rods n reels for surf n jetty fishing - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Shorebound - Surf Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Shorebound - Surf Beginners Information for the Shorebound angler

Old 05-18-2010, 10:57 PM
Official Member

Default Re: rods n reels for surf n jetty fishing

Thanks zimno,
I actually just picked up a 30 for the boat, and a 50 for the surf. I like chunking with bait runners, but sometimes I get restless and want to do more. Also, so many long time anglers I know say, once you learn how to use artificial lures you'll nver go back. I don't know about that, but there must be something to it, cause alot of them say it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Quote:
Should I stay under 24 ozs and use braid, or is it okay to ger the pts 70 which is about 29 ounces and go with mono. Is that to heavy of a reel, will it be tiring. Thanks for the feed back.
Stay as light as you can. 29 oz. is way too heavy! Quantum also wouldn't be my choice in the surf. Look at Stradic, Saragosa, both by Shimano or get a Penn.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

the stradic is like 2 bills and the saragossa is like three give or take. the cabo is maybe 150.00. and the 40 would stand up to either one of those imo. i would really like the bailess saragossa though. i think that is one overlooked reel out there. i have not cast it so i can't say it wouldn't be a better reel than the cabo but, the drag on the cabo is way too purty.. the 5500 penn is not bad till the bail wire craps out on you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010, 11:15 AM

I second the cabo. I use the 50 all the time.
Great for a 10 footer. Best not used around sand, but then what is.
Surf and jetties are different than shoreline, bulkheads and docks - your reel is going to get wet.
Penn 704 or 710 grease packed or zeebaas or van staal, if you can afford one.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:39 PM
Official Member

Hello All,

Thank you for this site. Very informative.I am new to the sport of Stripper fishing. I have been out 3 or 4 times only to come home empty handed. I have been trying chunks of mackrel at Pine Point. What am I doing wrong? I know its fishing and not catching, but at little success wouldn't hurt my feelings. I plan on going out a few evenings this week. Any pointers? I have 50lb tess line with a steel liter with a triangle weight and stripper hook. This could be completly wrong.

Sorry for the lack of knowledge,just trying to have some fun eat a few of those tasty fish ;)
Todd
Old 08-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Official Member

Sorry but I've come late and have some questions on this topic too. Hope people are still monitoring this thread.

Most of my surf fishing opportunities are when traveling. Otherwise, its local river piers and off my zodiac for me. So I feel the need to use a 8ft 6 inch 3 piece travel rod when I go to the beach because I was advised not to worry about casting too far out and that fish forage just beyond the breakers which about 30 ft out on the beaches I visit. Now this is when I target croaker and spot. Is this sound advice for stripers as well? Do I really need a 10-12 footer? Do I need to cast. Country mile? Id like to target stripers in the surf but wud have problems transporting even a two or three piece 12 foot rod and I find it cumbersome casting such a long rod. I've had my eye on a 9 ft 3 inch 3 piece travel rod but that seems to be the limit for me now. Can anybody shed some light on the need to cast distance for me?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:41 PM

Distance depends on where you fish. By me, jetty country NJ, you really don't need to cast far. Drive an hour south and the bar is way out, hard to reach with a 10'er. In the fall when the fish are stacked and mostly in the 10# range a smaller rod is a lot of fun. In the spring when there are 40's around that same 8'er is not going to cut it.

Also, if you hook up with a pig you might have trouble landing it with a little 8'er
Old 08-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Striper Hunter

Not knowing much about surf or jetty fishing I ended up with 2 inexpensive Shimanos rods 9' rated 3/4-4oz and a 8' Ugly Stick rated 3/4-3oz. Then on flea bay purchased a used Shimmy BTRs 6500,4500 and Penn 5500. Put everything together and when at the shore they get fished with various baits, lures, jigs and plugs. Setup my chair and with my toes in the water drink in my hand a "fishin I go". Fish surf & jettys with those outfits.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striperjim View Post
I second the cabo. I use the 50 all the time.
Great for a 10 footer. Best not used around sand, but then what is.
Surf and jetties are different than shoreline, bulkheads and docks - your reel is going to get wet.
Penn 704 or 710 grease packed or zeebaas or van staal, if you can afford one.
I love my pt40 on my 8 ft rod, its all i use in the surf and its perfect for the sand beaches and jetties in the mid cape here where smaller bait is prevelant. best spinning reel i've owned. smooth as puppy poo. as far as sand goes, just ahhh, dont get any in it........? if you do wash it out with fresh water hose, problem solved? same for every reel ever made, save a vs or zee with a sealed body
Old 04-14-2013, 11:02 AM
Official Member

Hi; to all. I'm somewhat new to surf fishing. I've done lots of fresh water fishing with light tackle. I currently use the 12 ft. st. croix mojo surf rods (spinnng & casting) with shimano 12000 Thunnus c14 bait runner & newell S 235-5 reels, both spooled with 50lb. braid. Any suggestions on how get the best performance out of these combos using bait & Lures/plugs. Thank you all.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

dump the 50 and drop down to thirty braid on the thunnus..
you can still chuck plugs/pencils with that beast but bucktails/light stuff would be sketchy but not out of the realm of possibility.. casting plugs with the conv. will likely drive you nuts after the first birdsnest you achieve.. perhaps a more suitable setup as the 12' rod and a heavy reel like that might give a lesser man a bit of fatigue.. but i don't beat anyone up any more for tackle preference.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Official Member

Thanks. Would you say combos are best suited for cut baits/chunking? Also would spining reels & bait cast reels best for lures/plugs w/ a lighter rod?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:44 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_one View Post
Thanks. Would you say combos are best suited for cut baits/chunking? Also would spining reels & bait cast reels best for lures/plugs w/ a lighter rod?
what combo's? litterally loaded question about both reel/rod applications... i may have assumed you only want to use what you have. if you are in the market for the right set-up for the right type of fishing situation then that would help make some sense of it.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Official Member

Hi,

I see this thread hasn'r been touched in a while, but maybe someone has some advice. I am a novice budget fisherman. I am planning to pier/jetty fish on Raritan bay in NJ.

I saw the uglystick striper salt/fresh water combo but I am not able to find any reviews.

Would you reccommend this to a novice who goes out for 3-4 hours a couple times a month?

Thanks
Old 10-08-2013, 04:55 PM
Duke of Fluke

Not sure if your still following this thread but that Shakespeare reel looks like a cheap version of an Abu 6500 - you can find deals on them and they are solid machines. As far as the rod you can get away with a cheaper rod(IMO) to match the Abu up with, Shakespeare is not an African dance but a decent budget rod.