planner board set up - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Chesapeake Bay
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Chesapeake Bay A sub-forum for the Chesapeake Bay and all its tributaries Rockfish Rocks.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Official Member

Default planner board set up

Hi guys,
Just was looking for some help setting up planner boards on my boat. This was my first fall season trolling for striper and I had some sucess the last few trips out . I have just been trolling with the sea striker planners and ran four lines from my rod holders out the backof the boat. I did notice most guys running planners out the side of the boat with several lines attached to each side. First question how many lines can be ran off each side? Second question I have an extended hard top and was wondering if anyone had pictures of a planer board set up that they can share. Also any suggestions on what planners to buy? Seems like their are alot of choices. I pulled my boat for the season but want to have it ready for the spring trophy season. I would be willing to take someone out that has had some experiance useing these planners also. They look like they could be difficult with all those lines. I just want to make sure i am useing them right and setting them up right and mabe find a fishing partner. I attached a picture of the boat if that helps.

Thanks Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	16240  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: planner board set up

Here are the planer boards we run on our boat - really easy to make and a fun project for when you are off the water:
http://www.downtimecharters.com/Idea...-plans2010.pdf

If you look close you can see that there is a Big John Planer Reel on each side of the hardtop-mounted rocket launcher. The lines run up to the front of the handrail on each side of the hardtop and then out to the boards.

Here's how we run our rods. The downrigger rods use the rod holder on the riggers. Then we run another boat rod straight out from the side and the front three holders run to the planers.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Official Member

Thanks for the pictures and plans this will help out greatly. looks like your hard top is lower than mine, Can you reach those from standing on the deck? I would need to stand on a bucket to reach the top. Do you see a problem with mounting the reels low on my hard top frame them the pully directly above them up high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Striper Hunter

If it were mine I would probably mount reels on the supports for the top towards the back and then mount either pulleys or brass rings on top towards the front. Another alternate is to use electric cord reels and wind them in by hand. You really have to pull on the lines to use the mounted reels anyway because the boards pull so hard. We usually turn into the side we are bringing in to make the chore a little easier. Here's a photo of a fish we caught on a tandem rig on a board.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Official Member

Wow nice fish. I think thats what Im going to do....mount reels towards back and pully towards front. Where do you fish out of? I have to be honest I have tried trolling with tandems,singles, unbrellas and have not cought a fish...I had some large drone spoons and cought five or six fish the last two times out this season. The last day of fishing 15th We had 2 that were around 38 inches and cought them down by point no point in 40 feet of water. I hope useing planners will help my numbers. I am new to salt water fishing but I think I did very well during the summer and fall this year. I cant wait untill the spring.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Striper Hunter

We fish mostly in Pocomoke and Tangier Sounds, although we do venture out through Kedges Straits to the main shipping channel both north and south of the target ship. That last fish photo was taken the Saturday after Thanksgiving in 2011 south of Tangier Light. That same day we caught three other fish - one on a tandem parachute, one on a Mojo and one on a Crippled Alewife spoon.