New aquarium (new vids added 11/26) - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Lounge
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Lounge Off-topic discussion here. Non-fishing related chit chat & banter. No Divisive subject matter - No Viscious Political and Religious debates please.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:25 PM

JB

The Aragalive (aragamax) also comes in 1/2 gallon containers. Much cheaper. I think about 17 bucks. just spread it on top of the sand as a medim for beneficial bacteria. Its crushed coral. You dont need more than that.
I use oceanic sea salt it comes in pre measured ready to use 1/1/2 pound bags (1.45 lbs or 658 g bags) . Each bag makes 5 gallons perfect for water changes. They come 10 in a box. Or you can buy the 5 gallon buckets of Instant ocean. I cup = 5 gallons.
I used to get my stuff from http://www.bigalsonline.com/splash.html but the heavier stuff is a little costly to ship. They have a fast delivery.
Most petcos sell the instant ocean. 8) Have fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2005, 05:27 PM

What are the minimum reqiurements to keep like a 10gal or more tank going?

...and I don't feel like changing the f'in water everyday!

I was thinkin' a couple small fish...some underwater castles, bubbling scuba divers, fake plants...you know the deal...
Old 03-09-2005, 12:20 AM

10 % water change monthly. Thats a gallon jug of water per 10 gallons. Freshwater or salt?
10 gallons is too small for salt . (Unforgiving in a closed system.)
10 gallon set up
Tank & stand 50 bucks, heater 15 bucks. Cheap usable filter 25 bucks. Gravel 10 bucks. Thermometor 2 bucks. Net 4.99. Crap you put inside tank (diver, air stone. treasure chest. plants, wooden log ) 30 bucks.
Fish priceless. 8)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2005, 12:48 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Yeah, 10 gallon is too small for a marine aquarium. I have seen small marine tanks done ("Nano tanks"), but they only have 1 fish lol. I've seen a 10 gallon tank with some live rock and a Yellow Watchman Goby or two. Bout it.

I got my Arag-Alive tonight. Luckily, the place had ONE bag of the finer Fiji Pink grade left. Just what I wanted. Now I can mix it with 20 pounds of the Aragamax I got. Picked up some Instant Ocean salt, some Start Right, and a net. Now I'm ready to gett'r done.

Only thing is, the f'in live rock didnt come in today. I dont know what their problem is. They only ship live stuff like that twice a week, Monday's and Thursday's, so you get it the next day (UPS overnight shipping). We ordered it last week, and it aint shown up yet. I'm pissed.

Old 03-09-2005, 01:24 PM

Ok, I got tha lowdown....they ship the live rock 2 DAY, not overnight. So live rock tomorrow. Got the coral today. I am acclimating them in my friends tank now. They will stay there till my tank cycles through. I just checked the tracking for all the other gear, and its out for delivery now! YES! A day early, so I can begin the process tonight :D I will lay my sand bed, and get my water in tonight and let the heater and filter run over night, then add live rock tomorrow night.

Old 03-09-2005, 06:22 PM

Can you guys recomend a tank (small and cheap, but no hex junk...just a rectangle)?...maybe a filter?...also, what kinda rocks/plants???

'preciate the help...
Old 03-09-2005, 09:46 PM

You can get one in walmart with the lighting and stand. Get new, used tanks can leak and the price isnt that much different. If you can find a 20 gallon long they are cooler. All you need to purchase is a filter. Get an overhanging filter. Not the pump filters or undergravels. They will work but the other ones are better. I think walmarts has a filter included. all you need is a heater and a bag of gravel. and fish. You can get decorations and plants from walmart also. Or a petco too.

Dont use the shale rocks or slate from outside they have oil in em. get plain rocks without oil.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:29 PM

Tank is set up and fully operational!!! (less the 4 live corals, which will come home in a few weeks or so).

It looks INCREDIBLE. I almost dumped my drawers after I got done with everything and turned the lights on. I will surely get some pics!!!

I got 25 pounds of Tongan Branch live rock, and fa goodness sakes, I didnt think I'd be able to fit it all lol. This stuff covers alot of space, especially vetical, so you can do so much more as compared to the rounder, more buly live rocks like the Fiji stuff. I may get 2 or 3 Fiji rocks to add a little "base rock" to it, but I am just totally impressed with how this came out. I planned out how I wanted it too look beforehand, and after setting everything up, it came out perfect. This is so much more than I expected! I am thankful to the universe and the Powers That Be for creating such AWESOME things, and allowing us to enjoy it :D

Anyone who has any room in their life whatsoever for a new hobby, I HIGHLY suggest you look into doing a marine tank for yourself and/or your family.

