on a sad note - RIP Jack Gartside - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum > Commemorative Threads
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Commemorative Threads Gone but not Forgotten

Old 12-09-2009, 11:23 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default on a sad note - RIP Jack Gartside

Jack Gartside died on sunday. anyone worth thier salt knew who jack was. god, he learned to tie fly's at the age of 10 from Ted Williams. i wanted to acknowlege Dave Skok's efforts and friendship to Jack as i know he was close and was there for jack and took care of alot for him. i didn't get to say goodbye and didn't get to see and thank dave for what he did for jack at somerset. jack will be sorely missed. my wife liked him and that say's alot as she cares less for most of my fishing friends and aquaintences. argued with him for 20 minutes once over a place called Muttontown on staten island. "there is one in Long Island - but he dated a woman from staten island in muttontown and i just backed away and enjoyed his constant insistance of it's existance here. he was a corny/crafty/goofy kind of guy and i always looked forward to hearing him speak or give a class or just pick his brain. i wasn't close to him but i knew when i was at somerset and saw he was absent (and then heard he was really sick) it dawned on me how much a part of the experience he was and subsequently will always be. i thought to put this in the striper forum as imo, there is not too many people better at striper fishing than jack. wow, i just went on there. i didn't post the particulars as tomorrow there is a service up in boston. the world was a better place with jack in it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 11:06 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO
Default Re: on a sad note

I'm sorry to hear this sad news Zim. I know how it is to lose a good friend. My heart goes out to you, and his family. I pray that the good Lord will his family, and you, my friend, understanding and serenity at this time of sorrow.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:36 AM
take a kid fishing

I never met the man, but he sounds like one of a kind. Sounds like not knowing him was my loss. My best wishes to him and his family. Hope he's in heaven, leaning back against a good bass.
Staten Island, New York
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009, 10:14 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Yes very sad.. we've lost a few "greats" over the last few years....
Old 12-11-2009, 10:30 AM
First Mate

I did not know Jack but had realized how nice of a man he was by listening to folks in Somerset. Everyone spoke kindly of him when talking about him not being present. My condolences go out to his family and friends. For some reason I had the need to call you (Zim)the other day as I had some sort of feeling. I will say a pray for his family and friends God Bless
Old 12-11-2009, 01:19 PM

I met him once at the Somerset fly show Paulie and the only thing I knew to talk to him about was you and that brought a huge smile to his face. I'm sorry for your loss dude, he was a humble sweet man. My condolences to his family and friends.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:42 AM
First Mate

John Clarence “Jack” Gartside
1942 – 2009
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Pro Staff

Rest in peace, Jack. I never met him, but spoke with him several times on the phone. I'll never forget the advice he offered. One of a kind. He will certainly be missed.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Official Member

Default Re: on a sad note - RIP Jack Gartside

I was going over older threads here looking for something to respond to and this caught my eye. I'm sorry I didn't see it sooner, Z. I never met Jack, but from the way you and others described him, it seems like he was quite a guy. The fishing world is definitely a smaller place with his leaving us.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It gave me, one who had never met him, a chance to learn a little about him.

We lost a good guy on the NJ side this week, Ernie Wuesthoff from Normandy Beach. He was a great guy and never too busy to share a story.

All I can say to anyone out there who might read a thread like this is that we don't have tomorrow guaranteed, only today.

If there's someone in your life you were planning on seeing, or calling, and just haven't gotten to it, why not pick up that phone today and make the call. You'll be glad ya did.

My condolences to Jack's family and friends.