Trotlines - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Freshwater Tackle Box
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Freshwater Tackle Box freshwater supplies reels and tackle discussion

Old 08-18-2006, 10:14 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Trotlines

A trot line is a long cord with a lot of fish hooks dangling from it. In this area you can run 25 hooks on a non-commercial license. I have known commercial fishermen who ran hundreds of hooks at a time, but 25 is quite enough for me.

With a trot line you can completely cover the width of a channel with your hooks. Tie your line to one side of the channel, stretch your line across and tie off to the other side - any fish passing thru will come near one of your hooks.

You can run your line out into a lake, too. Just tie a brick to the end of your line to weigh it down or tie a floating marker to it.

So, here's how you make a trot line:

You will need to go to a fishing supply store and gather your materials. To make a 25-hook line you will need:

40 - 50 yards of strong, heavy cord
25 swivels
50 clamps
50 feet lightweight cord
25 hooks
1. Leave 10 - 15 ft of line at the end for tying off, then start placing a clamp- swivel- clamp ...spaced a yard apart. The clamps are to keep the swivels and drop lines spaced apart from each other so they don't get tangled together. If you can't find good clamps, tie knots in the main line instead.

2. Make 25 drop lines. Take 2 foot lengths (longer if that suits your needs) of your lighter weight line, knot them into a loop and add a hook to each one.

3. Attach a drop line with hook to each swivel. You may want to do this part as you rack the line.

Website http://www.marshbunny.com/mbunny/sid.../trotline.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2006, 10:35 AM

Muriqi.
Depends on where your fishing. The regs are different in each state.
In the southern states they allow the use of trot lines in places for cats. A trot line is basically a rope with multiple hooks on it.
What your probably referring to is a sabiki or something similar.
The sabiki is generally used for catching bait and you can hand line them if you chose that method. The hooks are generally 6 or 7 and very small
They are legal in many states but the hooks have a size restriction. Of course it may be something else entirely.
A google image search will show you many different types.
Sabiki Rigs
Old 08-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks alot StriperJim, I was looking for trotlines but I will also be trying sabiki rigs. I found a great site about trotlines and I hope others will find it useful. I went fishing last night( im a night fisher) So i made my trotline with 20 hooks i cut up hot dogs and chicken liver and i put it on the hooks. I tied a brick to the end of the line, stepped back a yard or two and threw the brick into the river which i dont advise but i had no boat that night so i just threw the brick over a period of 4 hours i caugth 23 catfish 8 eels and 3 crappies. Eels love chicken liver and catfish love hotdogs. I think trotlines are great and heres the link i found:

http://www.marshbunny.com/mbunny/sid.../trotline.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2006, 05:52 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Why not just put 1000 hooks on it, fish it everyday, and catch every single fish in the entire area so there is none left?

Brings back memories of what they did to local Flounder fishery in our marsh...completely ravaged it using similar means. People leaving will 20-30 Flounder a day, filling coolers full. Been none left for about 15 years or so. Wiped out. Finally starting to come back and make their way into harbor again. Maybe someday they will eventually be up inside the rivers again and the flounder beds will be back. Barring any more overfishing, ofcourse.

- I moved this to the Tackle N Gear forum.

Old 08-21-2006, 06:23 PM

There are limits to the number of hooks you can have on one line or on one lure but every state is different. Over a certain number and you're considered commercial, need a commercial license and are subject to commercial penalties (usually higher then recreational)
Old 08-21-2006, 06:26 PM

Jim, I doubt he's talking about a sabiki rig - the guy he saw fishing was handlining - sabiki's and handlining don't go together so well. Sounds like a trot line and, depending on where he's located, is probably illegal.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:31 PM

Yea Suds.
I think Muriqi is out of the Hudson river thats why I said sabiki's. But they do have commercial ops in there still. Im not up to speed on the Hudson.
Trot lines are outlawed in many places cept where there are plenty of cats. The cats in the Hudson are prety much inedible. Specially the biguns.
There are plenty of scap nets and sabikis in there targeting herring.
The herring can be found right from the docks probably even without a rod. But I'm totally speculating on the non use of a rod.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:43 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

POUND that fishery into dust.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:58 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim
Yea Suds.
I think Muriqi is out of the Hudson river thats why I said sabiki's. But they do have commercial ops in there still. Im not up to speed on the Hudson.
Trot lines are outlawed in many places cept where there are plenty of cats. The cats in the Hudson are prety much inedible. Specially the biguns.
There are plenty of scap nets and sabikis in there targeting herring.
The herring can be found right from the docks probably even without a rod. But I'm totally speculating on the non use of a rod.
Is there any website that i can go to see trotline regulations i dont want to be doing the wrong thing
Old 08-22-2006, 12:46 PM

