John Haberek - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum > Commemorative Threads
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Commemorative Threads Gone but not Forgotten

Old 09-23-2007, 10:43 AM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO
Default John Haberek

He will be missed. John left a lasting legacy, among surfcasters. A legend among plug builders. You truly will be missed, my friend.
Prayers and condolences to your wife and family in this time of sorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2007, 06:00 PM
First Mate

Default John Haberek

John Haberek founder of Habs custom plugs died unexpectedly yesterday. one of the great plug builders and generally just a good guy.
wasn't sure where to post this but it seemed at home here since
any new england surfcaster worth his salt has fished a "Habs".
RIP John
Old 09-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Lunker

Unhappy Re: John Haberek

Jersey fisherman also. Prayers for the Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2007, 12:54 AM

Default Re: John "Habs" Habarek passed away.

I've only recently started reading about him, but he seemed like a great guy and one who's legacy will live on for years to come. My condolences as well
Old 09-24-2007, 12:10 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I was shocked when I heard the news, IMHO, he made the best needle fish ever produced....

Rest in peace John, heaven needs fisherman too....
Old 09-24-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Re: John Haberek

Rest In Peace Habs.

John M. Haberek Sr.

John Michael Haberek, Sr., 53, of Red Wing Trail, Smithfield, Rhode Island, died unexpectedly on Sunday, September 23, 2007 after having been stricken at his residence and was transported to St. Joseph’s Hospital – Fatima Unit in North Providence where he was pronounced. He was the husband of Jessica (Ashworth) Haberek to whom he was married on September 14, 1974.

Born in Norwood, Massachusetts on March 8, 1954, he was a son of Amelia (Piedzewick) Haberek of Attleboro and the late Edward J. Haberek, Sr. He was raised and educated in Attleboro and resided in Attleboro and North Attleboro prior to moving to Smithfield, Rhode Island 21 years ago.

Mr. Haberek was the founder, owner and operator of Habs Custom Plugs in Smithfield, Rhode Island for more than the past 10 years. He was able to combine his love for the sport of fishing with a career and founded his company that created custom wooden fishing lures.

Previously, Mr. Haberek was a self employed lobsterman and owned a concrete company. Prior to becoming self employed, he worked as a heavy equipment operator in the excavating industry and for Rosenfeld Concrete in Milford, Massachusetts.

A true outdoorsman, he was a member and committeeman of the Wallum Lake Rod and Gun Club in Harrisville and was a member of the Wrentham Sportsman’s Club.

He had a lifelong love for Labrador Retrievers and was active with his beloved canines in field trials.

In addition to his wife of 33 years and his mother, he leaves a son: John M. Haberek, Jr. of Smithfield, Rhode Island; four siblings: Jo-Ann M. Wall of Middletown, Rhode Island; Michael A. Haberek of Norton; Gregory D. Haberek of Swansea and Michelle S. Carlson of Attleboro and several nieces and nephews. He was the brother of the late Edward J. "Butchie" Haberek, Jr.

Relatives and friends are cordially invited to attend visitation on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 from 4:00 – 8:00 PM in the "Memorial Chapel" of the DYER-LAKE FUNERAL HOME, 161 Commonwealth Avenue (exit 5 off I-95 N or S, go right at end of ramp, mile on left), Village of Attleboro Falls, North Attleboro.

Relatives and friends are cordially invited to attend the Funeral Service on Thursday, September 27, 2007 at 10:00 AM in the "Memorial Chapel" of the DYER-LAKE FUNERAL HOME, 161 Commonwealth Avenue (exit 5 off I-95 N or S, go right at end of ramp, mile on left), Village of Attleboro Falls, North Attleboro.

Burial will follow in North Purchase Cemetery, Attleboro.

Children’s room available during visitation and the funeral service.

Following cemetery services an invitation will be extended to join the family for a time of continued fellowship and refreshment at a location to be announced.

In lieu of flowers and if desired, memorial donations in Mr. Haberek’s name and honor may be made to the charity of choice.

To send the family an expression of sympathy, please visit an on-line register book located on the internet at www.dyer-lakefuneralhome.com.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:01 PM

Rest In Peace Habs.

John M. Haberek Sr.

Habs First plugs

Habs and Tattoo Mike Dauphin

Old 09-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Official Member

John was truely a stand up man. Shared a few evenings drinking blueberry ales and he was always willing to share his knowledge. My deepest sympathies to his family.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:20 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

that sucks. one hopes to leave a legacy like that behind and sure he knew it. god speed to one helluva artist.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:23 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

rest in peace...
Old 09-25-2007, 11:06 AM
Veteran Elite

Rest In Peace John.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Veteran Elite

Man I am still bummin from the news. He was a great person. I only knew him for a few months, but I remember watching him fish with a special needs kid at the wallum lake derby. And working with his dogs. He will be missed.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:44 PM

He was a stand up guy that's for sure! I too didn't know him for too long but sure glad I had to chance to know him. I was up at the club tonight and the stories were going around. Hab will be missed.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:09 AM

There are some good stories about him in the book "On the Run"
Old 09-27-2007, 03:40 AM

Habs was a person I always wanted to meet but never did. What's worse is that I had opportunities but let them pass figuring there would be plenty of other chances.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends