casting net recommendations? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 07-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Official Member

Default casting net recommendations?

I have a pier I can use to cast a net from. I have never done this but it looks interesting. Could some one recommend a cast net to start off with. I think it would be a neat way to get some minnows up.

Tight lines,

J.R.

Last edited by grady_overnighter; 07-30-2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: signature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Official Member

Default Re: casting net recommendations?

Just for bait - get a 5'-6' or 7' x1/2" or 5/8" net from Betts. Betts Blue or Green. Usually can find them at your local fishing tackle store. A good net that's not to pricy. Practice on the lawn 'til you can pancake it most of the time. Then go for bait. You will at least look like a pro.
PS: on saltwater check it out at low tide - oysters will rip it up. If in salt and you not sure just get the cheapest one you can find.
I have a "ole salt" 4' x1/4 I use for bait. I throw a 8' x 1/2 Betts blue for bait shrimp season and a Hurricane (South Bend) 5' x 1/2' my son uses. It would work good on pogies or bigger bait too if I know the bottom is clean.
BTW you can patch 'um up with dental floss and triple knots or red mono (so you can see it) and double knot with a drop of super glue.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:20 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: casting net recommendations?

Years back i took one of these from a friend who could not use it anymore. I would still not care for the ring it comes with but simple to use off a pier or dock. As he stated above.. the dia of web is critical as a half inch could have every baitfish swim right out before ya pull it up. So know what you need before you buy it.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop...uDwGtiqQ&gl=US