THIS RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-16-2005, 06:02 PM

Tank is coming along well. Put my low-light soft corals in a few days ago. The 2 mushroom ones and the Yellow Polyp one are doing great. But unfortunately, my Christmas Tree coral pissed tha bed. It put it in, and it rooted well into the sand, then begin to grow up and it was acting normal. But after about a day and a half, it was slumped over and not moving. I let it sit for another day or 2 hoping it would move, because sometimes thats what they will do....not move for awhile especially at night, then start to grow back again. But this time it was slumped over for good. So I decided to take it out because I didnt want it sitting in there festering and making the ammonia and nitrates rise through the roof. I think the Christmas Tree may have starved. I got some Kent Chromaplex for it, and put some on it so it would absorb immediately, but it was too late. I was busy and went about 5/6 days before the getting to proper filter-feeding food, so I think thats why it pooped. Oh well. Thats 30 bux down tha hole.

Other than that, tank looks sweet. I will get some pics up ASAP.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:05 PM

Do u have fish in it yet??

I want to get an aquarium, but i dont know where do start. My parents use to have a nice one, but i dont know what happened to it. My friends also says he will sell me his for cheap like 80$$ that one is HUGE Though its gotta be atleast 5 feet long. Is that a good deal considering it is in good shape and everything? I also was wandering if i could some how but like a largemouth bass or catfish in it, but i dont know if you can do that. Also what would i need to get for the bottom of the tank and stuff if i put a largemouth bass in it??

Thanks

O ya an my mom still has like like a fake looking coral thing and a treasure chest that when it opens it bubbles. And other little stuff like a little cave. I dont know if that stuff would be usefull or not anyways.And do they sell largemouth bass at like pet-co or somthing or would i have to get them specially ordered
Old 03-16-2005, 08:34 PM

I kinda wanna do the same thing...

...Mike...I dont think they sell Bass in pet stores...
I think you'd have to go out and catch some really small ones...
Old 03-17-2005, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striper777
Do u have fish in it yet??

I want to get an aquarium, but i dont know where do start. My parents use to have a nice one, but i dont know what happened to it. My friends also says he will sell me his for cheap like 80$$ that one is HUGE Though its gotta be atleast 5 feet long. Is that a good deal considering it is in good shape and everything? I also was wandering if i could some how but like a largemouth bass or catfish in it, but i dont know if you can do that. Also what would i need to get for the bottom of the tank and stuff if i put a largemouth bass in it??

Thanks

O ya an my mom still has like like a fake looking coral thing and a treasure chest that when it opens it bubbles. And other little stuff like a little cave. I dont know if that stuff would be usefull or not anyways.And do they sell largemouth bass at like pet-co or somthing or would i have to get them specially ordered
If its over 5 feet long its gotta be a 72 gallon. Wickid nice tank. I am going to upgrade from my 40 to either the 72 gallon Bow Front, or the 94 gallon Corner tank (also a bow front). Anyhow, if he only wants 80 bucks, and its really that big, then yeah, I'd say snag it. If it comes with the wood stand, EVEN BETTER!

If its going to be your first tank, then I would recommend trying a freshwater setup out. If your hell bent on doing a marine tank, you have to understand it really is a HOBBY and it will demand even MORE TIME from you than a freshwater tank will. A marine (saltwater) tank will also cost you more to start up, and maybe a little more to maintain. BUT, with that said, the selection and types of Marine fish you can get are so much better than freshwater. Harder to keep, but with more reward.

You definitely wont find any bucketmouths at the pet shop. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have caught baby bass, and I have read ALOT of literature about keeping them in a tank, and in the long run, it's not good to do unless you have A VERY LARGE TANK, atleast 100 gallons or more. These fish will grow 3 times their size between a year or 2. The maintaince and upkeep of them would be so much, you really have to devote alot of your time to taking care of them. If you cant commit all of that, its not worth getting into.

I'd LOVE to have 2 baby Largemouths, but it's cruel to keep them tanked up like that if you cant maintain them the whole way through.

P.S. I used Bacter-Vital to cycle my tank, but I still waited 7 days before adding a fish. I put in an Orange Spotted Goby (bottom dweller and sand sifter). And I added a Maroon Clownfish (looks like "Nemo", 'cept he's Maroon not Orange). Tuesday night.

I will post some pics of the fish I will have in my tank....

Old 03-17-2005, 05:16 PM

NEMO!!!

...I hate to say it...but that was a great movie... 8)
Old 03-17-2005, 05:22 PM

LOL. I havent seen it yet.

But that Maroon Clownfish is known to get a little feisty when they get older. Mines just a baby pretty much, but if he grows up to be grumpy, I will have to take him to Pet City and put him up for sale. There will be 3 more fish in my tank over the next few months for a total of 5, and I cant have any riff-raff or any pow-wows in tha tank. If bothers any of his future tank mates, I will sell him and get a False Percula Clownfish, which is Orange just like Nemo.

Maroon Clowns also can grow to 6", so they are biggest of the Clownfish types.

Old 03-17-2005, 05:44 PM

I had two of them and a watchman goby but the freiken snowflake eel ate them one by one. If I go away for a few days the other fish have to look out!!.

Yikes. anyone want a snowflake eel. I'll wrap him up im brown paper and ship him anywhere. :roll: :D