Dumb and Dummerer - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Lounge
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Lounge Off-topic discussion here. Non-fishing related chit chat & banter. No Divisive subject matter - No Viscious Political and Religious debates please.

Old 03-20-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Oh I could go on and on

1) I was a young kid about 10 years old and I went fishin' for stripers on the long island sound with my grandfather and my aunt. As a kid does after having gotten up at 4:00 am I had to go pee. My grandfather sent me into the weeds to go, the sun was just starting to come up. Unknown to me, my aunt swings back to cast a 7/0 hook with clam. I am happily doing my business when I see a hook with clam land in between my legs, a second later it come flying up and whack :shock: :shock: :o . I lived on two have a coupla' sons but it was a scary moment and one you never forget. There goes father's day!!!

2) A year later, call it 12 years old. Sitting in my room getting ready to go deep sea fishing with dad for blues. Find a nice old hook on a three foot leader. I made a paper air plane, put the hook in the plane and started to swing it around the room. It was great, going faster and faster, could not believe it. Then, whoom :shock: , where did the plane go. I look around and it was gone. Then I feel something on the back of my head, it was a blue fish hook connected to a paper airplane. No pain involved but 11 stitches later and a swift whack from dad I was off the next day deep sea fishing.

3) More recent, call it two years ago. In the Raritan bay at the reach night fishing for striper and blues. My cousin comes out with me bragging about his new Loomis rod and Sustain reel. Nice rig, but I told him a bit light. It was late and the fishing slowed down and he went for a beer. I said, "bro, better loosen that drag." Nahh he said, "it aint goin' nowheres." Before he could get the last word out - whoomf right into the Raritan Bay and gone forever. I remind him of that one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2005, 06:00 PM

LOL great stories dem.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:52 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Q. what was the first thing you stuck your #@&%$ in? A. ("i got mine in a clam when i was 12"!)
Q. wow! lucky guy! lmfao!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2005, 07:28 PM

A CLAM!!! LOL
Old 03-21-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Never realized ...

LOL - true enough, shortly after the hook in the head incident, I began fishing with live clam, now 15 years later, salted at best.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:44 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i will be soakin clams this week in my quest for the first bass of the season, i like em fresh outta da shell. and if you figure this out i spit on the clam before i dunk! :shock:

Old 04-06-2005, 12:35 AM
Veteran Elite

Wow first time I've actually read this post....quite funny...I've probably done 1/2 the things listed here, but I'd have to say (and am quite shocked no one (or thier wife) have posted this answer) Learning to love fishing. Got to be the dumbest thing I've ever done, or at least my bank account thinks so. I think I need a better job just to support my fishing habit
Old 05-17-2005, 09:37 AM

Forgot to put the drain plug in the boat. Launched the boat and pulled into my slip. As I'm walking back to move the truck and trailer, I see my bilge pump working over-time. It's probably been 20 years since I ran that fast. Got the boat back on the trailer. WOW! Boy, did I feel Stupid!
Old 05-17-2005, 01:12 PM
Pro Staff

Was fishing for smallmouth one time on the Current River in S.E. Missouri, maybe 15 years old or so, drifting backwards in my canoe trolling along a bluff. I was paying attention to my lure, working it real close to the overhang, and I was at the bend in the river before I knew it. Got slammed into the cliff and capsized throwing open tacklebox, cooler, rods, and myself into the drink which was about 25' deep at that point. :cry: :cry:
Old 05-17-2005, 05:01 PM

OMG that stinks!, did u get anything back?
Old 05-17-2005, 05:16 PM

I've lost many a' cellphone to capsized canoes... :D
Canoes make me nervous now...but I over came my fear and went out on Sunday, caught 5 LMB...
Old 05-17-2005, 05:27 PM
Pro Staff

One rod had a cork handle, so it floated and I got it back. Got the cooler back, but the tackle box and most of its contents sleep with the fishes. It was a cool, drizzly day, so there wasn't really anyone else on the water to help me out either. To top it off, I still had about 12 miles to go before I got to the campsite where my dad would pick me up. Usually not that big of a deal, but it sucked that I couldn't fish the rest of the way. I used to do 30-40 mile canoe trips all the time when I was a kid, those were the days!

2 of my brothers and I for years had a little tradition of taking a 30 mile float on Christmas Day on a little fast flowing, twisty river near where we lived. We'd never heard of wet or dry suits either. Just hunting coveralls and a parka. You get caught in a snag and go under and you're definately getting very wet and cold, which happened to me more than once. Pretty stupid when I think back on it now.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:54 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Non fishing related

Yesterday I may have pulled off the most bone headed stunt of my life,non fishing related....I was on my way to work,luch on the front seat,new picture for my office( painting of gloucster water front) as I buckle up I notice the overhead work light on in the garage,not the one that operates with the door,the work light, so with truck running, I get out...BAM... it lurches forward and drives the handle of the wheel barrow through the radiator...I guess it wasnt in neutral!

So I have a tennis ball sized hole in the radiator, and the bottom tank is cracked..... by 1:00 the fiberglass patch on the tank is dry,I've solders the damaged tubes and have the rest of a gourgeous day off...think anyone at work will belive this one..... (at least I have the "show and tell" radiator as my defense) :shrug:
Old 06-22-2005, 10:04 AM

That's a good one roc. Better to put the car/truck in park than neutral though. Maybe you need more sleep :tired: or at least another :coffee: .
Old 06-22-2005, 10:11 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

maybe they will believe it if you said a wheelbarrel went through your boat!