New synthetic Hair product ... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers on the Fly
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers on the Fly Discuss fly fishing for Striped Bass here. Fly tying, tips, tricks, reports, etc. Everything fly!

Old 07-28-2008, 01:25 AM
Official Member

Default New synthetic Hair product ...

Found a product that can be used as any hair or even Bucktail is used..beauty supply houses carry Synthetic hair that women weave with their own hair...Called KaneKalon or RastAfri...Comes in a 24" x4" pack for $3 each...Unbelievable colors..even chartruese yellow & green... Go with a friend & split packs & costs...Packs are big..Different stores may carry different products & colors will vary..Some are brighter whites etc...Don't get these confused with natural hair which runs at $100 each...Call ahead at supply houses for these products & prices....Great product & cheap....Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Pro Staff

Default Re: New synthetic Hair product ...

Interesting find! When I first read the title I thought you'd found something for those of us with bald spots that are gradually taking up more and more of our scalps.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Official Member

Believe me I could use it....Can't find a color match though...And now I've got tons down in the tying cave..Just found it on "Kanekalon Synthetic Hair" search under Amazon .com =$2.49 ea....But best to see colors in person at shops...Great stuff......Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Fly fishin' geek

oh great, Like I don't already have mountains of tying supplies lying around the house, now I need to go buy more....... and of course I will.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Official Member

You get so much per package , that I split it up & use Nylon quick-tyes to package it...Then share with a friend,,,Jim
Old 08-04-2008, 01:16 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

would like to see something tied with it. post a pic.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Official Member

ZIMNO1......would love to post pics , but i have the IQ of a potato...Just got on computers last year & still learning...My brainey son lives in San Diego & visits enough to straighten out the mistakes I've made during the year...I'll see if he can show me soon...As it is, a picture is worth a thousand words & i'm a slow one finger typer ...........Potato Jim
Old 08-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Attached Images

Old 08-06-2008, 03:51 AM
Official Member

Pictures real close , but I don't have a mustache...Jim....................... PS..Material on the way..
Old 08-15-2008, 02:13 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

pm me when you are going on vacaction. i wanna put some fly;s in your bag for the trip.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

jim, if i am not mistaken i saw dave skok use this stuff a while back tying really big fly's. i just finished a bunker fly (my first attempt and the eyes are too big "but i am drawn to using huge eyes in everything") i actually put it in my neices cotton candy machine lol

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bunker fly.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	7694  
Old 09-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Official Member

Zimno...Glad you like the material..Really a good inexpensive product..I'm still checking different shops that carry different hair brands, as the colors vary from each other.. I like the flies you sent especially the Hi-ties..A little softex helps to form the shape...I think your 12" bunker would really tax my casting..I make thema little smaller.. But I agree with .you on large eyes...I use them on all my lures also.. As they say in politics.."the ayes have it"...I'm still looking for a product to replace Krystal Flash & I'll pass that on to you guys....Jim
Old 09-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

that was the first attempt with that material. i will get it to work with some doing. i use a spey rod so i can cast to the bunker blitz in some cases. i need to weigh the fly in the rear better, as the popper head and epoxied eyes carry the same weight as the rear hook with the lead epoxy on it;s keel. i wanted a popper to have the fly visible on top as all i really like to do is get em on top. off the boat the big fly's are sick. you can make them smaller but sometimes the fish just do not seem to be readily attracted to anything of any other size in a blitz situation.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:44 AM
Official Member

I just picked up a Loomis 11'3" beach rod..Saw a guy casting at a local beach & fell in love with the possibilities of this rod..It's a 2 handed rod that can handle 5-6" flies & no problems..Just got to get used to the line handeling..Hopefully with my bad knees & little wading now, that this might make a possitive in distance for me.. I think I'll make a few larger flies in the hopes my casting improves by Sept.. We've got the Golden Gate Casting Club in San Francisco Park , which is beautiful & a pleasure to cast & try out new Rods , lines , flies etc..My cousin RIP , Jon Tarintino was the national champ for about 8 yrs & the world overall champ for 12 years prior to his death..Then along came Steve Rajeff who continues to this day to win every year..The tradition is unbelievable.. I'll add a site which shows some of the club & area...Jim http://www.ggacc.org/
Old 09-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

wow jim! you are like friggen royalty> i read in midcurrent he was mentioned in the movie (lost world of mr.hardy film) anyway here is the trailer (of which i have not "believe it or not" seen as of yet)
http://www.thelostworldofmrhardy.com/trailer.htm