best paint for lead jig heads? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 09-27-2005, 08:27 PM

Default best paint for lead jig heads?

So i'm startng to make my own bucktails, and i have a bunch of unpainted lead jig heads, whats a good brand of white paint that will hold up on them well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2005, 09:10 PM

Pro Tec powder paint. It's a baked on finish so you'll need an old toaster oven and a rack that fits inside.

The other option is to paint em with acrylic then coat them with 30 minute epoxy.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Striper Hunter

I tie all my bucktails mainly 4 & 5oz and use protec it's oderless and easy to use you can cure them with heat in an oven like the other guy said but IMO if your bounci'n on the bottom there gonna get banged up anyways ,some of the time I use no paint at all. The paint looks nice when there new I bounce my jigs at the Canal *"The Ditch" and if your not hitting the bottom your not fishing. good luck enjoy the hobby it keeps me sane during the winter
link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 02:34 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: best paint for lead jig heads?

What kind of lead heads do you use? I know that smilin Bill are very popular in New England but don't know why.

The Do-It catalog says that flathead/butterbean jig heads are better than most at cutting through current to get deep with less weight so that's what I plan to fish this coming season for fluke. Oops, is it o.k. to talk about fluke on a "striper" forum? I.M.O. they sure taste a lot better.

I've made spire point, bullet nose, banana jigs & a few others & like the spire point and flatheads for trolling or drifting but like the bullet nose & banana better for casting because they're forward balance.

Used powder paint in the past but it was such a mess & pain in the butt to remove it after they got all banged up that I'm looking for alternatives this season. Might just try them unpainted & see if they're as productive as the painted ones as long as they have a good color bucktail & trailer etc.

When using the acrylic/epoxy paints I wonder if there's any special preparation needed beforehand?
Old 09-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad s View Post
what kind of lead heads do you use? I know that smilin bill are very popular in new england but don't know why.

The do-it catalog says that flathead/butterbean jig heads are better than most at cutting through current to get deep with less weight so that's what i plan to fish this coming season for fluke. Oops, is it o.k. To talk about fluke on a "striper" forum? I.m.o. They sure taste a lot better.

I've made spire point, bullet nose, football jigs & a few others & like the spire point and flatheads for trolling or drifting but like the bullet nose & football better for casting because they're forward balance.

Used powder paint in the past but it was such a mess & pain in the butt to remove it after they got all banged up that i'm looking for alternatives this season. Might just try them unpainted & see if they're as productive as the painted ones as long as they have a good color bucktail & trailer etc.

When using the acrylic/epoxy paints i wonder if there's any special preparation needed beforehand?
i take all my jig heads to the local nail shop. Theres a gal there i took fishing years ago and she does a killer job with acrylic enamel. Air brush then finishes them off with a clear coat. The last batch she added some glitter. The cool thing is that she can make any color i want and with the clear coat the paint lasts alot longer. Had her do some pencil poppers too. Im sure if you brought some fish to any of the gals in the local shop, they would gladly do it for free. But im willing to pay $5 a dozen for such a killer job.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 AM
Official Member

If you want to brush on paint, take a look at the Vinyl lure and jig finish.
Janns Netcraft - Vinyl lure and jig finish

I like powder painting my jigs. Jannís Netcraft has a good selection of powder paint at a great price. The link below has some instructions on how to powder paint the jig heads as well.

How to powder paint fishing lures

Powder paint for fishing lures
Old 07-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Striper Hunter

I'd like to update my post from last September re powder paint.

I was bummed before because after all the work of powder painting them & curing them, they still chipped & were a super pain to strip for re-painting.

THEN I discovered tjstackle.com where I found pro-Tec powder paint & specific times & temps listed to PROPERLY cure powder painted jigs (different for most colors).

I put the painted jigs in the oven & start "pre-heat", when the temp reaches the proper setting I start the timer. When the timer goes off I remove the jigs immediately, drop them in a pan of cold water, that's it. No fumes, no thinners required or any of that, & the paints in the containers don't dry out like liquids do.

