feeling i was getting watching the tremendous splash as the stripers attacked my plug. almost as good as sex but without all the sweating.

i ended up landing 9 25-30" linesiders in about 30 minutes before it was time to go home and watch the Pats put the smackdown on the jets.

followed up by the embarressing lost by the cards. can i get an awwwwwww?

I'd like to end this longwinded report with.......They're still out there guys and they're biting on anything, lets fish !!!!

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS DOMAIN 8)
Old 04-21-2005, 11:15 PM

Ok Craig asked me to let you guys know that he will be back online as soon as we clear his cookies. A minor speedbump in the fabric of life. But to all his fans He will be Baak. shawlty
Old 05-13-2005, 06:14 PM

Default Briggs are you holding us out for a Compton Boat Report?

Ok I think this is the master plan and some type of marketing hype for a easy transition from Compton Surf Report to Compton Boat Report?

Ahhh Fresh Compton Bass Taste So Good.....

Just have to bust ya chops bud.. Better trade all those telephone pole rods for some wire set-ups You'll be a Capt soon
Old 05-13-2005, 06:28 PM

Hey !!!! don't bust my balls just because your mad you aren't tall enough for ALL the rides....hahahahaha, behind the red velvet rope please, hahahaha.

There will be no trading in any rods here. Surffishing is my life and it always will be. I'm still trying to figure out if i'm going saturday night or not, haven't heard back from the boat dude yet.....but i do know that i'm heading out at 9:30am for a quick jaunt around the bay.

If i do go down to the honeyhole....baitrunner will be coming with me and whoever else might want to go <hint hint>. put it this way.....if you go with me, i'll garauntee you catch keepers all night.....hows that?

Oh and......i'll be finding alternatives for "wire Line". theres no way that i'm going to catch the world record, just to have IGFA say that because i caught it with wire line...its not a record...no way man. i dont care of i have to use 1,000lb test Powerpro hahahaha.

bust my balls will ya hahahaha......you better wear a life jacket next time out hahaha. <kidding>

I saw that you called but i had no answer for you yet really...

tell me if you want to go throw some bellies tomorrow night.

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)
Old 05-13-2005, 06:53 PM

Default Craig I'll know more tonight

My wife and I were invited to some type of fundraising thing and I'm trying to see if I can just donate , possibly just send a cardboard cutout of my avatar and go fish... My wife would like me to show up since it is something for the school she works at. It looks like I may go... but I usually win these things and could go with ya. I'll let you know tomorrow am.