Important - Possible Missing Surfcaster - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Official Member

Default Important - Possible Missing Surfcaster

Message from West Shore Fire Department Chief, Dave Collins, West Haven, CT

This is a request in my official capacity as a Fire Chief in West Haven. On 7/20/12 @ approx. 8:50 pm a surfcaster was noted in distress on the incoming tide at the Short Beach flats at the mouth of the Housatonic River in Stratford. The reporting parties on shore stated that they saw the fisherman waving his light in approx. four feet of water near the "no wake" bouy. Stratford, Milford and West Haven boats along with the Coast guard helicopter and boats are searching as we speak. The usual parking area for surfcaster was empty upon the Stratford FD's wxcept for a black Audi that was seen leaving the parking lot after the person driving it closed his trunk. If anyone knows a surfcaster with a black Audi who was fishing at Short Beach on Friday night please have him call the Stratford 911 center to add information to this search. Hopefully it is unfounded.

1st Annual Stratford Professional Firefighters Burn Foundation Bluefish Tournament

http://www.iafflocal998.org/spffbfbl...ournament.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Pro Staff

Default Re: Important - Possible Missing Surfcaster

Any update on this? Was he found?
Old 07-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Striper Hunter

I am a few days behind but I will keep my eye out as i live in New Haven and fish that area often.....

best of luck

on a side note did they mention the possible race as a distinguishing feature??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansensfd View Post
Message from West Shore Fire Department Chief, Dave Collins, West Haven, CT

This is a request in my official capacity as a Fire Chief in West Haven. On 7/20/12 @ approx. 8:50 pm a surfcaster was noted in distress on the incoming tide at the Short Beach flats at the mouth of the Housatonic River in Stratford. The reporting parties on shore stated that they saw the fisherman waving his light in approx. four feet of water near the "no wake" bouy. Stratford, Milford and West Haven boats along with the Coast guard helicopter and boats are searching as we speak. The usual parking area for surfcaster was empty upon the Stratford FD's wxcept for a black Audi that was seen leaving the parking lot after the person driving it closed his trunk. If anyone knows a surfcaster with a black Audi who was fishing at Short Beach on Friday night please have him call the Stratford 911 center to add information to this search. Hopefully it is unfounded.
I must not be reading this right cause each time I see it I find myself more confused (I've had a lot on my mind lately so it is entirely possible I'm just missing the boat here). Who were the people on shore that saw this surfcaster in distress and did they lose sight of him at some point before rescue crews showed up? I know nothing of that beach or general area but am I correct in assuming that the missing fisherman was wading in 4' of water and was noticed in distress by some people walking on the beach and not another/other fisherman? Who was that guy seen leaving the parking lot in a black audi, is it confirmed that he was a surfcatser as well? Is there any chance that the guy seen leaving could have been the guy who was seen in distress? Did he just happen to be in that parking lot and have no knowledge of what was transpiring or is he wanted for questioning/thought to be involved with the surfcaster in distress? I apologize in advance if any of this sounds smart-ass or off color but I can assure I'm just trying to piece this together and not in any way trying to make light of a seemingly tragic situation. I sincerely hope whoever this guy is that he was rescued and brought home safe and sound.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Striper Hunter

I know nothing of "who saw him" but the issue w/ that location is that there is an inner and outer channel. by the description of "near the no wake marker" that would put him on the sand bar on the far side of the inner channel. if the water he was in was 4' then the inner channel would have been between 8 and 10' at that stage in the tide; in short if he got to shore he did some swimming (in what can be a ripping current) to get there. It is a commonly waded location but can be VERY dangerous if you are not paying attention or do not know the TOPO of the river and its channels.... the flat/bar that he was fishing on lets you wade out almost 200 yrds but the inner channel still needs to be crossed on the way back to shore, that is the proverbial boat that you were missing..... also the blk Audi thing ???? who knows it could be something or nothing ?????

best wishes
Old 07-31-2012, 05:34 PM
First Mate

Sounds to me like they wanted to find out if black audi guy was also the fisherman in distress, so they'd know that he made it back to shore ok and could call off the search, or if he wasn't, maybe he could give them info on the fisherman in distress.

Last edited by TFKiv; 07-31-2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: wanted to add more.