Northern Aqueduct Fishing? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > California - Lakes, Rivers, Bay and Delta > California Aqueduct
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 05-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Official Member

Default Northern Aqueduct Fishing?

Hi new to the forum and have read alot of the aqueducts from you guys here, but mainly the southern ducts. Seems like you guys got some good fishing down there. Read striper bill website thanks really helpful and informitive stuff you got there. I used to live and work in the Bakersfield area for a couple of years and never knew about the aqueduct system was only 30mins from me. If I only knew back then, Oh well, at least I can still fish the northern ducts. Any of you on the boards ever fish this area, 132 Maze blvd near I-5 near Modesto, Ca.? If any of you do can you give me some pointers or areas where the big ones could be. I've gotten alot of channel cats there and 1 baby striper last Sunday I was using chicken livers and mini night crawlers thats what I got the striper on. Still looking for more stripers. Any info would be helpful im new to this and would help lots.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Northern Aqueduct Fishing?

Anyone fishing the delta mendota canal? been using nightcrawlers for channels. I tried frozen sardines but no bites. Its stormy up here wonder if the fishing will pick up more? go get them big ones!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2010, 05:38 PM
First Mate

Fished the aquaducts last year for the first time and had lots of strippers as the weather got hotter. As soon as it got cold the bite died and fell flat over the winter .When they bite july to september we have caught up to 20 stripers an hour on shad , mostly around 12-20 inches. Still trying to figure out where the fish go in the winter. Went out on the mendota wensday , caught 3 stripers in 1 hour on a storm white shad lure at the gates near the I-5 & 132 intersection. Trying shad and lures after work today at the same gates . The gates seem to hold most of the fish .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 11:39 PM
Official Member

Cool to see a fellow northerner fishing the mendota ducts. I fish Koster Rd. off hwy 132 alot i mainly get alot of cats on chicken livers and worms. Talked to a fellow fisherman fishing the calif ducts down the road a little big stripers on lures. I haven't tried shad yet, but thanks for the tips. I think the fish go south for the winter?
Old 06-12-2010, 04:34 AM
Official Member

whats up im from modesto too, i fish there all the time, the delta mendota mostly have catfish, if u go down the road more on blewitt u run into the california aqueduct thats where all the big fish are, i seem to get more luck when the water is running, when the water is not running its pretty deaddd....
Old 06-13-2010, 05:05 PM
First Mate

I have seen a couple of guys out at the end of bird road fishing the cali ,will try blewitt rd at the cali today as soon as the heat starts to settle down. What kind of baits or lures work best ? I usally use shad and soft swin baits that weigh about an ounce and a half . normally fish gates on the mendota and cali near westly with good striper action during the hot months . Looked at the gates on the way to the bay area yesterday and all gates were all the way up.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:17 AM
Official Member

wellcome on board rhdjdmda6, and barnfield. i went to the ducts on sunday. checked out blewitt and saw a bunch of people fished past on the left sides. so i hit up bird where there is a manmake concrete bridge which is pretty cool because you can let set your pole on the sides of the bridge and wait for a strike. i took my little brother and let him fished it. we had alot of action in the beginning but never could hook em. i think they were stripers though cus if catfish it would of got it stuck down their throat. finally my brother got a decent strike and i was yelling at him, it hit it hit.... he set the hook a couple of times i think too much and pulled it it and said that he felt the fish and then my little brother gave it to me and i reeled it in and it felt heavy not normally what i get these little fish on. as i was reeling it in halfway the line tight and heavy action just gave way and the fish was gone. my little bro and i were devastated, so we tried throwing it in again and then it was empty nothing at all so called it a day, and plus it was freaking hot that afternoon... thanks for reading my rant. till next time. and good fishing to all of you and tell me how you guys do. hopefully better than me. hihi..
Old 07-02-2010, 01:39 PM
First Mate

went out yesterday only a catfish in about 2 hours time on shad .Are you speaking of the bridge just upstream of bird road.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Official Member

^ yeah, the one off bird rd. its an easy access thats what i like about it, but I don't know how good the fishing there is. maybe in the early morning or late afternoons or night is better? Im gonna go to the ducks tomorrow hopefully I will get better luck!
Old 08-27-2010, 01:10 AM
First Mate

went out at 7:00 tonight and nailed a 23 incher in about 5 minutes on shad and 3 feet of leader behind a sliding sinker . words of wisdom from a guy that passed through while I was sitting there and fishing , he has used a surf leader and anchovies for 30 years and claims to catch a lot of stripers up toward Tracy area . Will try this set up soon and post results . have not fished much since last post.too much work
Old 08-28-2010, 05:55 PM
First Mate

Went out again last night and the wife landed a 21 inch striper , used anchovies and shad . Had plenty of action on the anchovies and only one bite on shad.Tried the surf rig set up with the weight on the bottom and had good bites , will reduce the weights from 4 ounce to 2 ounce and possibly 1 ounce . California aquaduct on grayson road at 6pm and slow to building current.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Official Member

^^Good to hear that you and the misses are catching some stripers. Keep us posting on you outings to the ducts when you have a chance, as I have not been able to fish since the last post. Will try to head out as the summers end is nearing. Been wanting to hit the Tracy area as I have never tried, thanks for the report.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:53 AM
Striper Hunter

Where are they catching the monster's at brother's
Old 08-31-2010, 04:13 PM
Official Member

Default Re:guess im blind

hey guys whats going on im just getting started in fishing the canal after a co worker said something about it i live in the patterson area and grew up farming along the canal my whole life and never new about it was just wanting to know some more on how to fish it and what kind of gear to use any advice would help im a die hard stripper fisher but always went to the river or delta lived next to the canal for 23 years and never knew but anyways thanks again and any advice is appreciated
Old 09-01-2010, 01:28 AM
Official Member

well im headed out tonight so well see how it goes if anyone has some advice id be more than willing to take them along to some spots that are a long walk that i can just drive to cause we farm next to it thanks