Trotlines - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Freshwater Tackle Box
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Freshwater Tackle Box freshwater supplies reels and tackle discussion

Old 08-22-2006, 11:26 PM
Pro Staff

My hatred of trot lines and the people that use them for recreation is equal to my hatred of poachers,,, and I make no apologies for that.

There is no sport in it, there is no selectivity, there is no hunt, there is nothing redeeming about it in any way. There is no such thing as a quick, low stress catch and release of short or bycatch fish. Even if you keep a very close eye on it, a high percentage of trot line caught fish are gut hooked and the chances of a healthy release are very minimal. The truth of the matter is that most people using trot lines will bait them and then leave them unattended for hours, usually overnight. No matter what you say about not leaving them unattended, the fact of the matter is that any fish you catch on a trot line is going to be hooked longer and more stressed (if not dead) upon release.

Where I grew up in the Midwest, trot lines were common in the rivers and lakes. I grew up with MANY people who used them. The only thing that is left behind whenever I come across one is the dog tag and I've tossed more than one dumbass in the water for trying to stop me from pulling the thing out and destroying it.

This is what you'll run into if you choose to use this low down, scum of the earth meathod of "recreational fishing". So be warned....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2006, 12:02 AM

Thanks Bait.
I didnt mean to put words in your mouth.
The initial thread was edited beyond the original question
Old 08-23-2006, 01:52 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

I have to agree. I see no sport in it, and I do not see it as sportsmenlike. But to each his own.

But, with that crap like that, its no wonder PETA is giving us anglers so much crap!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2006, 08:12 AM
Pro Staff

Here a quote from the link he posted... which promotes leaving the baited line in the water,, checking it only once in the morning and once in the evening.

"Don't forget what tree you tied your line to. (You could mark it with a bit of cloth or something, but the real fishermen will laugh at you if you do.)"

No,,,, the real fishermen will make sure there is no trot line left for you to return to.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:11 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

I agree 100%. It doesnt seem sporting, and the risks of killing fish unintentionally seem too high.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:17 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitrunner
Here a quote from the link he posted... which promotes leaving the baited line in the water,, checking it only once in the morning and once in the evening.

"Don't forget what tree you tied your line to. (You could mark it with a bit of cloth or something, but the real fishermen will laugh at you if you do.)"

No,,,, the real fishermen will make sure there is no trot line left for you to return to.
lol i feel where your coming from and the only reason i did it was to try it im also a conservationist im usually out fly fishing in Oswego somewhere its not like its really fun going out fishing with trotlines id pull one out of the water if i were to see. The hooks get stuck to stuff and practical caught more fish on my rod than from those hooks. Im sorry if i angered anyone and it wasnt intentional.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:34 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Naw, ya didnt anger anyone. We're always lookin' for sumthin ta bitch about when the fishin' might be slow

Old 08-24-2006, 07:57 AM
Pro Staff

Not angy at ya bro... just tryin to get ya to step back and see the bigger picture here. When I first laid eyes on a trot line when I was a little kid and saw all those hooks I thought it was pretty cool too. Once I started to see first hand how devastating they can be to a fishery, and how many unwanted fish were caught and subsuquently died unnecessarily, I changed my tune real quick.
There's nothing like pulling up someone's trot line from a lake and unhooking 20 dead small fish that should have been released unharmed seconds after being caught so that they could finish growing up. Or pulling a trot line out and struggling to revive half dead fish that couldn't have been kept anyway. Where I grew up we had a daily limit of 10 catfish. The worst thing is to see a guy pull up a trot line with 30 - 40 keeper size dead fish. Watch him try to make the decision. Do I keep them all (poaching), or do I throw 30 dead keepers back into the water (worse than poaching because they died for nothing). Trot lines breed poacher scum, there's no way around it.
Stick to the rod and reel my friend,,, your freezer might not be as full,, but you'll sleep better at night and so will I.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:20 AM
Senior Member Elite

Trotlines and longlines, IMO, have no place in the recreational fishermens arsenal. Commercial....maybe.

Besides fish, they're responsible for the deaths of birds, seals, beavers, otters, and other aquatic creatures. The only area I'd be open for discussion would be for sustainance. For example, if some remote fishing village (fresh or saltwater) depends on using this technique to feed their people, then I think it should be considered. But that's not really my definition of recreational fishing.

Recreational: Mortality rate for the fish is quite high as compared to other recreational fishing techniques. Also, recreational fishing is 95% about the sport and as Bait said, there's no sport to these fishing methods. Yes, I take an occasional fish as table fare. But, if it was only about the table fare, it would be much cheaper for me to go down to the fish market and just buy the fish rather than invest in all the equipment I have......rods, reels, bait, boat, gas...... Absolutely no place in recreational fishing that I can think of......End of story.

Commercial: Here's where the dilemma exists. First, the commercial regs are one big mess because they're not in-line with most of the various commercial fishing techniques. All commercial fishing techniques using nets aren't fish and size specific enough. Culling usually doesn't work cause most are already dead. So when longlining and trotlining are compared to these netting techniques (Purse seining, trawl, dredge, drift, or fixed gill netting) given our existing regs, I guess I'd pick trotlines and longlines over netting becasue it's a more species specific technique and if lines are brought in within a specific time-frame, the mortallity is much lower than netting of any type with better quality fish.

This is somewhat off topic but IMO, I think all commercial netting should be banned regardless of whether the regs are modified. They can't be modified enough to suite the needs of maintaining a healthy fishery. If, for one reason or another, commercials can't use harpoons, longlines, or pole and lines. Then the fishery shouldn't be targetted by commercials.

Fish-farming/aqua-culture should be the dominate method for producing fish for commercial purposes. Right now, about 1/5th of the commercially available fish are farmed. It should be 4/5th's, just the opposite.