I just looked around and didn't find any but they have to be out there.
When you find it could you please post it up for us?
Old 08-22-2006, 03:30 PM
Striper Hunter

Regs for Ohio

Trotlines - Trotlines must be marked with the name and address of the user. Trotlines must be anchored. Wire or cable may not be used. Not more than three trotlines are permitted in any one body of water in the Inland Fishing District. Not more than 50 hooks per trotline are permitted in any tributary of Lake Erie. Trotlines may not be used within 1,000 feet downstream of any dam. Trotlines may be used only in
(1) streams;
(2) Mosquito Lake north of the causeway and south of a line of buoys designating the wildlife refuge;
(3) Charles Mill Lake north of St. Rt. 430; (4) Clendening Lake east of St. Rt. 799;
(5) Seneca Lake south of St. Rt. 147;
(6) Tappan Lake above the gas line causeway and St. Rt. 646;
(7) Atwood Lake north and east of St. Rt. 542 north at Dellroy;
(8) Piedmont Lake in sections 11 and 12 of Kirkwood Township;
(9) Wills Creek Lake except in the area directly in front of the Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District boat landing;
(10) that part of Berlin Lake lying south and west of St. Rt. 225;
(11) the inland part of Sandusky Bay commonly called Mud Creek Bay; and
(12) the area of Grand Lake St. Marys bounded on the west by Prairie Creek, on the east by Big Chickasaw Creek, and on the north by a line of buoys extending east to west between Big Chickasaw and Prairie creeks. Trotlines may not be set in channels or across the mouths of channels or streams in Grand Lake St. Marys. A special trotline license is required in the Lake Erie Fishing District. This license may be obtained at the Sandusky Fisheries Research Unit, 305 East Shoreline Drive, Sandusky, Ohio 44870 (Phone # 419-625-8062). All trotlines must be checked once every 24 hours.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:45 PM
Striper Hunter

In some states, trotlines are illegal such as Alabama, Alaska, Florida, Maine, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. In New Mexico and West Virginia, trotlines are restricted to only certain areas. In Virginia, trotlines can only be used for non-game fish. In others, state regulations have special requirements for the length of the lines, how many hooks, and how far apart the hooks can be. Regulations may differ for fresh water and marine fishing so check state regulations before fishing.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:22 PM
Pro Staff

Why don't you just drop a stick of dynamite in the water? That's more sporting than a trotline and my prop won't get caught in your trotline when you stretch it across the friggin channel.

What do you plan to do with all the shorter-than-legal-length fish that are unfortunate enough to be caught by your trotline and die before you get your lazy ass out of bed and go check it?

The best thing to do with a trot line is take it apart and use the materials for something else. There's a reason it's outlawed in many states. God help the dumb fool if I ever catch someone stringing one of those contraptions across my river.

Grow some balls and go fishing like a man.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:02 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitrunner
Why don't you just drop a stick of dynamite in the water? That's more sporting than a trotline and my prop won't get caught in your trotline when you stretch it across the friggin channel.

What do you plan to do with all the shorter-than-legal-length fish that are unfortunate enough to be caught by your trotline and die before you get your lazy ass out of bed and go check it?

The best thing to do with a trot line is take it apart and use the materials for something else. There's a reason it's outlawed in many states. God help the dumb fool if I ever catch someone stringing one of those contraptions across my river.

Grow some balls and go fishing like a man.
I dont leave my trotlines out all night first of all and the the shorter length fish i throw back in the water. While my trotlines are in the water i also fish for carp and eels. If my actions have offended you in anyway excuse me but i've been fishing with trotlines once.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:18 PM

Muriq.

Most of the guys practice catch and release. Especially up North in New England. Trot lines would get tied to a prop or a car axle up that way.
Its like finding an illegal gill net, it would be used as fodder for an evening fire.
Most of us are conservation minded and trot lines can chaffe a died in the wool C&R guy. All along the East coast for that matter.
Be careful with the regs on those things. In my state you can only use two poles with one hook on each pole.
Down south and mid south trot lines are more accepted but even they get cut and sabotaged. It takes the sporting element out of catching fish.
I had a guy evicerate a spawning female in front of me on a trip and I said to him that the fish is carrying eggs. The guy said and I quote "it's legal". Yes, he was right but i never ever fished with him again nor will I.
Not to belabor the point, but we as a large group are very conservation minded and in a sence stewards of the resource.
Thats why the negativity to the trot line.