Health of Chesapeake Bay - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Chesapeake Bay
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Chesapeake Bay A sub-forum for the Chesapeake Bay and all its tributaries Rockfish Rocks.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Health of Chesapeake Bay

Mid-Atlantic - 2008 Report on the Health of Chesapeake Bay

The Chesapeake Bay Program has reported that despite increased restoration efforts throughout the watershed, the overall health of the Chesapeake Bay did not improve in 2008. The nation's largest estuary continues to have poor water quality, degraded habitats and low populations of several key species of fish and shellfish. The Chesapeake Bay watershed is affected by pollutants such as excess nitrogen, phosphorus and sediment that enter the water from sources including agriculture, urban and suburban runoff, sewage treatment plants, and air pollution. One of the greatest challenges is population growth and development in the region.
Some gains were noted. For example, the Chesapeake Bay Program exceeded its goal for land preservation, with 7.3 million acres permanently protected from development. Acreage of underwater bay grasses increased by 18%; these grasses provide shelter for aquatic life, improve water clarity, increase oxygen and reduce shoreline erosion.
For more information, visit www.chesapeakebay.net.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Lunker

Default Re: Health of Chesapeake Bay

I see they plant grasses. But has anyone done anything about farming the salt ponds or let me put it another way. Has anyone done anything to stop the salt ponds from becoming land? I see that many salt ponds are filling in and becoming land. I say farm them by cutting channels in them to lower the grasses some and let them survive longer or stay the way that they can be the most effective.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:19 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

with the way things are going? i doubt much will be done in that respect. an idea would be to get local conservationists to contact the army corps of engineers and see if there is something on thier agenda for this. "know it wont be" but they could give input on a solution without actually getting involved. they always know how to frig up or fix up anything that is in the way or vice versa..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimno1
they always know how to frig up or fix up anything that is in the way or vice versa
I will postulate that this statement is true about the entire human race. Whether its arrogance or confidence in the collective phyche I cannot say.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:16 AM
Official Member

as human being care about health and animal also having a sense of human element every one should be care own health and around animals.