Metal Lip Shape Question - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Sonny

Default Metal Lip Shape Question

Hey all:

What does the forward bend in the tip of a Danny lip do? If it wasnt there, would the action change much?

Regards
Sonny
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 10:23 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: Metal Lip Shape Question

Not sure which bend you are referring too, whether you mean the actual bend that make the final angle or the "curling" of the leading edged of the lip...

The first bend helps the plug dig enough to hold in a current, versus a flat faced lip that will cause it to lose contact with the water and roll out more easily..

the "curling" is added most times by the fisherman as a way of controlling the roll of a plug and help stabilize the swimming action ... this is usually done in the tuning process...
Old 08-31-2010, 06:25 PM
Sonny

Thanks Roc

That means I need to tune the Danny I have. It doesnt have the little curl at its end. It does exactly what you describe. It doesnt dig in and rolls if the water is rough. It was like it had no resistance when being retrieved. It does work if retrieved slowly on flat water. The lip is brass. Do you think it wise to use a vice to bend it? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sonny
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2010, 10:14 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

alot of Danny style plugs roll out, IMHO, most builders do not use enough lead in the belly, thus leading to a high center of gravity...as far as the bending of the lip... go slow, a little goes a long way, a good pair of pliars are all yo need.. I have a jig I made from aluminum ( so I wont scratch the metal) that I use pre-installation for curling the lips on my Danny's, Conrads and slope heads...Salty makes a Jr. conrad lip that already has the modification in it.... I plan on trying a Dannny style plug using the lip, but need to modify my plug a little to acomodatte the lip... that said, on my large Danny's I use a #3 Pikie lip , I feel it give me a little better action at the slow speed i desire..
Old 09-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Sonny

Roc

It does feel kind of light. It is about 6 inches long and weighs a little less than 1 ounce Maybe I should try making one myself and playing with the weight. I have a lathe and a couple of months ago The Fisherman had a good break down of the Danny Jr. From what I remember they only weighted it in the center with a split shod. What would you recommend for weight in the Jr. size?

Regards
Sonny
Old 09-02-2010, 09:00 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Dave did a good job on the break down of the plug.... the amount of weight you add will depend on the wood, I use mostly WRC for those plugs ( 6" size) I use the standard Danny lip, and approx 1/4 ounce of lead ( use a metric scale and add by the gram) but test the fists few of the bastch closely to be sure they are weighted the way i want... Clear withe pine make a good Danny as well...as it is denser, less weight will be needed... trial and error is your best friend..
Old 09-03-2010, 01:36 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

I used poplar on some danny's I made this winter. Nice weight to them. The only problem with poplar is it does not take water well. it will split with intrusion. That being said so long as the plug is sealed quite well It isn't a problem. Best of Luck. Check out Roc's tutorial on the danny also. Very helpful for the first time builder. It is what got me into building my own.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Sonny

Thanks gents.

I am going to try my hand at making some Danny's. I have been making lipped stick baits for a few years and I think I have that dialed in now. I bought a lathe some months back and I want to try my hand at some turned baits.

This now sparks another question.....

Why are some Danny's blind? (no eyes)

Regards
Sonny