California Aqueduct Information - Page 9 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > California - Lakes, Rivers, Bay and Delta > California Aqueduct
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 02-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Aqueduct Information

Oh what a night!
Well, fished the duct again last night. First set of gates I got three hits, but couldn't hook them. Might have been short bites.
Next set of gates landed a couple of small keepers and then the biggun hit! It made a nice run, and a few minutes later I had a 30 lber laying on the ground. Got it released, and that was pretty much it for the night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS View Post
Oh what a night!
Well, fished the duct again last night. First set of gates I got three hits, but couldn't hook them. Might have been short bites.
Next set of gates landed a couple of small keepers and then the biggun hit! It made a nice run, and a few minutes later I had a 30 lber laying on the ground. Got it released, and that was pretty much it for the night.
pictures and were at???
anyone know if the water is running very often in bakersfield?
Old 02-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Official Member

The water has not been running much at all recently, but last night it was running good. Not extremely strong, but the best I've seen it run in a couple of months. I caught the fish on a homemade lure at my favorite set of gates. It really isn't what you use for fishing for big stripers, it is all about the time you put in. You have to fish often to catch big striped bass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS View Post
The water has not been running much at all recently, but last night it was running good. Not extremely strong, but the best I've seen it run in a couple of months. I caught the fish on a homemade lure at my favorite set of gates. It really isn't what you use for fishing for big stripers, it is all about the time you put in. You have to fish often to catch big striped bass.
whar area??
wink! wink!
166 @ old river road is the best spot i know of
taft golf coarse i have herd is good to but i have never caught anything out that way
how is the weather at night out there??
Old 02-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Striper Fever

Way to go Dan!
Old 02-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Official Member

Default Fished the duct again

I fished the duct approximately 18 hours this weekend with a few hours of catnaps in between. Hit three siphons, and probably 12 different sets of gates. Fishing last night was tough with the rain. I never got a fish up on the bank. Had one on that was probably 5 lbs and was trying to get him over to a ladder, but he came off. Had several strikes on plastics, but just hard hits, probably just nipping at the tail of the bait. This morning it was raining and the wind blowing directly into my face around 25 mph. Couldn't hardly send a lure out. Packed it up and came home, it was time anyway.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Striper Hunter

Post Re: Aqueduct Information

Anyone know if the ducts in Patterson will soon be opening
Old 03-14-2009, 04:56 PM

Aqueduct striped bass tourney set for March 28 2009

by STEVE MERLO, contributing columnist
[email protected] | Thursday, Mar 12 2009 9:47 PM

Last Updated: Friday, Mar 13 2009 10:27 AM
Despite the fact that I am for deregulation of the striped bass harvest, I still love fishing for them, especially in the California Aqueduct where the limit in the Southern Valley District holds at 2 fish, 18 inches or better. Eventually though, I see the limit removed and a no-size-limit regulation going into effect in a political trade-off to allow the unimpeded flow of Nor-Cal water into the Southern San Joaquin.

