Striper spoons - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:11 PM
First Mate

Default Striper spoons

Anyone ever cast their own spoons/jigs for striper fishing? Im tired of losing $10 a pop for a simple spoon to a blue or a rock!

I have the lead, I just need a mold to pour it in.

kb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 02:28 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: Striper spoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb View Post
Anyone ever cast their own spoons/jigs for striper fishing? Im tired of losing $10 a pop for a simple spoon to a blue or a rock!

I have the lead, I just need a mold to pour it in.

kb

Back in the pre WWII era, "spoons" were cast from tin, and called squids.. these came in many styles and usually sported a keel... lead is too dense to make a good working spoon, tin is more buoyant and has a better action...

Many of us pour our own lead head jigs... I think i have molds for about 6 or seven varieties.. in about 10 different sizes from 1/16 oz shad darts to 10 ounce parachute jigs... google do it molds and you'll find a variety of molds available for almost any style jig you might want to pour....

a word of caution... do not breathe the lead vapors... they are hazardous to your health... do your pouring in a well ventilated area....
Old 10-23-2011, 12:18 PM
First Mate

Ive been casting muzzleloading balls for years, so working with lead isnt new to me. I can order a mold,, but I want to find one that is worth working on. I can add tin to the mixture to make it more workable....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Official Member

KB.... It's a little tougher now making metal lures, since the tire places are changing over from Lead / Antimony for wheel weights...Now a lot is metal (steel or tin )...You can't use soft lead as it pulls out....Only used for jig heads...On the west coast we're using it for about 25-30 yrs..you makea wood frame a little larger than the lure you're going to copy,,put a layer of 1/2"non hardinjng clay so it can be used again for more molds..I use Ix 2 " wood ...Finished is 3/4 x ! 1/2..make sure you have plenty of room for pour hole & at least 3/8" on bottom to stop leakage...the silacone is in a syrup state, somake sure the clay seals in wood bottom.now press your lure halfway into clay...regular lures such as Miki tibs, Hopkins,kastmasters are easier than curved ones as spoons, but it can be done..now take a 1/4" drill & make holes in 4 corners 1/4" deep...these are keyways to alaign the mold halves...J use a nail section on top of lure to give me a guide for the pour hole...remember only halfway deep on lure & nail...Now I use vaseline as a release agent so nothing sticks use a 1/2 fine brush to coat entire interior of mold & lure... We used to use car bondo for moldings...But I ran across a Silacone thatdoes a better jobthan bondo ,which burns out after a while,,,I'v e got a mold thats poured over 1,000 lures & still is perfect...Just dont keep pouring over 3-4 without cooling....The silacone takes around 400-600 degrees heat...Butwill warp & leak if over poured over & over..,,,I make the mold with screws so i can loosen when hard....At this point check the mold half & if itsok after 24 hrs turn mold upside down & push the rubber half with lure back into original area...put nail in.....& very important thatyou use vaseline again, or you'll have a solid ball of silacone...Very Important !!..you can see the 4 holes which are pertruding up...coat everything...You should have filled the mold about 1/4" from top in first pour plus the space the clay took was1/2"....so a total of 3/4 " will make halves of 3/4 ' each with the second pour......now if completely set than scrub with a strong soap to remove all vasiline, then dry & smoke with a candle so it'll pour better...Get a exacto blade or razor to widdle a pour hole....I cut 1/4 wood to match mold size & use sheet metal vise grips to hold while pouring lead...A good tip is to pour 3 molds at oince... do this for 3 pour & you have 9 lures to work on while the molds cool down,,,,The silacone is probably available out east...if not check back with me...Mine is at Douglas & Sturgess co 730 Bryant st...San Francisco, call 415-896-6283 Item is # Silastic silacone @2258 wth hardener......mix very well...This container is one pd .....about beer can...tough to divide into four pours ...I ended mixing entire container & pour 4 molds One Pk = about 2 full molds
Old 12-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Official Member

forgot to mention its around $20 per pk & makes 2 complete molds...You can try with bondo first,,,Just use same proceedures..Just recheck everything before you go to next step...Any questions Either IM or call 650-871-0138 Jim
Old 10-13-2012, 01:10 AM
Striper Hunter

What type of spoon ya looking for . I make a lot of jigging slabs and have a bunch of stuff that was poured with blemishes I don't have time to fool with . I could sell them to you for the cost of the wire and lead .
Old 10-23-2012, 11:23 PM
Striper Hunter

with a little painting skill this is what you can make with these slabs .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shad Experiment.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	16204  
Old 08-04-2013, 12:39 AM
Official Member

these are do-it mold lures...you can pour one after another..with silastic silacone molds you can copy almost any thing..just let cool after 3 pours to allow mold not to warp etc...take care & it'll last a long time...I have one thats poured over 1000 lures.......Jim