The Hows and Whats of Trolling for Stripers - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Trolling for Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Trolling for Stripers How tos - instruction - Downriggers Planer boards - gear and other techniques and tips

Old 11-30-2004, 08:22 AM
Official Member

Default Tube and Worm down South

I have noticed that several people mention using a tube and worm for trolling but it seems like the majority of you are from further up North than I am. I will heading out of Norfolk in about two weeks to fish the lower Chesapeake Bay. Has anyone had luck using this method of trolling down that way? Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Striper Hunter

For trolling in the merrimac and off plum island, nothing beats a 9er rig. you can buy them at bridge road bait and tackle in salisbury. Any color will work. I prefer the blue back or green. They are pricey but they work! If your fishing with kids they will get worn out reeling the fish in. Troll with the current in the river, any direction out front. I use 36 lb lead core on a penn 330 GTI and a Shakespear Tiger rod. Let out 30 yards(3 colors) and start catching fish. Our record is 5 keepers (28 to 36") on one rig at the same time! no lie, we have the pictures to prove it.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:04 PM
Senior Member Elite

Im gonna buy one for this year...they seem like killahs...

Any chance you can put those pics up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2005, 09:35 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

The Merrimack river is an entity in of itself,why are you in a hurry to leave it?
With structure like badger rocks,tidal flats and numerous other rock piles that can be fished day or night,and hold fish at different tides day and night?
Tube (blood red) and worm is a great day time lure that can be fished along the edges of the flats(salisbury drift,lunt rock area on a dropping tide) 3 colors of lead is about right for these areas,run with the tide.
In the badgers rock area (also good in the slot at 1/2 tide rocks) a white 3 oz. jig and pork rind behind approx. 100' of 60lb monel wire is hard to beat.
If boat traffic allows, a daybreak low in the mouth is great,jig and pork rind on 100-150' of wire or a danny swimmer(blue) can be outstanding in the spring and fall when fish are migrating north or south.
Early spring,live mackerel can be had and trolled or live lined anywhere from the mouth of the river or at any piece of structure from the mouth all the way to the rocks village bridge.
I save the best for last, live eels can be slow trolled in the tidal flats or out along the sand bars on the front beach.
For this I use custom made 6'(lami glass or S glass blanks) conventional medium action rods,penn GTI 320 LD reels spooled with 60lb Power pro with a 6' length of 40lb Ande(via an allbright not) to which I attach an 3' section of #30 floro carbon leader via a #30 swivel,for the hook I use a 4/0 gamagatsu,octopuss style. The eels are hooked through the loer jaw,up through the nose and trolled with an electric motor about 50' back going with the tide at about 1.5-2 knots.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Official Member

A 44 lb striper taken on the deadly tube by msba angler ted abbadessa He also won the boat contest this year with another huge bass taken on the tube http://www.santinitube.com/Images/PhotoGallery/BassBluefish/Untitled-2.jpg[/img][/code]
Old 03-04-2005, 08:26 PM
Senior Member Elite

I'll be at both also...

Hope to see you there Pete...I'll be the only person in a Striper247 hat (hopefully not, but most likely true)... :(
Old 03-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Senko King

like they say "troll it slow and troll it low"

BTW nice fish
Old 03-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Senior Member Elite

I like the moto..."for the tube, go as slow as you can...then go slower..."
Old 03-19-2005, 10:57 PM
Veteran

I fished with Jack Reynolds forty years ago, out of Westport. He had a Dyer 29 ft. boat. We fished the black rocks and the lower end of buzzards bay. He was one of the greats. back then he was fishing with tube and worm, or a jig and a worm. He put a worm on everything. He caught a lot of fish. then he became a commercal fisherman. The tube and worm is nothing new :?: And niners were call umbrella rigs in those days.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:32 PM
Official Member

Thats rightfish those babies slooow and low The tube and worm been around for a long and Its even more deadlier Today The great thing about it is how simple it is to use especially with leadcore line its a metered easily controled way to hammer big bass Anywhere they live And is easily mastered in a short time Pete
Old 03-22-2005, 06:47 PM
First Mate

will tubes work in lakes with stripers that dont even know what an eel is?
Old 03-22-2005, 07:40 PM
Official Member

Funny you say that All bass hate eels and to answer your question the tubes will work in freshwater lakes like powell and others tubes catch stripers in the sacremento river in california where there are no eels a stripers instinct tells it to eat a eel or a tube with a seaworm or crawler on it Remember a striper is still a striper whether it lives in fresh or salt andif something looks good to eat it will eat it
Old 03-22-2005, 09:21 PM
Senior Member Elite

Pete, I know some guys will troll a Tube n' Eel...

What do you think about that?...technically wouldn't that be just as/more effective than a worm...(though I am not denying the power of a big seaworm)...

Just wanted to know your thoughts...I might try mixing it up between eels and worm this year, see how a eel chunk on the end will work...
Old 03-23-2005, 08:30 AM
Official Member

Boston they used eels primarily on the cape with tubes I don't see why it wouldn't work in town give it a shot pete
Old 03-23-2005, 10:36 PM
First Mate

You can use any thing a striper or blue fish eat squid, herring, mackerel,
sand eel and clam

I don't think I would use a eel on the tube they are deadly alone
and a whole other ball game.

Charley Sores just put out a book about fishing the tube and worm
I ordered a copy and after I am done reading it will let you all know how it is. but knowing Charley it's a keeper

Fishing With The Sanddollar Princess