Introduction of a new federal bill to stop Commercial striper fishing - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Striper Information & Services > Striped Bass Fishery Conservation / Politics / Management / News > Stripers Forever
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers Forever This is a new forum dedicated to Stripers Forever and it's mission to make the Striped Bass a gamefish. You will find all the releases and info from Stripers Forever here. Please help support S.F. and it's cause!

Old 06-08-2007, 09:23 AM

Exclamation Introduction of a new federal bill to stop Commercial striper fishing

Stripers Forever members - here is exciting news about the introduction of a new federal bill that would stop the destructive influence that commercial fishing has on the welfare of striped bass. The bill is too new to have been assigned a number, but we will be closely following this legislation and urging all our members to ask their congressional representatives to support it. We appreciate the long-standing commitment of both Congressmen Pallone and Allen to conservation and applaud their support for recreational fishing and the industry that it generates. Here is the press release forwarded to us by Congressman Tom Allen's office.

Rep. Tom Allen Introduces Legislation to Protect Striped Bass from Commercial Fishing
Legislation would give striped bass game fish status throughout their range

Washington, D.C.---U.S. Representative Tom Allen, a Member of the Congressional Sportsmen's Caucus, introduced legislation today with Rep. Frank Pallone (D-NJ) to make striped bass a game fish rather than a commercial fish throughout its range. Many Eastern Seaboard states, including Maine, have already banned commercial fishing for the popular game fish, recognizing its far greater economic value as a highly sought-after prize for recreational anglers. Banning commercial fishing throughout the striped bass’s range would allow populations of the fish, which nearly disappeared in the 1980s, to continue to rebuild and support the robust recreational fishery.

“Striped bass have become one of Maine’s most valuable sport fish, drawing thousands of anglers to Maine’s coast and supporting guides, tackle shops, and charter services worth tens of millions of dollars,” said Representative Allen. “Maine has done an excellent job managing stripers, but because most Maine striped bass migrate here each spring from other states, we’re vulnerable to their commercial fisheries. Protecting stripers from commercial pressure is the right thing for Maine’s anglers, the small businesses they support, and the ecology of Maine’s coast.”

“Stripers Forever, with over 10,000 members representing every state in America, applauds Congressmen Allen and Pallone for introducing this legislation,” said Brad Burns, President of Stripers Forever, which advocates game fish status for striped bass. “This bill recognizes the vastly superior economic value that striped bass have to society when managed for recreational fishing. The pressure of commercial exploitation on this resource makes it impossible to manage it conservatively enough to optimize its value to the more than three million citizens who fish recreationally for striped bass on the East Coast.”

Currently Maine, New Hampshire, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina prohibit commercial fishing for striped bass, while Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina still maintain commercial fisheries for the species. Though recreational anglers vastly outnumber commercial fishermen, 40% of the total harvest is allocated for commercial fishermen.

“There is no question that game fish status for striped bass throughout their range is the right decision for the resource, especially when you look at the economic value of every fish caught,” added Ian Burnes, Executive Director of the Coastal Conservation Association of Maine.

The legislation introduced by Reps. Allen and Pallone bans commercial fishing for striped bass in the “exclusive economic zone,” waters from three to 200 miles from shore; and directs the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission, which regulates fisheries within three miles of the coastline, to ban commercial fishing for striped bass there as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2007, 01:54 AM
Super Moderator

Talking Re: Introduction of a new federal bill to stop Commercial striper fishing

its about time that something is getting done
Old 01-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Lunker

Default Re: Introduction of a new federal bill to stop Commercial striper fishing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2008, 02:07 PM
VETERAN STRIPER QUEEN

Default Re: Introduction of a new federal bill to stop Commercial striper fishing

striperjim

if at all possiple could you send a copy of the bill to me or my husband so i can write to the congressmen in new york, i would like to see this one pass. the comercial fishing in the ny harbor greatly effect the sriper fishing on the hudson. thank you.

theresa
Old 01-16-2008, 05:16 PM
Lunker

Default urging all to contact your congessman

I just sent my congressman V Fossella SI/BKLYN an e mail urging him to vote for the banning of commercial striped bass fishing as other states have.
I urge evryone else to do so, it takes a few minutes to google your congressman's website and send him a request. I also pasted the text from the proposal so he knows what i was talking about,
Old 01-17-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa
if at all possiple could you send a copy of the bill to me or my husband so i can write to the congressmen in new york, i would like to see this one pass. the comercial fishing in the ny harbor greatly effect the sriper fishing on the hudson. thank you.
theresa
Theresa I believe the bill is in comitteee. This link will list the Congressman who will be voting on the Bill before it goes to the senate if it doesnt die again in comitee.
House natural resourses comitteee http://www.govtrack.us/congress/committee.xpd?id=HSII
The 48 member comitte has 1 representative from N.Y.
Rep. Maurice Hinchey [D-NY]

HR2625 is a bill that was introduced to the 110th Congress in June 2007
HR2625 June 2007.pdf
103rd Congress: H.R. 393 (Status: Dead)
104th Congress: H.R. 393 (Status: Dead)
105th Congress: H.R. 393 (Status: Dead)
106th Congress: H.R. 934(Status: Dead)
107th Congress: H.R. 470 (Status: Dead)
108th Congress: H.R. 1286 (Status: Dead)
109th Congress: H.R. 2059(Status: Dead)
110th Congress: H.R. 2625 (Status: Introduced)

Government track US