If you're using a good oven be sure to put a pan or something under the jigs as if they're painted too thick the excess paint will run & drip off.

Be sure to clean out the jig eyes before you cure them or you'll be sorry.

What a difference!!! I can now take one of my painted jigs & literally THROW it against a rock, concrete floor etc. & I mean throw it hard, & the lead jig will dent underneath the paint but the paint will not chip

I kid you not! I didn't believe it either 'til I tried it.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:54 AM
Striper Hunter

About any 2 part epoxy coat will make them even better if you want to go that far . I use Klass Kote or CSI .
Old 07-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Striper Hunter

How could they be better?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:20 AM
Striper Hunter

Helps keep those pesky 3D eyes on after you glue them and you can dip them all the way down past your thread tie just a tiny bit . Also if you don't want to mix glitter in your powder taking a chance on the glitter messing up under heat put it in the epoxy . If you mix more epoxy than you can use stick it in a freezer . Usually epoxy kept at room temps will go bad in less than 72 hrs. But I've kept it that way for a week or more . I do a lot of slabs and buck tails or at least I did . Been making tackle since I was 12 yrs old . So if ya need any help just yelp .
Old 08-04-2013, 01:48 AM
Official Member

on the west coast , we use 6" white worm tails on all our banana jigs... If you don't epoxy the jigs first , a reaction occurs between the paint & rubber tail,,Real messy....The epoxy stops this...Similiar to old Plano tackle boxes , before they were worm proofed>>> Jim
Old 08-11-2013, 12:30 AM
Official Member

I found that.Zinzer 1-2-3 or even Zip primer works as good as lure paint..Except lure paint cost about $9 for a 4 oz bottle, & you can get a Qt of Zinzer primer for same price...Better deal with Zinzer & qt primer is great for dipping,,Made a lot of lures , gave some for friends to test ,to see if chipping occured? Seems as lure paint did same.....Only make sure to clean lures to remove oxidation & allow the primer to adhere proerly... I purchasedthese products at Kelly Moore paint stores...
Old 09-12-2013, 12:26 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadfrog View Post
Helps keep those pesky 3D eyes on after you glue them and you can dip them all the way down past your thread tie just a tiny bit . Also if you don't want to mix glitter in your powder taking a chance on the glitter messing up under heat put it in the epoxy . If you mix more epoxy than you can use stick it in a freezer . Usually epoxy kept at room temps will go bad in less than 72 hrs. But I've kept it that way for a week or more . I do a lot of slabs and buck tails or at least I did . Been making tackle since I was 12 yrs old . So if ya need any help just yelp .
That sounds real interesting. I suppose I could use the epoxy over the powder paint to keep the eyes on, since I already powder painted most all my jigs?

Also been wanting to find something to cover up wooden eggs I've been thinking about trying, to waterproof them etc.

What do you recommend? I think you mentioned some epoxies in your other post but afraid that if I back click to quote it I'll lose this message. Thanks for the help.

Slabs??
Old 03-05-2015, 04:27 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desslok View Post
So i'm startng to make my own bucktails, and i have a bunch of unpainted lead jig heads, whats a good brand of white paint that will hold up on them well?
I"m making 1 1/2oz. - 2 1/2oz. spinnerbaits on unpainted lead bodys and frames, as well as 2oz. and 3oz, casting jigs, an easy method I use, that comes out well and is cheap is using a spray paint that adheres to metal. I buy cans from Walmart for 3.50$, spray a light coat, let it dry or get to a good tack then coat it again. let dry overnight. the bottom of the jig takes the most abuse, so you might want to put a good enamel or epoxy coat on it. jigs get lost because of how you fish them, making them is cheap! you don't necessesarily need to put a lot of work into them. If you want to see how the paint jobs come out, please feel free to take a peek at my spinner baits on my pics album. p.s. I buy my stuff from Lure Parts online.com Just added some pics to my album, spring striper jigs!!