BLACKFISH (Tautog) reason to fish all year long - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Saltwater Species
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Species Whatever else you're catching or want to catch. Cod / Tuna / Fluke / Blues / Weakfish / Tataug / Sea Bass / Flounder / Shark / Snook / Bonefish / Tarpon / Redfish / Barracuda / Sea Trout / Cobia, etc...

Old 11-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Lunker

Default BLACKFISH (Tautog) reason to fish all year long

Any members out there do any Tautog fishing during the winter months? It is a great way to keep on fishing after the Striper season winds down to an end. A very challenging fish to set a hook into, and a great tasting fish for the table. I fished for Tautog a bit last year and plan on doing it even more this year. Anybody interested in sharing ideas on tackle, rods, reels or technique in catching this tricky ugly fish, or fishing with some members feel free to chime in on this thread!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2010, 06:58 PM
Official Member

Default Re: BLACKFISH (Tautog) reason to fish all year long

I go till the end January then take a rest untill Aprill
Old 11-21-2010, 10:49 PM
Striper Hunter

Blackfish are the "fishermans" Fish...You gotta hook them, then you gotta get them outta the Piece of structure you are fishing, Add the cold usually rough windy conditions, Only hardcore fisherman are foolish enough to enjoy this fishery of Which I am one.....plus they are great table fare...my favorite fish to eat.

Live 2 fish
<><
Forced 2 Work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2010, 09:33 AM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Do you fish them from the surf or from a boat? I know they like rocky structure to hide in, stuff they can go inside like caves or wrecks. Finding green crabs may be tricky this time of year, but I may trap a few. If you think it's possible from a jettie that goes into deep water I'll give it a try. That or maybe cod from a rocky point or jettie.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpohlson View Post
Do you fish them from the surf or from a boat? I know they like rocky structure to hide in, stuff they can go inside like caves or wrecks. Finding green crabs may be tricky this time of year, but I may trap a few. If you think it's possible from a jettie that goes into deep water I'll give it a try. That or maybe cod from a rocky point or jettie.
They can be caught from jetties,..But I fish them by boat now almost exclusively..You really gotta know how to setup on the structure , Two Anchors. green crabs , clams, white leggers and fiddlers, ..thats what we bring,

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work
Old 11-22-2010, 05:23 PM
Lunker

My buddy operates a great bottom fishing party boat, so I usually go with them, last year we fished in 80 ft of water over rocky structure and shipwrecks, 50 lb test braided line, I found it very hard to detect the bite with the boat rockin and 8oz of lead bumpin, idea is to keep line in freespool to counteract rocking of boat. and yes they anchor up with 2 anchors, green and white crabs is the bait of choice. I spoke to a few guys who fish them from the surf and do quite well, need rocky bottom, jetties etc. also you can lose lots of rigs, fish try to go into holes after getting hooked and snag you up!.....definitely a fishermans fish!