Newbie here. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Meh?

Default Newbie here.

Hello to those on this forum. I'm kind of a newbie to Boston, just moved up for the summer and I'm looking for some good striper fishing. I have had decent experience striper fishing down in in MD at Indian River but I'm looking for some spots up here to fish. I don't have a boat which is going to make it that much more difficult to fish but I figure I should still be able to fish off of some piers or jetties and still get some decent fishing done. I'm looking for something within decent range of the subway or bus line if anyone could give me some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Newbie here.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:25 PM
First Mate

Boston Harbor I hear holds Fish...

Really though, it's a big city, where abouts you starting out of...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009, 04:05 AM
Meh?

I will be starting out of Brighton but I can and am willing to get anywhere along any of the subway lines. If there are any piers or jetties in Quincy Bay that would be a good start, also Broad Sound if anyone has fished there.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:12 AM
psuedo-NOOBIE

Welcome to the Bay State! I've lived in Quincy all my life and fished around from time to time but this is my first year specifically targeting stripers so I'm just a noob as well. (caught my first one by accident while goin' after flounder. Damn! That was fun) There's tons of places to fish around here, but whether or not they're holding is the luck of the draw. One of the best tools I've used so far is Google maps. You can really zoom in and get details of the shore. I just tried a new place this morning. And you know you're on target when you see lots of other people setting up poles around you. If you don't have a car than Quincy is great 'cuz we've got subways and buses running all over the place. Do some research and talk to people. Good luck out there. If you want give me a PM and we can compare notes... seems like you know stripers and I know the area.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Banned

I have fished up there extensively when I lived in the North end. Fishing can be good to excellent depending on the location. Now the fun part is you getting off the computer and fishing some of these spots. No one is going to offer that info up on a public forum, you have to go do the work!!!! However I can say that once you spend a couple hours on the water instead of on the keyboard you'll figure it out quick. The fish can be found on both the south and north shores.....oh and try to stay away from the seasonal herring spots as they are starting to slow and you'll find less crowds and bigger fish elsewhere.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Meh?

It is true that going out and doing the fishing would be great but I have no clue where to go, let alone fish, that makes it tough, google maps doesn't reveal much. As a community, I would at least hope that someone would point me in the right direction, just so I can start off somewhere. In addition, by me asking this, I'm not expecting an exact location on a public forum, that's just nonsense. I would expect those who know what their talking about to pm me with some suggestions. Going out and doing the fishing would be great but there are many time constraints with work and not having a car up here for the summer. I wish I could go out for hours on end and fish every few miles of both the south and north shore but that might be difficult even for one who is walking with a backpack and a rod. Even pointing out regions along the shore where I can stand farther out say areas with jetties or piers will be great help no need to give specific directions. Even referring to certain areas you may have passed by is good enough. I'm just asking for some pointers, nothing more.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Official Member

I'm going to assume you can only use public transportation since you mentioned the subway:

In Everett, you have the rte 99 bridge where everyone seems to hang out instead of fish (you can take the subway somewhat nearby and walk over).
Black Falcon terminal is the same kind of bait fishing but you'd need to take the bus. Ditto Castle island and bus and walking.
You can also take the subway over to battery wharf and take a water taxi over to various islands and hit their beaches.

Hope that helps. A lot of other spots you'd need a car to get to so you might want to do the zipcar thing...
Old 06-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Meh?

Thanks for the suggestions mate, I really appreciate it. Think I'll try those as soon as possible just to get started. You don't know how much that helps.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:25 PM
swabbie

Welcome to Boston! I would suggest that you take T to a Boston Harbor ferry (it used to be next to the aquiriam). The ferry will take you to the islands where you can fish from shore. Higher tides are usually better near the islands but any tide can produce if you find a hole. The islands get you away from the crowds, have better scenary, and can offer very productive fishing.

Also, if you search this site on "boston" you'll find plenty of good info - I did :)
Old 06-05-2009, 07:14 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Welcome aboard! Enjoy the bay state. No boat needed to get into fish for sure. I don't know the harbor but I am sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:40 AM
psuedo-NOOBIE

Default FYI

Dont' think this is really gonna cause any kind of commotion so I'm gonna go ahead and post it. Just came back in from low tide in Quincy Bay. Sat out on a jetty for an hour and picked up a l'il bitty schoolie. Then my wife called and told me to come home and contain the animal referred to as our 3 year old son. Does the presence of schoolies mean their daddy's are nearby or totally the opposite?
Old 06-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Banned

Keep fishing and you'll figure it out....