But until that happens, there are plenty of fish swimming in the concrete canal that beckon to be caught, and even with the soon-to-be-proposed legislation, I do not believe the stripers will be seriously impacted.
I prefer to think of the coming laws as a chance to cull the "canal" of smaller stripers and open the door for other species to once again get their fins in the door, so to speak. Back in the late 1960s and early '70s, for instance, countless largemouth bass, crappie and bluegills called the canal home. Along with white and channel catfish, the water project offered plenty of fish to target, and until the striped bass made it into our area, gave a lot of fishermen a chance to battle with them.
Fishing was so good back then that my brother and I had a small but lucrative business selling live minnows to anglers chasing the huge crappie living under every bridge along the canal's path. We'd run over to the nearest irrigation ditch, net gobs of mosquito fish and place them in huge tubs out in the back yard. Whenever anyone needed the perfect crappie bait, they would call and tell us how many they would need for the next day's venture.
The tiny fish were then placed in separate pails on the front porch with the angler's name on it and the price, and we always doubled, or even tripled, the order at no extra cost to them, or us, for that matter. On some nights before we went to bed, there would be 7 or 8 buckets on the front porch, and the shoe box we left out there always had more money in it than it was supposed to have. We never lost a penny due to dishonesty.
Anyway, along came the striper, slowly and efficiently migrating from the Delta down to us, eating everything in their path until, years later, only a few species still thrived the lowly carp, white catfish, slimy hitch and lots of linesides. So devastating was the stripers' arrival, that even they ran out of food, including the shad biomass,and for a long time, they were skinny and malnutritioned, save for the lunkers that fed almost exclusively on carp, hitch and their own brethren
Right now, the canal is teeming with 3-to 10-pound striped bass, and they're always biting, or so it seems. The recent arrival of several invasive species, yellow-finned gobies and mottled sculpin, has given the Aqueduct stripers new life and they are getting bigger and fatter than ever. Anglers are catching lots of them, and so, along with the fishing, comes the bragging, and, of course, the "smack talk" about who's the best fisherman in the canal. Personally, I think it's a no-brainer, but then, what do I know?
Well, now there's an opportunity to prove which angler deserves the 'best' aqueduct striper fisherman title. Organized by Bakersfield's Alfred Drake and sponsored by Fishing Times, Bob's Bait Bucket and KPN Tackle, "Smack Talks II," an aqueduct striped bass fishing tournament, will be held on March 28. A two-fish, 20-inch size limit will be in effect for the artificials-only tourney, and the event only costs $20.
Entrants can sign up early by contacting Daniel Aguilar at [email protected] or pay an additional $5 at the headquarters on the day of the event. All proceeds from the contest will benefit the Relay 4 Life-American Cancer Societies. Check in will be from 5:15-5:45 a.m. at the Quail Lake parking lot, and anglers are honor bound to stay on any part of the aqueduct from Bakersfield to Palmdale.
After the 1 p.m. weigh-in, anglers will be feted to a huge raffle, and first through third place monetary awards, including big fish of the tournament. A fundraising barbecue, hosted by Relay 4 Life and prepared by Team Family Matters/Ameriprise will be available including carne asada, chicken tacos, chile verde and rice and beans, all donated by local SuperMercado La Mina.
"Smacktalks I", the first event, drew 30 anglers without any advertising or sponsorships. The event promoters are hoping to involve as many additional fishermen as possible in order to return a significant amount of money to the top three finishers. Payouts will be percent, based on 60, 25 and 15 percent of the total entry money.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:16 PM
SWIMBAITER

ONLY A WEEK TO GO, FELLAS.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:32 PM
always new to fishing

Lightbulb Re: Aqueduct Information

ok i am having trouble out there i dont know what to use can you all help me i been going out there for a week now and not even a nibble one what should i use!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 03:46 PM
always new to fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabitha new to strip View Post
ok i am having trouble out there i dont know what to use can you all help me i been going out there for a week now and not even a nibble one what should i use!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Striper Fever

Hello Tabitha new to strip,
I would use L-Rattle Traps and Storm swim baits and any lure that resembles a shad, makerel, blue gill and trout. Try and get the sizes 3/4 oz for the Rattle Traps and 3/4 oz or bigger on the other top water lures. Baits chicken liver, makerel, anchovies, and night crawlers. Have a nice day!
Old 04-02-2009, 04:01 PM
always new to fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striper Bill View Post
Hello Tabitha new to strip,
I would use L-Rattle Traps and Storm swim baits and any lure that resembles a shad, makerel, blue gill and trout. Try and get the sizes 3/4 oz for the Rattle Traps and 3/4 oz or bigger on the other top water lures. Baits chicken liver, makerel, anchovies, and night crawlers. Have a nice day!

i am not sure what a rattle trap is but ok
Old 04-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Striper Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabitha new to strip View Post
i am not sure what a rattle trap is but ok
When you go to the tackle shops just ask them, they will know. Good luck and rod tips up and tight lines.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Striper Hunter

chicken liver chicken liver chicken liver like novacaine give it time it allways works!!!!!