Bugs and Bass Great Bay 2009 - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > Public - Personal Photojournals.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Public - Personal Photojournals. Post up your personal logs here in this forum. Fishing - hunting - trapping - any species. Photojournals are welcomed and encouraged.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:47 PM
LunkHead

Default Re: Darmok and Jilad at Tanagra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalman View Post
Darmok and Jilad on the ocean.

Today Darmok, Coalman and Jilad, Roccus got together to try and conquer the food chain.
I could swear that's a picture of Joe Brotz holding a bass in the back of the boat, but it can't be, the sun's out.....

"An Evil Barbarian with a Wrench in His Pocket......"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: Bugs and Bass Great Bay 2009

i know...
holding a short fish (to him anyway) in a pic? no way..
but look at the squint in the eyes? says it right there..
no post yet from dave since his birthday... did he make it?

Old 09-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Lunker

Default Labor Day Weekend

09/05/09
The trees are starting to turn their fall colors and the honkers are winging into Great Bay. I wish I could say the same about the lobsters. 25 traps produced 6 keepers. I brought them home and my son cooked us up a lobster bake. Thanks Shawn!

It was almost low tide when I took these two pictures. I took them to remind myself what striped bass habitat looks like under the waters of Great Bay.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Lunker

Default Clamming Season Opens

09/12/09
For anyone keeping up with the coastal NH weather Saturday would have hit the snooze and gone back to sleep. It started raining about 9AM and didn't quit till after to deeds were done. If it weren't the first day of clamming season I would have slept in. But those Bay clams were calling.

I had company today. Joe joined me for the bounty. But the most I saw of him while checking traps were his feet sticking out of the cuddy as he tried to keep dry. This wasn't my first time checking traps in the rain and I was prepared. I would have made the Northwestern proud.

We started hot. 8 keepers in the first 6 traps. Then it was time to check the gear I relocated deep into Great Bay last week. One lobster out of 15 traps. I put 5 traps back into Little Bay where the action started hot.

And that is the way the day ended. Lobsters, a peck of clams and a very soaked soul.

I'd do it all again tomorrow.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Lunker

Default Beached bounties.

09/19/09
Low tide was at 0800 this morning on the shellfish grounds. It was a chilly three mile ride.

We arrived in time with enough water to float in. What I wasn't prepared for was one of the lowest negative tides we have ever dug. It exposed the oyster beds.

We had a limit of clams and oysters by 0900. On our wait for the tide to return we purged the oysters of rocks and empty shells.

We just finished with the oysters and were starting the clams. I was giving the USS Coalman a hull inspection.

The lobsters have moved back into Great Bay. The first three traps way back in 12 feet of water produced two keepers. The next 22 traps in deep water produced two keepers. I am going out Sunday and pull all my gear back to the shallows.

I bought the USS Coalman from the Farm. Today was my annual thank you trip. Ever since I have known the Farm they have let me hunt, fish and trap unsupervised around the property. There have even been a few deer hauled out in the bucket of their tractors.

Payback this year was a multiple family feed of shellfish. I'm in like Flynn.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Striper Hunter

Love this journal. They could make a TV series out of this

"The Coalman Chronicles"

Old 09-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Striper Hunter

Nice photos and great thread!

Old 09-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Lunker

Default Engine woes.

09/26/09
I had the pleasure of sharing my boat with Captain Danny today. I wish I could say we filled the cooler with bugs and ran out of eels we caught so many striped bass but that is not the story.

My motor acted up today. It kept fouling the #3 cylinder. This was a first in her long hour life.

I opened the drain on the bowl of the carburetor and then snapped it off by attempting to secure it tight.

We made it back to port with gas leaking out of the bowl. The landowner of the dock was home and helped us take the carb off and removed the broken bolt from the bowl. Now we had to find a new drain bolt to fit. A year ago a friend was going to throw out his old 90hp Yamaha. I took it in case any day like today I needed a part. A quick trip home and we found the drain bolt to be a perfect fit.

Back to the boat to install the carb went smoothly. We took her for a test run up the river. She seemed to run fine. No more fouling. We met Dad at Chapman's Landing. He was having the same kind of day I was. But that is a story for the Memory Maker.

Time was not on Dan's side to try another return the Great Bay. I thanked him for coming and his much needed help and bid farewell. I motored up the Squamscott River with a better conscience.

But water in the gas is not my problem. Again she started running on two cylinders. I was able to make the clam flats and check all my lobster traps at 2/3 power. It scares me to be in the Bay with a sick engine.

My motor will get my full attention after work this week. If she is still sick, I am going to end my season.

Stay tuned.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:39 AM
Lunker

Default Threading the hook.

10-04-09
Armed with a two boxes of tools, a compression gauge, new fuel and water/fuel filter I tried to fix the USS Coalman on the slip. First I drained every fuel hose, the fuel filter and fuel pump. Then each carburetor bowl. New spark plugs were installed.

