Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

BryanL kills skunk............

5K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  Birddogs1964 
#1 ·
I am so happy to report that Bryan has killed the skunk that has been plagueing him for quite some time now, In fact he did it in conditions that even a salty angler would have had difficulty with.
We met up with Jacob, and Jay at the Googin Beach parking lot too early and needing more coffee. From there we continued on to Cow Town. When we got into the gate the wind was a strong breeze and in our face, which is what I had hoped for with the incoming tide. Turn out was coming up just before dawn and I figured this would be the place to be.
Turns out however that ole mutha nature decided she wanted to kick it up a notch and threw us a surf that was pounding and unfishable in the closest locations, I'm talking 10 feet at the outer reefs. I was agast at the thought of having to pack up and find another location, so we set out further along and found that the surf laid down enough around the corner that things actually looked pretty good. It was a snake party, and we commenced to hooking Eels and venturing out. The first couple of spots were still a little rough, and we worked down a bit more. Bryan and I took a perch on a point the seemed to be very fishy looking. The surf crashed diagnal to the beach, and had a bowl to it, that was noticable by the way the waves died off as they went over the deeper water. The rip was working diagnal to the surf as it rushed through the cuts in the submerged reef. As we slung our eels into the bowl, several retrieves went by until Bryan got a runner. The fish didn't even hesitate as it engulfed his eel and peeled about 30 or so yards on a smokin run. His drag was too loose and he missed the hook set. My heart sank. All I could think was, how many hits can he get before he finally gets one on! We were getting pounded by the crash of the waves, sometimes chest high and Bryans ankles were getting sore as he had his feet wedged against 2 rocks, so he headed back to shore. After a short rest he moved down the beach to a spot about 50 yards away. BackbayJ was between the 2 of us and we were all working the bowl. I missed 2 fish as my attention was on Bryan while he worked his Eel. I got a slammer of a hit that ripped my Eel off the hook, and replaced it. On my first cast with the new snake, I heard Bryans voice as he yelled something, but could not hear him over the craching waves. Jay repeated it, FISH ON! I moved as quickly as I could through the boulder field to coach Bryan through the fight. When I got there he was in full combat with what I knew was a nice Bass. Drag was peeling and screemin! Bryan has learned his lessons more than well and was in full control. After at least 5 or 6 smokin runs later, the fish washed up with a wave and I gilled it. I have never been happier in my entire life to land a fish for someone!
36 Inches
20 pounds on the scale at Ocean State Tackle 4 hours later.
As I handed the fish to him, his hands were shakin like a dog passin a peach pit!
Congratulations Bry, you beat a very nice fish in some of the most difficult Striper water anyone could fish. I'm proud to have been there to watch.

The picture sucks, but thats a camera phone for you!

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.