Your Plug Bag? - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

View Poll Results: Your Plug Bag
Aquaskins 49 23.00%
Van Staal 22 10.33%
Hunter 5 2.35%
BW 14 6.57%
Canyon 21 9.86%
Precision Pac 16 7.51%
Dakine Patrol Surf Pack 1 0.47%
Bronco 20 9.39%
Other 98 46.01%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2009, 07:23 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Your Plug Bag?

I have 2 different size Black canvas gun ammo bags I bought in the Sportsman Guide like 10 yrs ago for $ 10 bucks they've held up nicely,I went to Home Depot and bought central vacuum pipe they have a thinner wall than traditional PVC anyway used a chop saw so that there all the same length glued them together and nice custom plug bag for short $$
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Official Member

Being from the west coast, we use metal tins, And hairraisers ( bucktails with worm tails attached) Rubber baits , & wood plugs..Due to heavy surf & winds regulate our fishery,,I & most guys use Fanny packs with small compartments on each side for jigs & metal lures , & the rear Compartment for plugs & larger tools etc..I purchased at dollar stores canvas pencil holders which fit in binders..These are very durable & protect you from hooks..They hold about three plugs...This system worksfor us because of changing conditions or bait selections . Diehard plug guys use your traditional Pvc bags to store plugs.. Jim
Old 05-29-2009, 11:09 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

when i (liked) to fish for bluefish i used that system jim.. (still have that laying around with steel in it) i upgraded it to a boat jig system as well. i now have a lightweight backpack with 2" plastic containers i have aquired along the way. were 2 bucks a piece but now are double that. these i can carry at least 20 6-8" lures around which are marked what they are. i rarely plug any more but, as you well know, when you get the fly bug nothing else really matters. the other bags i use when lazy and only wanna carry like 10 plugs and a few jigs and bucktails. and some tins. that old bag> i can't say how long i have had : but had to periodically epoxy the joints in the plastic holders as they cracked and split from tossing the bag around. (and jamming a few extra's in to make sure i had the good stuff with me.) i somehow ended up with 2 gunny4290 plugs at montauk last outing. that was strange but i am always happy to get gifts from friends and vise versa...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by byf View Post
I have just revamped my original bag. It's an old canvas bag with 8 tubes. I removed the shoulder strap and added some belt loops and velcro. soon I will probably add drain holes.
I've one of those old canvas bags that's about 20(?) yrs. old.
6 tube. Cut 2 out and added a plastic box for tins, leader, swivels.
It's a mess!
10 pounds of crap in a 2 pound bag!
Everytime I clean it out,,,, 95% is on the "must have" and goes back in.
Only thing left out are old leaders, rusty hooks, and spent tails.
Then it's well organized until first use.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:12 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plug bag.jpg
Views:	948
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	11259  
Old 06-29-2009, 08:44 PM
First Mate

I like that idea Jim PVC downspout. It has more room in it then the 2" tubes most have. I like some others just threw something together, I have a zillion types of bags and enough tubes to extend to the moon. I have just come to realize that nothing is the right bag most of the time
Old 10-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

it's funny, i have bags for montauk.
bags for here.
bags for the jersey beaches.
bags for when i am at the cape "which is rare but will have one anyway"
and all i ever do is bring 4 or 5 of the plugs i know to work in the condidtions i am fishing in. i hate lugging 15 plugs in a bag with me.
it's like walkin a friggen dog or some chit.
the day i don't bring it is the day i will need a bottle or a really deep diving needle or some chit that i didn't carry. i got a waist pack that holds 2 waters and leader/swivels/tins/and i got containers for my larger plugs i put in my waders. i need a mexican to carry the montauk plug bag as it's a cooler full of larger plugs. for night when i want behemoth plugs to fish with. i was out of breath today chasing down fish and i know i am out of shape as i coulda used my car to move down to where the were heading but opted the old fashioned way. bluefish took a hopkins away which was a heads up to what was a precursor of things to come.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:17 PM
First Mate

If any of you guys that make your own bags need I have some clear plastic tubing. The tube I have right now is 1 1/4" but I'm going to pickup some 2" this week. I may even get some that is a bit wider. The tube I have is in 6" lengths but I can cut it down and is very similar to white PVC but it's clear. It's also about the same wall thickness as white PVC (schedule 40) and is not thin or brittle. Just thought I would post here, if you want just ask and I'll do what I can
Old 11-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Official Member

i had a canon double row, and packed it. i hated lugging it around, expecially when all i ever really end up throwing is 4 or 5 diffent lures. sold it and bought a single row vs with aquaskinz tubes, i love the bag, nice and light no snags yet, very durable and its a good bang for the buck. it will last me a very long time... still working on getting some plugs out of it though.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:45 AM
Official Member

bw (outdoors etc) large bag,
Old 01-29-2010, 11:41 AM
First Mate

I also now have the BW/Outdoors but the x-large and also have 2 smaller(but large size) no name bags. I also picked up some nylon bags(3 diff sizes) at Lowes that have loops. I use these to carry eels or tins, leader, snaps and such. I also have 2 diff pouches one from lowes-great for eels and a shimano one which also has a pliers loop/holder
Old 02-21-2010, 05:05 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

the best eel carrier in the world is a plastic folgers coffee container strap it to your back with your surf belt and pack it with ice. El Guapo showed me that one.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Official Member

Just got a 4 tube belt bag from the Surfcaster- let you know how it works out come June...........
Old 02-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Veteran Striper Chaser

I,m looking for an Army medic bag or any ideas for an El Cheapo plug bag. Large enough for some woodies. Appreciate any ideas. Ihave the inserts. Thank you
Old 02-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i had that canvas bag with me when i went into a store up the block and some jerk whispered "what'd he just come out of the jungle". i'd have tossed an eel in his bag if i has one with me. it is the best one for me though.