Northern Aqueduct Fishing? - Page 9 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > California - Lakes, Rivers, Bay and Delta > California Aqueduct
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 03-22-2013, 01:03 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Northern Aqueduct Fishing?

Gates were open all the way in the morning. Fishing was great!

Fish gods blessed me today. I caught a total of 7 fish today. But only 5 were keepers. Nice big stripers. I had to leave twice to drop my fish off at home and go back to be able to fish more. lol

These were my first 2 of the day. One big fat 22 incher. The other 18 1/2

Picture of the same two fish. You can see the size difference.

These were my next two of the day. a 20 and 19 1/2 inch catch.

Last one of the day. 18 1/2 incher

The two i threw back were id say about 15 inches.

On my last minnow i had today i had a big one hooked, but that bad boy snapped my line. I think the fish gods were telling me thats enough for the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 08:45 AM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimenez2013 View Post
I caught a total of 7 fish today. But only 5 were keepers. Nice big stripers. I had to leave twice to drop my fish off at home and go back to be able to fish more. lol.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the 2013 CA striped bass fishing regulations state that there is "a daily bag and possession limit of two fish and a minimum size limit of 18 inches in length"?

Filling your daily bag limit, taking it home, and going back for more the same day is called poaching.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the 2013 CA striped bass fishing regulations state that there is "a daily bag and possession limit of two fish and a minimum size limit of 18 inches in length"?

Filling your daily bag limit, taking it home, and going back for more the same day is called poaching.
I dont think thats poaching. You people float that word too much. I fish up and down this canal. different spots different times of the day. Basically a 50 mile area for me. Floated this very question to a a warden yesterday. He said no its not illegal. He said if you take more than 2 fish at a time thats illegal. But they cant stop you from fishing throughout the day. But thanks. Guess ill just let you go on with this forum. Thought i would liven it up with some fishing talk because its dead. Continue with your poaching discussions that riddle this forum. That could be why its dead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 11:25 PM
First Mate

Nailed the big ones last night right before sunset . Fished off on of the bridges that let the creeks flow over the canal . Not even a bit off the cement creek. Then went to a spot with my brother that were referring to as the farm .Landed a 24 inch striper on a soft swim shad 3/4 ounce , it hit hard and ran with the current which made landing it hard with the gates 1/2 open on the delta mendota canal. Another 20 minutes later and the same soft bait nailed a huge catfish as soon as it hit the water. My brother tried to net it after ten minutes but missed. Fought it another 10 minutes with 10 lb line on the trout pole until it shook the hook. Great fight and i will try to get it again on monday before the weather turns again tuesday. I never saw the size but my brother said 4 foot when he compared it to the size of the net. Jaws is out there !!!
Old 03-23-2013, 11:36 PM
Striper Hunter

Thumbs up Re: Northern Aqueduct Fishing?

Sounds like the bite is on for sure. I am going out Monday morning and give it a try. I think i am going to try Wesley first and see what happens. Oh and get back out there and land Jaws. lol You must of had a blast fighting Jaws.
Tight lines,
Mike
Old 03-24-2013, 12:41 AM
First Mate

I'm starting to think the outside edge of a corner is where the fish are . both fish last night bit within 10 feet of the bank on the outside edge.The catfish are loaded with eggs right now , my brother landed 4 that were just loaded with eggs.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:45 AM
First Mate

Quote:

Fish gods blessed me today. I caught a total of 7 fish today. But only 5 were keepers. Nice big stripers. I had to leave twice to drop my fish off at home and go back to be able to fish more. lol

On my last minnow i had today i had a big one hooked, but that bad boy snapped my line. I think the fish gods were telling me thats enough for the day.
how long are the jumbo minnows your using? have been using a 3 inch shad swim bait . lost that lure and the 4 inch bait that is identical did not even get a hit .
Old 03-24-2013, 01:15 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnfield11 View Post
how long are the jumbo minnows your using? have been using a 3 inch shad swim bait . lost that lure and the 4 inch bait that is identical did not even get a hit .
About 2 1/2 to 3 inches. I buy them at johns u save liquor. On a few catches it was in the water for maybe a minute and a catch
Old 03-24-2013, 01:17 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike56 View Post
Sounds like the bite is on for sure. I am going out Monday morning and give it a try. I think i am going to try Wesley first and see what happens. Oh and get back out there and land Jaws. lol You must of had a blast fighting Jaws.
Tight lines,
Mike
Oh yea it was a battle , the bite is on . Use to fish westley a lot when i lived in ceres , my favorite spot is the gates at the north side of town on the mendota . It's the place that got me hook on the aquaducts .. Good luck tomorrow and keep your toes out of the water ....that big one is still out there.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:20 AM
First Mate

Quote:

nice fish ... that 22 incher looks like it could eat the 18 incher...
Old 03-28-2013, 11:30 PM
Striper Hunter

went out yesterday eve since it was full moon to see what was going on and it was the right time, 37 stripers hit the dirt and mist another 20, i got 20 my nephew andrew got 17....
we worked 4 gates and 1 siphon, heres some pic of our night nothing of size but fun.

[IMG]http://i122

we did have one double hook up

time to go to sleep going back tonight to hit some more zones.. 167 duct stripers YTD for me
Old 04-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Official Member

Went out to the canals at Tracy last week, got steady bites on chicken liver but they wouldn't stay on the hook, must be tns of little ones. Gave up on the canals yesterday for Easter and fished the stan got this big one f
After a 20 min fight in a kayak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	16368  
Old 04-02-2013, 11:35 PM
Striper Hunter

congrats that's a nice fish
Old 04-03-2013, 10:51 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher48 View Post
Went out to the canals at Tracy last week, got steady bites on chicken liver but they wouldn't stay on the hook, must be tns of little ones. Gave up on the canals yesterday for Easter and fished the stan got this big one f
After a 20 min fight in a kayak.
Thats a big fish ! lures or bait ?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:54 PM
First Mate

Lots of good hits but couldn't set the hook on the swim baits. The water in both canals was at a dead stop , Worked the lure slowly before they would bite but lost them all .