need rig help - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Official Member

Default need rig help

hello to all,

i am looking to do some fresh water striper fishing in late sept/early oct in sourthern virginia. i would like to bottom fish with shad or alewives. does any one know of a good way to rig these. i do not want to troll. i am thinking of just tying on a three way swivel with sinker on bottom and leader and hook coming off the side. fairly new to striper fishing. any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

garrett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 12:30 AM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Default Re: need rig help

https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ght=fishfinder
Old 08-23-2010, 02:17 PM
swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by g7evans View Post
hello to all,

i am looking to do some fresh water striper fishing in late sept/early oct in sourthern virginia. i would like to bottom fish with shad or alewives. does any one know of a good way to rig these. i do not want to troll. i am thinking of just tying on a three way swivel with sinker on bottom and leader and hook coming off the side. fairly new to striper fishing. any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

garrett
That would work but if there are a lot of weeds I would put an egg sinker on the main line, then a barrel swivel to a leader with hook on it. It's less likely to get hung up. The problem with this rig is if you need to change the weight you have to tie it again.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:01 PM
Striper Hunter

Hi,
Im, new to this site, but have about 25 years of striped bass fishing under me. They are pretty much ALL I fish for here in N.J. from surf and boat.
Definitely use a Fishfinder rig, your hook up ratio will be better as the striper will not be able to feel the weight especially if you are using larger live baits like herring or shad, It will hang up less if you can use a 20-30 lb small Barrel swivel with a duo snap attached to hang the lightest,weight you need ( Tear Drop is best ) to hold bottom . also you should add a bead to the terminal end to protect the knot on the swivel that has the leader and hook. We use this set up in the rips to keep our live baits like herring, bunker and eels down in current but still able to swim freely. With softer baits like clams, chunk baits, and Blood worms its not really needed because bass will usually engulf them right away but larger live baits require the bass to mouth the bait to position it to swallow it head first and the fishfinder gives the fish those few extra seconds to do this before you put the screws to them.

Live to Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work
Fish Whisperer