Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Striper Shore Fishing in NH

7K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Striperjim 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I normally striper fish in Maine. But today I am looking for some spots on shore in the NH area. Any ideas? Slightly south in MA and slightly north in ME is not bad either. I haven't fished off land in NH so I need a few ideas.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I dunno how much help I can be as I am still very new and havn't had much luck yet. But on plum island in mass there are always lots of surf casters and I'm going to try Dover point tomorrow. I'm trying to scope out a few spots as I'm typing this message. PM merrillizer. He's been a huge help for me. I'm sure he can point you in the right direction. He seems very knowledgeable about the NH area. Good luck

#3 ·
The fish are finally stacking up in to the rivers/marshes and pounding on bait. This season in the marsh has been just like 2008, slooooow. Last Spring, in '09, we were croakin' the fish. I actually used only 1 lure from May 1st all the way through June last season, which happened to be a wood Spook made by Roccus Joe. The fish were everywhere. But this season was off to another slow start. I havent surfcasted yet this season, too much goin' on in my life. But I have been hitting the marshes regularly and things are "off" compared to most "normal" season, at least upside the marsh anyway. Thats my observation. Things just arent on point. I'm finding stripers in different spots than the norm. The patterns are different, things are matching up, etc.

I would recommend you scout out some marsh first. Work that, then work your way out to the shoreline. You basically fish any rocky point, outcrop, cove or "rockbowl" you can find along the NH coast. I have found some nice fish in the bowls formed by the rockbeds. If you're surfcasting from shore, I would recommend drifting a Mackeral whole, or atleast half of it, out on a 8/0 circle sea hook. I use a 20/25# flourocarbon leader around 18 to 24" with 30# Fireline when fishing the large rockbowls and structure when surfcasting. The main surfcasting rig is a custom 9' St. Croix Ben Doerr with a Shimano baitrunner. I prefer a baitrunner when drifting bait. I also use another rig for plugging and eeling, a 7' custom Tica rod with a Quantum Cabo PT40 spooled with 20# Fireline. I will usually use a 15# flourocarbon leader on that.

Gonna slow down now, and wait for your response lol happy3.gif

'medic, wanna meet us next week out in the marsh? Probably weds. or thurs. night

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.