Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Groton CT

Tags
groton
3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  jemerrill 
#1 ·
Anyone fish out of Groton CT? I was thinking of going out of there this weekend, didnt know if anyone had any input on the area, Ive never been there before. Thanks.....Jay :cheers:

#4 ·
The area is famous for its fishing. Bass, blues, flounder, fluke, scup, togs. Bluff Point is a name I hear often. Black Point is another. Heck, the Race is nearby as is Plum Gut, the Sluiceway, Plum I, Great Gull, Little Gull, Valiant Rock, Race Rock---you're talking fishing paradise.

#7 ·
Well i went out of the boat ramp on Bayberry lane in Groton. Went over to mystic bay and all around there. Trolled some mackeral. Skunked. Stayed out for about 3 hours without a bite. Can anyone tell me where abouts race rock is? What town or bay or cove? Just looking for a new place to fish , thanks.....Jay

#10 ·
Iron, the Race runs between Race Rock and Valiant Rock. When you see the tide rip (and hear it) you'll know why they call it the Race. You have to invest in a good chart of the area, some BIG water that can be treacherous. They do shark/tuna/Mahi Mahi etc runs out of that area but that's "offshore" big boat stuff. I favor the Sluiceway but I like to plug. If you're gonna troll, try tube & worm. If you pitch plugs get some bucktails, shadbodies, Bombers, popping plugs, big swimmers, Hopkins, Kastmasters
etc. Hook up with some locals. Check the local tackle shops--they want you to catch fish. Be careful--that's big water down there.

#12 ·
fishing around Groton

Fished the Thames River at the Coast Guard Academy around 5:30 this morning. The tide was too far out for jigs or swim baits. I managed one schoolie and a nice smack on a small yellow & white popper before I had to get to work. My first surface action of the year.

Went back at lunch and caught a 20" on a 10" fin-s right away. Switched to a yellow & white pencil popper and caught a keeper after a couple of cast. happy3.gif Should have quit while I was ahead. Switched to a needle fish and sacrificed it to the river when the bail closed. Later I lost a 9" sluggo when the double-uni knot hung up in the guide. Swithced back to the pencil popper and had a fish all over it but never hooked him. Decided to try the 10" fin-s again but never got it in the water. I took a tumble down the bank, broke my 8500's handle off and bent the main shaft. I also skinned both elbows, got a lump on my head and took a hunk of hide out of my hand. icon_blackeye.gif At least I didn't go in the water. I do believe the man above was telling me to quit, if only I'd listened the 1st time. BangHead.gif

From what I've heard there are plenty of bass in the river all the way up to Norwich. You can troll from spot to spot and throw plug or a swim bait when you get to good looking location.

#14 ·
Depends on what kinda fishing you are talking about. How big is your boat?

I'm going to assume you are fishing near shore is a 12-16 footer_ If you where putting in a 24 footer you would probably already know what direction to go.

The USGS doesn't have any monitoring stations listed for the Thames but they do show the Quinebaug and it looks 4 to 5 feet high. I can only assume that the Thames is really high and muddy. If you do end up hitting the river best to bring your brightest plugs or plastics. Hot pink/orange etc. The water will be brown and the fish will be spead out_

I just noticed the date on the original post... Guess my comments are sort of irrelevant at this point.:) Oh well_ the river water report applies for this coming weekend anyway!

#15 ·
hey navy, that sucks. I actually put my boat in right in that cove. Bayberry rd boat ramp. I tried all sorts of things over there today , no luck at all with anything. By the way to anyone else, i have a 19 ft bowrider. 140 hp I/O she does all right. Just lookin for some fish!!!

#17 ·
Ironworker: My son and I are going out this Tues 5/23 with his 21 CC to try the race for the first time. Sounds like you're in the same boat, excuse the pun. We'll let you know what our experience is like. We're a bit apprehensive, but I'm sure we can figger sometime out that's safe to handle. I took the gear recommendations off from a primer article called A Primer for Drift Fishing the Race parts 1 and 2. Found it on the CTF site. Oooops, was I sposed to say that? jack

#18 ·
Ironworker: My son and I are going out this Tues 5/23 with his 21 CC to try the race for the first time. Sounds like you're in the same boat, excuse the pun. We'll let you know what our experience is like. We're a bit apprehensive, but I'm sure we can figger sometime out that's safe to handle. I took the gear recommendations off from a primer article called A Primer for Drift Fishing the Race parts 1 and 2. Found it on the CTF site. Oooops, was I sposed to say that? jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.