Best epoxy - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:43 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Best epoxy

Hey guys i have a question about a certain epoxy ive been using and ive been having problems with it to an extent. Im using Flex Coat rod builders glue. Now i dont know if tht was the best idea but some lures come out good when applyed onto light colors but most of the time it has a foggy look and when u touch it you leave finger prints like a car window on a foggy rainn day , i dont get it ive tried everything, am i using the wrong stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 07:18 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: Best epoxy

are you using the glue that is made for glueing the cork handles, or the flex coat color preserver or the flex coat epoxy.... the epoxy is fine if mixed properly, it's just not cost effective....

Stickey finish usualy means impropper mixing or incorrect hardener to resin ratios... cloudy finish usualy means trapped air bubbles.... as I've posted many times, i use Envirotex lite bar top epoxy... if you mix it well, and in exact proportions , it is almost fool proof.... I used to go through lot of trouble with torches and heat etc. worrying about bubbles... if a thin coat is applied evenly the epoxy will gass out itself.. I appy a thick coat starting at the head and work my way around the plug as the plug spins, I keep working the lead edge of the epoxy along the plug as I go, this helps keep voids to a minimumonce the entire plug is covered, i strat again at the head and "drag" the brush along the length of the plug removing excess epoxy... I also find mixing small batches ( enough for six 8" plugs) to give me the best pot life before the epoxy becomes un workable.. this amount is 3 teaspoons of resin to 3 tea spoons of hardener mixed until the majority of the bubbles disappear, be sure to scrape the sides of the container and fold the mixture into itself,.... i've also found that adding a "scratch" coat, in my case clear lacquer helps when applying the finish...
Old 05-31-2013, 10:54 AM
Striper Hunter

thnks for the help ive been driving myself crazy with this stuff ive ruined to many lures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 12:33 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandblitz View Post
thnks for the help ive been driving myself crazy with this stuff ive ruined to many lures
they are not ruined... go fish them.. the fish don't care how nice the finnish is.. when they get beat to crap.. re finish them...
Old 06-02-2013, 09:37 AM
First Mate

I liked etex when I made plugs but I haven't touched my lathe since 2010. I still have etexed plugs from then though so I can say its decent stuff
Old 07-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Striper Hunter

Definitely etex is the way to go! Fairly easy to work with and tough as nails
Old 08-10-2013, 11:35 PM
Official Member

Gotta go with the Etex also..Especially with the store 40% off coupons...Jim
Old 08-11-2013, 12:29 AM
Striper Hunter

Yeah just picked up some using the coupon, great deal!!
Old 08-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Striper Hunter

I finallly got it down to a science and it's been coming out really good , don't even get bubbles anymore