So, Herring are done? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Official Member

Default So, Herring are done?

Mackerel is the go-to bait fish now because all the herring have RUN off? (Get it: RUN?) The next fish in is Bunker, right? When do the macks go and the bunkers come? Is there ever a bait-fish overlap where more than one species is around and on the menue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2009, 08:24 AM
swabbie

Default Re: So, Herring are done?

Depends what area you are talking about. The switches tend to happen first towards the south and later towards the north. Macks hang around until the bluefish arrive in force and chase them off. Some years that takes longer than others...

The poogies could show up at any time, but at least in the haba they tend to show up later in the summer from my limited experience.

Don't forget about harbor pollack, sea herring, and scup (if you are south of Boston).
Old 06-10-2009, 05:39 AM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

Where I fish, there is always some bait around, herring, squid, bunker, than the sand eels, and silversides, and peanuts, snappers, mullet, than herring. Most of this is coastal bait, and hugs the shore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2009, 07:13 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

the herring run is NOT over... it wont be for 4 or five weeks..

Mackerel are the "go to" bait now for several reasons, first and foremost.. they are legal.. river herring are not...Secondly, due to our topografic location, the arrival of large schools of mackerel coinsides witrh the arrival of the first large pods of large bass, Mackerel will stay in our waters all summer if massive schools of bluefish do not invade the area...

as far as pogies go, there was a time when we had them from late May until October.... the last few years have seen very few schools of pogies stay in the river..but they will never replace mackerel as a main forage fisbh this far north.

Your leaving out sea worms.. a very important part of the summer culture.. the hatch will be soon...
Old 06-15-2009, 01:31 PM
First Mate

saturday we were fishing the merrimack and looked down to see one lone river herring swng by right on the top very slowly, so slow i could of netted hime if wanted, 1st time ive seen 1....
Old 06-15-2009, 07:46 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Herring may not be done, but Macs are going to be hard to come by.. a large school of choppers invaded the area on Friday.. tough to find Macks now..
Old 06-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
Herring may not be done, but Macs are going to be hard to come by.. a large school of choppers invaded the area on Friday.. tough to find Macks now..
Agreed.. this is NOT a repeat of last year. I've talked with a couple of guys that found some, but held onto the secret location.. any tips of finding them? PM me if it's specific.. I go out of the Merrimack zoo
Old 06-17-2009, 07:13 AM
Striper Hunter

The herring run in the Hudson River this year was huge. There were herring there for close to 10 weeks. And in NY we are still allowed to use them for bait.

Right about now herring are setting into their off shore pattern and if you see gannets divebombing the ocean, the bait they are hammering are usually herring.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:40 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
great....right as i get by boat fixed...again now the macks ae up n smoke! but that would explain the 2 break offs on fish we had last saturday!
i kinda liked it last year no blues til august...
Old 06-17-2009, 09:27 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsnova View Post
great....right as i get by boat fixed...again now the macks ae up n smoke! but that would explain the 2 break offs on fish we had last saturday!
i kinda liked it last year no blues til august...

Saturday I was catching them( blue fish) on cod jigs in 160' of water.... if the winds ever stop blowing east, the blues will scatter and some Mackerel will return..
Old 06-19-2009, 08:00 AM
First Mate

so...whats the go-to bait in the mean time? i heard blues were full force this week @ PI, i know eels @ night but what about day light hrs?? back to chunk bait? ..... just as i was starting to get the hang of jigging up macks.....lol
Old 06-19-2009, 09:26 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsnova View Post
so...whats the go-to bait in the mean time? i heard blues were full force this week @ PI, i know eels @ night but what about day light hrs?? back to chunk bait? ..... just as i was starting to get the hang of jigging up macks.....lol

Plugs, jigs tube and worm.. even live lined worms... the possibilities are endless.. chunk bait is fisne if you want small fish.. there are plenty of them..

East wind = bluefish.. low tide in the mouth, first half of the incoming.. but be carefull the mouth is wild and the river is a ribbon of mud and floating debris..
Old 06-19-2009, 09:39 AM
First Mate

ya i was thinking that all the rain will probally wash the river of majority of bait and make it muddy...i may skip fishing in the rain this weekend and take a day off next week with better conditions.... we'll see...
wonder why the blue fish are so early this year and so late last year?....wierd....
Old 06-22-2009, 12:44 PM
Banned

I am really surprised to hear that there are so many blues up there they seem to have bypassed some of my spots (only caught 2 all season, thank god!) that are south of you guys.