A different season - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 10-15-2006, 02:57 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO
Default A different season

This has been a different season so far, as seasons go. While the bass aren't as abundant as a few years back, they are some decent fish, if you put your time in. And that's the key. You have to be out there.
After saying that, I have been out twice this week and the pickin's were nill. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2006, 04:23 PM

Default Re: A different season

2 years ago the surfcasting was slim pickins and it was a somewhat lousy year. Some rhodie guys on a tuna trip spotted acres of large bass feeding 25 miles out. The bass are probably just as abundant if not more so. They go where the bait goes.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:55 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Hmmm. Thats interesting. Maybe the fish are in some weird cycle where they are getting more abundant the farther you go North every year. Cuz this year was just extraordinary around here. And I saw even more young Striped Bass this year than last year. And last year was unreal, and we beat that....something I didnt think would happen. But man, the rivers and estuaries here were just jam-packed with fish. I firmly believe these fish are and have been supporting local native strains in MA., NH and Maine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2006, 11:45 PM
Lunker

Hey Jimmy!

How much do you fish the upper Ct in the spring?? I launch my 13 footer (and once in a while my 21) out of Rocky Hill (launch was closed in May last year and hasn't opened back up yet) and plan to do more of the same next spring_ Typically I hold in about a 5 mile zone around the launch in the 13 foot boat but I can always motor up a bit farther north if you wanna take a ride some night. 90% of my river striper fishing in the spring is night time or very early morning. Typically the rising side of the tide works out best for me. Do a lota tube'n'worm trolling and typically manage to nail at least some schoolies but more often at least a couple of reasonable fish most outtings. I really am a newbee at stripers and have only been at it a couple of seasons.... Still... as newbees go there a lot of 40+ inch fish that have come over the side of my little boat:)

Keep in touch for the spring and if you are on the river from Hartford to Cromwell we might wanna make a point to bump into each other some time. Always looking for new partners and someone to shoot the breeze with when the bite is slow_ Judging from your profile we probably have a fair amount in common_

FYI_ that little baby in my picture there was a 48 incher nailed from the shore at the Rocky Hill launch. Best fish for me off the shore so far. Picked her up in my second striper season... Not bad for a new kid_ Odd thing about that fish was she was spawned out... Now how could that be unless the fish are spawning IN the CT.... This year was not quite as good as last but still managed to hook up with two or more keeper size just about every time out_

Tight lines
-be
Old 11-12-2006, 06:38 PM
I had a BLAST!

Wow, a 48" bass from the ferry landing. I'm there in may for a while, then hit the dam up the river aways.
I'll be around.
Hey Jonny, that's something about the bass up your way. There was bait around, I just didn't see it like previous years.l Ya didn't have to look for it, it was all over the place.

Jim, I'm not suprised one bit about the bass being way out there.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:06 AM

I agree both the spring & fall held the promise of being a great season for me, but it never really got there. I think putting in more time would have helped, but I didn't have enough "Honey Points" built up. Hopefully Norwich Harbor will give me some good action until the spring run.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:55 AM
I had a BLAST!

As was stated by Striper Jim, the bass go where the bait go. The May run of Alewives was pathetic by me.