last minute trip to sandy hook-little help! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New Jersey
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New Jersey Regional discussion, news and reports for striped bass fishing in New Jersey

Old 06-17-2008, 07:13 AM
Striper Hunter

Default last minute trip to sandy hook-little help!

made last minute plans to fish sandy hook tomorrow 6/18. i haven't been there in 30 years. looking for the best place to park, and where to access the beach. thanks, pooley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2008, 09:07 PM

Default Re: last minute trip to sandy hook-little help!

Im surprized no responses. Maybe PMs.
Google Sandy hook fall blitz.
You will come across Capt. Jim Fredas overview of the hook and a good starting point.

The hook itself is a long - long walk on soft white sand. The rest of the beach is likely to be inundated with bathers. Except perhaps the fishing beach. Look for that as you drive in.
But keep your eyes peeled for bait - birds - boats and other fishermen.

Good luck. Dusk to dawn gateway permit is needed.

The National Park service
Gateway NRA is a 26,000 acre recreation area located in the heart of the New York metropolitan area. The park extends through three New York City boroughs and into northern New Jersey.
ENTRANCE FEES
Parking Fee

Details
GATEWAY HAS NO ENTRANCE FEES. However, Beach Parking Fees are charged at Sandy Hook and Jacob Riis Park during the summer. Annual passes are available for Sandy Hook.

ACTIVITY FEES
Fishing Permit
Fees
$50 - Annual (recently raised)

Details
There are fees for parking in fishing lots at all Gateway sites. Permits are available at Gateway Visitor Centers/Ranger Stations.
Public Affairs Office
(718) 354-4606 Jamaica Bay Unit
(718) 338-3799
(718) 354-4500 Staten Island Unit

Sandy Hook Unit
(732) 872-5970
You can Also purchase a yearly National parkpass for $50. that allows you access to any National park that requires an entry fee. You can purchase one online at their web site.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Striper Hunter

a few productive spots i found through the years==
- park in the first lot, and cross the roadway walk out to the first island. watch out for the poison ivy/oak/sumac on the way. this always seemed to be a tide tempermantal area to me but the fish are there.
- "fishermans beach", further down past the guard shack. good ocean side fishing spot, wander too far north and your in the nudie beach.
- "the tip" drive as far north as possible amd park in the ock lot with railroad ties. bring everthing you need and thats it. the walk can be tough going.

=tip= bunker are hot. stop and get fresh if you can, not that frozen stuff. and dont fall the fresh frozen line that one of the tackle shops sells. youll pass four shops on the way, one should take care of you. also, red/yellow combo is doing well. remember to leave the beach cleaner than it was when you showed up. been noticing soooo much personal garbage these last weeks. dont necessarily mean that for you.

one more thing, i dont think anyone replied to your post because everone is out catching.

goodluck tomorrow,
jm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm197 View Post
a few productive spots i found through the years==
- park in the first lot, and cross the roadway walk out to the first island. watch out for the poison ivy/oak/sumac on the way. this always seemed to be a tide tempermantal area to me but the fish are there.
- "fishermans beach", further down past the guard shack. good ocean side fishing spot, wander too far north and your in the nudie beach.
- "the tip" drive as far north as possible amd park in the ock lot with railroad ties. bring everthing you need and thats it. the walk can be tough going.

=tip= bunker are hot. stop and get fresh if you can, not that frozen stuff. and dont fall the fresh frozen line that one of the tackle shops sells. youll pass four shops on the way, one should take care of you. also, red/yellow combo is doing well. remember to leave the beach cleaner than it was when you showed up. been noticing soooo much personal garbage these last weeks. dont necessarily mean that for you.

one more thing, i dont think anyone replied to your post because everone is out catching.

goodluck tomorrow,
jm
Actually it would be because it's considered spotburning. Most every one here has learned that giving up your spots to the 10,000 people who will read this thread will very often end up meaning that the next time you go to fish that spot, it'll be too crowded for you to throw a line.
Trust me I've seen it happen with my own eyes more then once.

I left 95% of your post because you mention a few places where knowledge can mean the difference between fun and serious injury or even death.

The island you mention, more of a peninsula really, has been the scene of two fisherman drownings in the last 4 years, 3 in the last 6. If you wade out you have to be extremely careful. One wrong step and the current will sweep you away. Also it's a tough spot to learn, different tides being productive at different times of the year. Not a place for "chuck and luck"

You seriously understate the walk from the last lot. It hasn't earned the moniker "The Death March" for nothing. Bring lots of bottled water or risk heatstroke if you do it in the daylight. Bring an extra large bottle of bug spray if you're crazy enough to try it on a calm night (or even worse, when a breeze is blowing off the land and piling the mosquitoes up at the waters edge)
Old 06-19-2008, 08:15 AM
Striper Hunter

thanks for the info guys. i wish i knew when i was going sooner, as i didn't get a chance to see these posts. i went to fishermans beach. caught lots of sea robins. i did catch a fluke on a rapala jointed shad rap extreme! 14", so it's still swimming. BTW, what a pigstye! pick up your garbage people. it looked like the side of the nj turnpike!
Old 06-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Lunker

hope he brings some wire leader for the BOOFISH invasion
Old 06-19-2008, 12:32 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

How did you do?
Old 06-20-2008, 07:00 AM
Striper Hunter

sea robins and a 14" fluke on a rapala shad rap.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Striper Hunter

i hear ya sudsy, sometimes im too generous. blame it on the catholic school years. anyway, whoever updates the links, if they could fix the tides link. on different pages it seems to point to different sites. they should be /08 not /07 one page is /06
Old 06-24-2008, 06:06 PM

I will fix em if ya point em out.
Substitute the 06 or 07 in the url for 08 for now. Ill see if i can find em
all.
Im assuming they are in the stickies. the ones on the navbar are all updated.
Thx btw JDM
I see the one on the menu up top is 07. Ill get it fixed.