California Aqueduct Information - Page 10 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > California - Lakes, Rivers, Bay and Delta > California Aqueduct
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 04-06-2009, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Aqueduct Information

anybody know how the flow is in bakersfield???
taken the wife out just wanted to show her how how amazing of a fishery we got int the cement river!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Official Member

I'd say the last few times I've been out, the flow is fairly low, but it is running. If you are fishing at gates, you can see it flowing but almost not noticeable at siphons. You can barely see it go under the rope buoys that go across the duct.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:35 PM
swabbie

Can you drive along the canal or is it all walking? Are the gates the only places to fish or what else should I be looking for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Striper Fever

Hello,
You can fish where it says walk in fishing only, Fish before the gates and after the gates and just walk up or down and fish the bends or curves, under bridges. NO Driving in at all. Good luck to ya! Rod tips up and tight lines.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:47 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: California Aqueduct Information

Hi! Striperbill what rig would you recommend in the fall for aquaduct fishing? I'm fishing in the huron area. It's one hour north of bakersfield. Thanks
Old 10-30-2009, 03:04 PM
Striper Fever

Smile Re: California Aqueduct Information

What are you going for CATS or STRIPERS?
Fishing for Cats you want to use the 2/0 size bait hooks 12-15 lb test line, don't fish heavy with weights. I use the split shot weights 1 oz or under. Tie your hook on and then go up 12 inches up the line and add on your weights, no swivels. Same for Stripers or for Striper use in lure fishing use no swivels, I tie directly. My area is full of smelt and stripers are feeding on them. Try using the White L-Rattle traps,Storm baits Shad ones. Please send pictures of any pic's of you and you fish, I would like to add them to my Striper Hits page or Catfish Hits page if you don't mind me doing so. Have a nice day!
Striper Bill
Old 10-31-2009, 07:41 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks. I'll try that. I'm fishing for striped bass. In which direction do you throw your lure or bait? Towards the middle, parallel to the bank, or 45 degrees downstream? I like using cut anchovies. Thanks for the tips. I'll send you pics of any fish i catch ok.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:10 PM

striper bill,
what top water lures do u recommend and what are all these big stripers jumping for on the top been seeing alot the past week...
Old 11-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Striper Hunter

I went fishing today but no luck. Got to the aqueduct around 10:30am. Gate was flowing water real good. A guy was already fishing and landed one. I thought cool they're biting. It was a good size it was curved in his big net. I didn't get to talk to him cause i was getting my gear ready to fish. Before i threw my line in the water. the pumps turned off and the water was still. No current at all. That sucks bad. after that the guy just packed up and left. I guess he knew the bite was over. I tried anchovies and rattle traps with no luck. So i drove south to another gate but it was off also. Saw alot of minnows in the water but no fish jumping. It was kind of hot today so i tried fishing under the bridges. No luck either. I did meet a guy who said he caught a 23lb catfish last week by an irrigation pump and a 43 inch striper under a bridge the week before. but he said the water was moving. Does anyone have tips fishing the aqueduct when the water isn't moving? Does anyone know how to find out when the water gates are open/flowing? Is there a website or is there a phone number i can call? Thanks
Old 11-05-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calikid View Post
I went fishing today but no luck. Got to the aqueduct around 10:30am. Gate was flowing water real good. A guy was already fishing and landed one. I thought cool they're biting. It was a good size it was curved in his big net. I didn't get to talk to him cause i was getting my gear ready to fish. Before i threw my line in the water. the pumps turned off and the water was still. No current at all. That sucks bad. after that the guy just packed up and left. I guess he knew the bite was over. I tried anchovies and rattle traps with no luck. So i drove south to another gate but it was off also. Saw alot of minnows in the water but no fish jumping. It was kind of hot today so i tried fishing under the bridges. No luck either. I did meet a guy who said he caught a 23lb catfish last week by an irrigation pump and a 43 inch striper under a bridge the week before. but he said the water was moving. Does anyone have tips fishing the aqueduct when the water isn't moving? Does anyone know how to find out when the water gates are open/flowing? Is there a website or is there a phone number i can call? Thanks
my friend works with the water flowing opening and closing, im gonna hit him up and post some info, this is around bakersfield area
Old 11-05-2009, 01:19 AM
drilltrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshod View Post
striper bill,
what top water lures do u recommend and what are all these big stripers jumping for on the top been seeing alot the past week...
if your looking for a kick ass topwater plug, heres what all the guys who fish on the delta use and a few of us up on the northern sac use...

http://www.basstackledepot.com/black...kerpunker.aspx
6", but its somewhat heavy, need at least a good stiff med-hevy to heavy rod, comes in silent and rattling and is 20 bucks

6" or 9" wood baits, silent. i prefer this bait when its windy since its heavier than the molded one. need same rod or a good swimbait rod for the 9". i use a okumba 7'11" heavy swimbait rod for that.

heres a video from a guide on the delta fishing for stripers with a lunker punker. catches a monster! def. watch this all the way through!
http://www.basstackledepot.com/video/Barrack.htm
Old 11-05-2009, 05:20 AM
Striper Hunter

Thanks bigshod! Can you also ask about the huron area also?
Old 11-05-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drilltrash View Post
if your looking for a kick ass topwater plug, heres what all the guys who fish on the delta use and a few of us up on the northern sac use...

6", but its somewhat heavy, need at least a good stiff med-hevy to heavy rod, comes in silent and rattling and is 20 bucks

6" or 9" wood baits, silent. i prefer this bait when its windy since its heavier than the molded one. need same rod or a good swimbait rod for the 9". i use a okumba 7'11" heavy swimbait rod for that.

heres a video from a guide on the delta fishing for stripers with a lunker punker. catches a monster! def. watch this all the way through!
http://www.basstackledepot.com/video/Barrack.htm
sweet brotha good looking out
Old 11-05-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calikid View Post
Thanks bigshod! Can you also ask about the huron area also?
u got it
Old 11-07-2009, 06:39 AM
Striper Hunter

What are the best hours to fish the aqueduct? For fall fishing? Winter?