New NY inland record striper caught today! - Page 4 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: New NY inland record striper caught today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXK883 View Post
Wow that's awesome!

That's where and how I usually fish (Newburgh bay/bloodworms)...damn it could have been me! Amazing to think there are things that big down there. And great to see the new record holder is from Orange County (I'm in Warwick)! My 13 year old son caught his first striper on Saturday...maybe 7 pounds, he said it felt like he was gonna get pulled off the boat. I think your fish actually could have...

Oh, and I gotta agree with DocZ in an earlier post...not sure how you can consider it "spot burning" when you are talking about a place like Newburgh bay. I was out Sunday, there were at least 75 boats floating around out there...not exactly a secret spot.
75 will be nothing this weekend!! Pretty sure you will be able to walk to shore without getting wet. It's a BIG popular spot with plenty of fish for everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2014, 12:20 PM
First Mate

Ian or Eric, did either of you guys examine the stomach contents of your fish? Curious what else huge cows like that were gobbling up. Eric, you prob could have had a lifetime of bloodworms in that thing! haha. Or maybe a small child..

Wow you're right, RiverBasin gave you like one sentence "Whether that 60 pounder that was just caught down in the Newburgh area might have belonged to the same grouping appears doubtful but doesn’t really concern us since that angler is not in our contest." Man I been waiting for his report all week hoping a full essay on your fish.

Yeah i usually drift newburgh the same way. I typically like traveling farther north because the fish are supposedly bigger, but now that i see it's possible a huge one might be down there i might just not have to travel so much. Just the thought that a big fish could be sniffing my worm gives me more hope to stay out longer when nothing is biting.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:32 PM
2014 stripers caught - 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaflu View Post
Ian or Eric, did either of you guys examine the stomach contents of your fish? Curious what else huge cows like that were gobbling up. Eric, you prob could have had a lifetime of bloodworms in that thing! haha. Or maybe a small child..

Wow you're right, RiverBasin gave you like one sentence "Whether that 60 pounder that was just caught down in the Newburgh area might have belonged to the same grouping appears doubtful but doesn’t really concern us since that angler is not in our contest." Man I been waiting for his report all week hoping a full essay on your fish.

Yeah i usually drift newburgh the same way. I typically like traveling farther north because the fish are supposedly bigger, but now that i see it's possible a huge one might be down there i might just not have to travel so much. Just the thought that a big fish could be sniffing my worm gives me more hope to stay out longer when nothing is biting.

Couple years ago, DEC was out on a boat just south of Cornwall Yacht club. When they shocked the water, they netted a 80pound striper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2014, 05:03 PM
Official Member

I brought her to the taxidermist around 4:00 Wednesday and he said he wasn't going to skin it until the next day so I couldn't watch to see what was in the belly. I can only imagine.....eels/herring/Jimmy Hoffa? I should hear back from the DEC about the age soon though. Their initial thought was well over 20 years.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:21 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglethedangle View Post
Couple years ago, DEC was out on a boat just south of Cornwall Yacht club. When they shocked the water, they netted a 80pound striper
Yup they are out there. Theyve got to be smarter than average or just real lucky to make it there.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:58 PM
2014 stripers caught - 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNskY View Post
Yup they are out there. Theyve got to be smarter than average or just real lucky to make it there.
Yea, they don't live that long and get that big by being stupid

Where there's small fish, there's big fish, and wheres there big fish, there's even bigger fish
Old 05-19-2014, 09:14 PM
wellsley

It's official DEC has just posted of their web page.

plake 13 lb. 8 oz. 31 Jonathan Simon Rapala Limekiln Lake, Herkimer Co. 6/27/04
Striped Bass 60 lb. 0 oz. 53
Eric ******
Blood Worm
Hudson River, Orange Co. 5/14/14
Tiger Muskellunge 35 lb. 8 oz. 50 Brett Gofgosky Sucker Tioughnioga River, Broome Co. 5/25/90

Congrats.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:42 PM
First Mate

How big was the bloodworm? lol