She started up, sounded good. Compression check on a warm engine showed no failure. A short test run up the river was encouraging. Back to the dock to get supplies to pull traps and then up the river I went. And my problem returned. #3 cylinder is fouling the plug.

When I get her on plane she runs fine. At slow speed only two cylinders. I was able to retrieve 6 traps. But I'm not going back till the problem is solved.

It is good to have friends. My partner boat on the dock, Ray, has retrieved all my traps with his boat. Half of my gear is in the barn, half on shore at the dock. It makes my conscience rest better knowing my gear is safe.

Roccus has been my user manual. Thanks Joe for the advise. My eyesight is getting bad, but I will thread this hook.

Fuel was not my problem. I saw no water in the gas.
Cylinder pressure is not my problem. All three tested 110 lbs.
I had 1976 Rupp Nitro 440. Same three cylinders, three carbs. Same problem. A new fuel pump fixed it.

Riverfront Marine had the parts to rebuild my fuel pump on the Yamaha. Parts will be here this week. I'll be back to the dock this weekend.

Stay tuned. :)
Old 10-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Lunker

Default The third time is a charm.

The USS Coalman's engine is fixed. The first theory was contaminated fuel. The second theory was lack of compression. Neither of those proved to be the problem. I discussed my problem with Ray and Roccus. They both said the next thing to check was my fuel pump.

The five parts arrived Friday. I highly recommend the helpful lady at the parts department at Riverfront Marine in Salisbury, MA. When I opened my UPS envelope she included a diagram of the fuel pump and even highlighted the parts I got and how they should be installed. Thank you nice lady at Riverfront Marine. :)

I rebuilt the fuel pump at 0600 this morning. I couldn't see anything wrong with the parts I took out. Then as I was examining the cloudy plastic solid gasket the light hit it just right and I could see a hairline crack where the plastic met the fuel pump housing. I took it in stride. I didn't want to be disappointed if that was not the problem. I was not looking forward to rebuilding any carburetors.

The pump was installed and primed. Then I replaced the #3 spark plug. It was wet and fouled from my journey a week ago. With a new plug in I fired the Yamaha up. My hopes were low. I listened and felt as the new fuel pump delivered her precious cargo.

The third fix was the charm. The USS Coalman is running on all cylinders. I took her for some Indy test drives in the river. She never sputted. I called Roccus as I drifted by the Farm and told him the good news. I want to thank Joe very much. He is a human instruction manual.

I would also like to thank Ray, my partner boat for hauling my gear to shore. The traps and the fish cage are all now safe in the barn for another long winter.

The sadess time of year.

I am going to miss my gym.

The last thing to do to complete Bug and Bass is too pull the boat out and get her ready for winter. To be honest it can't come soon enough...........

I want to go hunting!
Old 10-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Lunker

Default Ending where it started.

This is the final entry for Bugs and Bass Great Bay 2009. It has been a good season. Not great but not poor. It was somewhere in the middle. Lobsters never showed up in force and the pogies never came. But I consider any time on the water well spent.

With all the traps in the barn and the Yamaha feeling back to normal I took the final ride of 2009 up river to my home port launch. But before I made the ride up the river I had to take a trip to the trestle, pass underneath, salute Great Bay and thank God for his blessings.

It was a beautiful ride up the Squamscott River. These are cell phone pictures.

Rte 108 Bridge and Chapman's Landing.

Newfields, NH and its public launch and mooring field.

The OX Bow Cut and Rte 101 Bridge.

The view coming into Exeter, NH. The revolutionary war Powder House on the left at the point of trees.

And last but not least back where it all started this spring. In my hometown, Exeter, NH.

Thank you all for your views and comments. God willing I'll see you in Bug and Bass Great Bay 2010. Thank you for coming along.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

was a great ride and went by fast dave. great pics. wish jim and i skipped montauk and came up to see ya's. really muffed that one up. broke a rib yesterday so i'm outta commission with ya. roc's gonna laugh as i was doin so well up till yesterday. his response? " i'll save him the trouble -- "ONLY YOU ZIM!" and won't be a bit surprized. just the call will make me laugh out loud when he say's "how the hell did ya manage that? man, i'd like to take the misses up for the foliage show ya got goin on there. nice pics. talk later..

Old 10-19-2009, 09:50 PM
First Mate

It's a sad time of year when the boat gets put away. On the flip side, I'm looking forward to the hunting, ice fishing and trapping pictures. I hunt with a guy that can shoot the center out of a dime whether it's moving or not. He's been hunting since I was in diapers. I still tell him he can't hit the side of a barn. We are trying to train my son to be our deer dragger. Us "experienced" guys need to save our energy for the younger guys...