RI fishieries hearings - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Rhode Island Fishing
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rhode Island Fishing Rhode Island striped bass fishing - Local discussion & reports

Old 02-07-2010, 09:59 AM
First Mate

Default RI fishieries hearings

This one is always a battle. I think there are acouple of good proposals here. It just always seems that come June 15th or fathers day we run out of menhaden in the bay.

http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bnatr...prp0210p16.pdf
http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bnatr...prp0210p17.pdf

This could be a big one for me i lost several trips last years with the delay of the season not opening until mid June

http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bnatr.../prp0210p7.pdf
commercial bass
Nothing in the rec only in commercial

http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bnatr...prp0210p12.pdf

hearing is set of feb 23

http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bnatr.../prp0210p7.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: RI fishieries hearings

Man they try to make the language as difficult as possible, don't they

If I read this correctly it seems the rec limits remain the same with a minimum 28" length and 2 fish per angler per day

On the commercial it seems the minimum size is 34" with a max of 5 per day. I am not sure if 5 fish max per day for a commercial makes it worth to even go out for them

But on the other hand couldn't the captains just book charter trips with the stipulation of keeping the fish themselves thereby if they take out 6 people they get 12 fish. Don't know that the paying customer would go for that though

What's your take on this Captain Bagwell?
Old 02-08-2010, 10:41 AM
First Mate

I don't see any changes except for the dates on commercial fishing for bass. The limit has been five fish for sometime now. As a charter boat captain I don't have a comercial lic. so my customers keep the fish that they want we encourage to limit the keeping of bass to just what you can really eat fresh and release the rest. In RI it is almost impossible to get a commercial lic. Those that have don't release them.

The fluke is a big one for me reducing the size back to 19 inch and starting the season in May.

The menhanden proposals is going to draw the biggest debuts from the lobstermen, arkbait vs the recreational fisherman trying to keep the bait in the upper bay longer.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Striper Hunter

Yes the menhaden issue is a huge one in my opinion. We got to stop trawling in Narragansett Bay and reduce what Omega Protein is taking
Old 02-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rebel View Post
In RI it is almost impossible to get a commercial lic. Those that have don't release them.
What a big difference that is from MA River Rebel. I wonder why the 2 states are so different? That's one of the things that was suggested for the MA guys... to stop the gold rush of out of state guys who only go up there for 30 days each year to Comm fish for bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rebel View Post
The menhanden proposals is going to draw the biggest debuts from the lobstermen, arkbait vs the recreational fisherman trying to keep the bait in the upper bay longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublerunner View Post
Yes the menhaden issue is a huge one in my opinion. We got to stop trawling in Narragansett Bay and reduce what Omega Protein is taking
I think that should be a coastwide thing, guys. NJ guys had to fight 11 years to get the bunker netters to step back a bit.