Proposed Storm Surge Barrier? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-19-2019, 11:59 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Proposed Storm Surge Barrier?

Found this article on FB and its the first i've heard about it:
https://www.news10.com/news/local-ne...vkap13OmUdjxoM

Anyone have more info? Seems like an awfully brief article for such a large proposal that would seriously impact or eliminate the striper fishery in the Hudson. They can't be seriously considering this can they?

There's already enough doom and gloom being spread about the overall health of the striper population, cutting off the 2nd largest spawning ground seems completely outrageous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 04:59 PM
Senior Member Elite

Default Re: Proposed Storm Surge Barrier?

Not a chance in hell this will every come to be.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:05 PM
First Mate

When a storm surge gets up to the third story on the Empire State Building.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2019, 07:41 PM
First Mate @ Ace Charters

That's my Capt.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:14 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Z View Post
Not a chance in hell this will every come to be.
You Know me Doc , and you know I respect you 100%, but when was the Last year we could fish for American Shad in the River?

You and I (I Bet ) belong to a few Fishing Forums , and what has been stated is that the Bio-Mass is in Decline over much of the North Eastern US.

I'm not a Biologist of any extreme , but I have read Many reports of Decline ,

Especially in overall avg. size. We Are Declining in that.
How far North are the 40" size traveling compared to 16 yrs. ago ?
I'm NOT being a Bitch my friend , and I Know that you keep accurate records of your catches , I'd like to know the Average size of your catch from Newburgh and up, not that I'm very familiar from where which you start, but I know that when I first started fishing the Hudson 16-17 yrs ago we were Smaking 20 plus lb fish regulary in the Albany area .
New York is a Scary place to live in , we are Constantly losing in fish stocking programs and Management for what "They " seem is right.
The Hudson is Second Largest to Chesapeke Bay and entirely feasible to try to "Lock Down " for 2-3 yrs, which would relieve NYS from millions of dollars of funding and Management of this Fishery and only Second to Poaching which we know they could hardly enforce.

Since I've started fishing for this Great fish almost 20 yrs ago I have been able to seek them out from Connecticut, Cutty Hunk Cape Cod and the Islands and Marthas Vineyard and of course the Hudson , but what scares me the most is what they are saying of Moratorium happening again as it did in the 80's.

This is real , and please dont get me wrong , I've been in contact with my representatives of NYS and have Letters written back to me of our (The Fisherman and Women ) on this just cause ,

This is Really happening because and for Many reasons , one of which I believe is Commercial Fishing and catching and Keeping Soo too Many fish per season per person. There has to be a common area somewhere , Long Island is a Great place to start , NOT the Hudson .

When and if this happens , we All must speak and Vote for Proper representation on this matter.

Spring Fishing on the Hudson is NOT the culprit nor the solution to this matter of Decline in Stocks , we must look into the Commercial aspect.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:34 AM
Veteran Elite

I think the number of big fish has increased dramatically . possibly due to the slot limit? I've caught more fish over 38 inches each of the last three years than I ever have and many of those have been over 40.

Bassin Brian hadn't ever caught a 40 and a couple of years ago he got two in one day.

I'm not making any statements about the stock or even the average size but I figured I would share what I've been seeing.

I'm looking forward to a 45 this year and it wouldn't surprise me if I see one
Old 04-23-2019, 01:42 PM
Senior Member Elite

Last year we caught more fish over 40" from Newburgh to Poughkeepsie than any other year but my average size was around 28".

I think a lot of data on the biomass is flawed.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:36 PM
First Mate

I hope your right also , I'm not sure what to say after the Huge influx we had at The Cape this year especially in Cape Cod Bay, But I'm scared of whats happening in Long Island and Only there.
I had a Very decent year on the Hudson last season (shore fishing)which I usually leave June - August for areas East (Cape Cod etc) and then come back for Holdovers thru October which are Always there and waiting.
I dont trust NY thinking that closing down the Spring Fishery is the answer, I actually think that they'd lose millions of revenue from the Fisherman and Women coming here from all parts just for this season .

I just got back today , tired , beat-up and bloodied as usual, had a Great day and talked to many people out there from the Dam to the Corning Preserve, just soo many people out there enjoying this particular fishing event.

I'd hate to see it shut down for some Lame Democrats decision.

Thank you for your generous input Doc , its more info than I've gotten back from the DEC.https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/a...1&d=1556058925

Stephen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shore 1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	35590   Click image for larger version

Name:	shore2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	35592  
Old 04-23-2019, 06:50 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
I think the number of big fish has increased dramatically . possibly due to the slot limit? I've caught more fish over 38 inches each of the last three years than I ever have and many of those have been over 40.

Bassin Brian hadn't ever caught a 40 and a couple of years ago he got two in one day.

I'm not making any statements about the stock or even the average size but I figured I would share what I've been seeing.

I'm looking forward to a 45 this year and it wouldn't surprise me if I see one
That's Great to hear, we only saw one fish at 45" at the Dam and a good few at 40" and still a Good amount at 30 plus , but I dont fish there enough to know how many over 36" plus.

This is just an inquiry as to how many larger Females are making it that far because of sustainability in the stocks further up than Poughkeepsie and Kingston, ??

I just hope us Shore guys were "sucking bad " at what we've been doing for the past few years in the Albany area. !!!
Old 04-23-2019, 07:16 PM
Senior Member Elite

The main problem with the catch and release mortality data is they are using data from those caught by trolling in warm water in the Cheseapeake.....these fish are dragged as they are pulled in and obviously have a higher mortality but in no way applies to what we do up here in the colder waters...I don't believe the C and R mortality is 80% as they claim.

If they want to protect these fish then just limit fishing in the know spawning areas.....that's pretty easy to enforce.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:28 PM
First Mate

Quote:
The main problem with the catch and release mortality data is they are using data from those caught by trolling in warm water in the Cheseapeake.....these fish are dragged as they are pulled in and obviously have a higher mortality but in no way applies to what we do up here in the colder waters...I don't believe the C and R mortality is 80% as they claim.

If they want to protect these fish then just limit fishing in the know spawning areas.....that's pretty easy to enforce.
Yes I believe that,

Our waters are Much colder and the Migration is Much quicker than the Cheseapeake area , so why pick on us ? !!
Old 04-24-2019, 07:32 PM
First Mate

DEC claims the C and R mortality rate is 9%, not 80%.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:38 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddiethej View Post
And that's a Beautiful thing to hear, at 80 it would be nearly Impossible to sustain Any fishery,

Thanks Freddie !!
Old 04-25-2019, 09:21 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddiethej View Post
There was a controversial article on the OTW website claiming 80%. Here is an article about the Striper in Maryland......if that state takes more biomass out than ALL other states combines then why not just deal with the problem there and leave us alone.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/op...424-story.html
Old 04-25-2019, 02:42 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
There was a controversial article on the OTW website claiming 80%. Here is an article about the Striper in Maryland......if that state takes more biomass out than ALL other states combines then why not just deal with the problem there and leave us alone.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/op...424-story.html
Funny you should mention that article doc, i just came across it this morning. My eyes about poped out of my head with when I read this part:

"Recreational anglers are largely responsible. Since 2008, they have killed eight times more striped bass than commercial fishermen, with Maryland anglers harvesting a huge haul: nearly three times the number of fish taken by Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Delaware and North Carolina combined."

Seems like an absurd stat... fkn figure it out Maryland. Wonder how NY and Mass stack up on the kill count.