Confused as to what to use ????? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Official Member

Question Confused as to what to use ?????

I have been fishing in the Warwick Area . This would be at Night as the tide comes in and goes out . The Bass are all around for the night , except when it,s slack tide . They go out deeper until the tide turns and then they are right back at my feet again .

They seem to be keying in on the shiners and nothing else . I have thrown chunk pogies , mackrel , worms and I have thrown Poppers , needles , swim baits , plastics and Flies . All on the large and 4" sizes . They hit on NOTHING but the shiners .

The question is what can I use that will imitate the shiners that they are on . Ant Ideas you might have will be GREATLY appreciated .

Thanks Again and Tight Lines to You All ,
Rebekah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Veteran Elite

Default Re: Confused as to what to use ?????

How about a shiner? Bring a net and a bucket to keep them alive. They are probably smaller fish eating them. Use light tackle and you should have a blast.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Striper Hunter

Rebel makes a diving lure that looks like a shiner. Perhaps add a little fishy scent spray like "gulp" or similar.

Just guessing....
Old 06-30-2009, 06:48 PM
First Mate

Try a Rapala saltwater x-rap, they have really good action and come from 3 inches to 5 and a half inches and in many different colors and patterns (some look like minnows). Heres a link if you want...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...382&hasJS=true
Old 07-01-2009, 09:49 PM
First Mate

Try clams bellies...The place I fish (not too far from you) has tons of the same small fish the stripers are feeding on...I start a slick w/ the clams and use the big piece's for bait...It brings the bait in feeding on the clams and brings the stripers in feeding on both....I've tried several other types of bait in several different years in the same spot and clams outfishes everything else for me....Plus it's cheap bait...It costs me 7 bucks for a gallon bucket....I'll usually buy two buckets and always chumming is key...Outgoing tides usually better but a couple of hours before isn't too bad either...For some reason the slack is slow for me....It's the exact oppposite though when in the boat...I think the fun is finding out what works and having one of those days that you keep trying to re-creat.......Have fun.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:44 AM
NukinFuts

This is a tough one, a situation that is difficult to master. I too run across ordeals such as this a few times a year, usually in the early summer/fall, when bait bio mass is at it's peak, meaning thousands of them in one area, and the Stripers are keyed in on them.
You try everything, and get nothing, as the Stripers rise merely feet or inches away from you inhaling the small bait fish at their leisure.
You would usually to to "match the hatch", meaning you try to replicate what they are feeding on, makes sense, but is made more difficult by the fact, that the Stripers are keyed in on the school of fish, attacking with mouths open and inhaling large amounts at once, not
taking single fish.
If indeed, they are keyed in on larger bait fish, you need to try and duplicate what they are after as close as you can, this isn't a guarantee, but it's better than going at it blindly, and hoping for the best.
As BACKBAYJ mentioned, maybe it's time to catch a few shiners, and live line them. A Striper will pick up or sense that the bait fish on your hook isn't quite right, and will key in on it (taking out the weak).
If the Stripers aren't touching the bait, say it's a bit too lively for it's own good, take a pair of scissors to it's tail, and cut a portion of it off. This will cripple the bait fish, and should make it more distressful, again, allowing for the Striper to key in on it.
Sometimes changing up tactics, such as presenting a larger offering than the bait fish itself, will elicit a strike. Good luck
Old 07-03-2009, 08:18 AM
First Mate

Have you tried soft bait? Like slug gos, Hogy, Got Stryper? You may also find some luck as I have with smaller swim bait colored the same or similar to the "hatch". I have had pretty good luck with Storm swim bait and they are pretty cheap.
One other thing you may want to try if you are using a swimmer like a rebal 4"+ is to use a teaser(fly) w/hook about a foot an a half or so in front of it. Bass are honery and many times as I've been told they will go after the teaser instead of the larger lure behind it as kind of an eff you to the other fish. Be careful though as I think when that 1st striper strikes it triggers something in the others and on a few occasions I have had doubles and more than once lost both or the lure as it's tough to fight 2 fish on the same line but it sure is fun
Old 07-03-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddogs
The question is what can I use that will imitate the shiners that they are on
Are you sure they arent rainfish? (aka - anchovies) Shiners are a freshwater fish.
Try a 1/2 - 3/4 ounce white bucktail and maybe get in a little practice bucktailing.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Veteran Elite

I was trying to keep it simple. They are not shiners they are silversides. You can hand net them snag them or use a minnow trap. Either way they are easy to catch. Use a small light hook to liveline them with and a lighter rod, reel and line. Don't bother with lures in this situation as you already proved nothing else worked. Live bait is always better than plastic, rubber ect. Go to Wally World and grab a minnow trap and a mesh hand net. You can even throw bread to attract them to your net or trap or you can use crushed mussels that are free or any other bait you may have. Silversides will eat anything. I wouldn't expect to catch a 50lber though but it is perfectly ok if you prove me wrong
Old 07-04-2009, 07:35 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghilie View Post
Try a Rapala saltwater x-rap, they have really good action and come from 3 inches to 5 and a half inches and in many different colors and patterns (some look like minnows). Heres a link if you want...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...382&hasJS=true
I 2nd that one. I just got one of those X-Raps, well actually 2 or 3 of them, I forget. I did get the same one you have the link to and they swim great. I have not fished them for stripers yet, as I just tossed them into the lake to see how they swim.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:32 AM
Striper Hunter

try a shad pattern tsunami swim bait as far as size mimic the size you see swimming by. Also buck tails that are similar color and size to the bait will work when finicky smaller ones seem to produce better. if they are busting on the surface goto the yozurri hydro pop .
Old 07-13-2009, 09:43 AM

If it is rainfish (aka Bay anchovie or glass minnow) usually less than 3 inches. You can tell the difference between them and spearing (atlantic silversides) by the single dorsal fin. The silversides have 2 dorsal fins.
They can drive you nuts when the fish are on them.

Try using a teaser in front of your lure. Milt Rosko recommends a teaser thats chartruese and white with several strands of silver mylar. A clouser minnow, deceiver or surf candy.