Best bang for your buck on saltwater spinning reels? - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Lounge
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Lounge Off-topic discussion here. Non-fishing related chit chat & banter. No Divisive subject matter - No Viscious Political and Religious debates please.

Old 03-24-2005, 05:41 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Advising some one on rod and reel is like advising someone on picking a wife! Pretty reel, like a pretty girl...not always a good deal, but I sure do like my Penns,I'm running a few slammer series now and like them alot, ,i also have a half dozen Shimano's that are decent reels,both conventional and spinning,My TLD 25's see alot of work for both cod and haddock and I also use them for fishing offshore with Mac's under a ballon,just in case Charlie T comes along,after the last 113 H disinergrated i went to those to give myself a fighting chance.
I was a Shakesphere man for years,but once they wore out and parts got hard to find(Even Kay was at a loss for replacements) I went to Penns.
I replaced two of my spinners with Shimano Thunnus series reels last season,they are an upscale bait runner with 5 ball bearings,increadably smooth., as i recall I paid about $240 each.
I also have a 4 Okuma's ,2 CN 30's that I use liveling Herring and Mac's in the river,and a pair of CN 50'W's that have caught a fair amount of school tuna.
Okuma reels may just be the bang for the buck,they seem to hold up well(at leat under the abuse I give them) and are cheap enough to toss if they do crap out....If i provide gear to a greenhorn...they get the Okuma's
My opinion, and as always...i could be wrong.
Roccus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2005, 05:42 PM

I got a Bill Dance spinnin' rod for largies...I love it...wicked nice action, with tons of sensitivity, I can feel my senko scraping bottom in the handle... :D
Old 03-25-2005, 09:15 AM
Lunker

Anybody using conventional? I'm a big fan of the ABU Ambassadeur's. Now there's a lot of bang for the buck. I tried some other top of the line reels like the Penn Int'l 975's but to be honest, I think the cheaper ABU's perform better with regular maintenance. These are obviously strickly plugging and chunking reels. Not so much for trolling. I've got a couple of 7000BG, 6500BG, and 5600C3 that all see a lot of use.
I would like to try an AVET SX 5.1 this year
For spinning reels, I don't use the Penns anymore. After many disappointments with a couple of the SS reels I had, I would be hard pressed to go back. The Slammers do look tempting though. Now that Penn is closing their factory and moving manufacturing operations overseas, there will undoubtedly be a questionable transition period.
I think for under $100, the Okuma's and Shimano Spheros and Diawa BG's are the best bang.
$100 and up, I'd say Baitrunners, Stradic's, Quantum.
$200 and up, I like my Fin-Nor Ahab (heavy, but great drag system).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2005, 01:08 PM

For spinners, the 704Z has never let me down yet. and it got more abuse than hedda nussbaum. :shock: :D
Old 03-25-2005, 04:23 PM

oops, took the reel out of the box and the spare spool had a nick in the lip, took it back to Kittery Trading Post to get another one. They had 6 more in stock and guess what, they all had nicks in the lip of the spare spool. Browsed around and decided on the Quantum Catalyst PTS40. For another $30 I got the extra salt protection. Stopped ovah at Dicks and got 12# mono and 20# Fireline to try out on it. Figure I'm gonna put Power Pro 30# on the bigger setup so this will give me the opportunity to test em both out
Old 03-29-2005, 01:57 AM

First, I have to stand up in front of the room and say "Yes, I'm a reel junkie and I need professional help".

That being said I can say that IMHO, very very few high quality, long lasting (tough), affordable price, easy and low maintenance SPINNING reels have been built overseas since the early model Dam Quick 550 and the Cracks. The stuff coming out of the orient these days is designed to be thrown away after a few seasons. The Ticas and Okumas are prone to rot especially around the foot under the reel seat hoods and won't last if you catch a lot of fish over 20 (I watched a Tica Taurus literally explode last season on a friends boat after a dozen or so 20 - 25# fish). The Quantum Cabo is very bling bling however my only experience with it was with a buddy who had his antireverse fail the first trip out. We all know about the Nautil - good for two or three years of heavy fishing then the gears go. The thing that all these reels have in common is a zillion ball bearings. What this really means is that they now have that many more things to go wrong and that many more things to wear out. A spinning reel needs 3 ball bearings (4 tops), one for each end of the main shaft, and one at the handle - Any more are there to catch the fishermen and just contibute to that grinding feeling that develops after a few seasons as the bearings break down and bind.

US made you have the VS, a great reel but the price point and the factory service only routine is not for me and is the reason I sold mine. The Penn SS reels had their day but they are not of the quality they used to be. My 650 (metal sideplate) is still going strong after 25 years but the new ones seem to be breaking down fairly often.

For the most part I firmly believe that the best and toughest reels were made in the '60s and '70s, in particular the Penn Greenie/Z Spinfisher series and the old Mitchell PUMs. Of those the Greenie 704 manual conversion and the 396 PUM are by far my favorites. Dunk em, grind the sand out of them, leave em in the truck all year, never clean em ....... and they still work. My Mitchells and Greenies will last until I will them away on my deathbed to my grandkids and greatgrandkids.

The only post 1980 foreign made spinning reel I've liked is the Daiwa ss Whisker series, the 2600 in particular. I had a ss1600 that I abused for 10 years before I finally had to send it in for a complete rebuild. Best thing about them is the drag, huge washers for the spool size and butter smooth. The bad part is that unlike my old 60's and 70's gear I actually have to make an effort to keep these somewhat clean or they will develop rot and sand will get in and make them start to grind.

Conventional is a whole nuther story. Abu, Accurate, Avet, Penn Squiddah, Daiwa Millionare, Shimano Calcutta....................... Lots of good reels to choose from and some at very reasonable prices - Avet SX for example. :D
Old 03-29-2005, 02:10 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Thats why I buy (for the most part) the "cheapy" reels that are undah 100 smackers. I love the drag in my Okuma Avenger AV50, wouidnt give it up for the world. Perfect light to medium power chunkin' and pluggin reel. Only lasts me 2 good seasons, maybe 3, then they are either blown into pieces, or used as part of "utility" setups, for instance when I take someone fishing who doesnt have anything to use lol.

Tica's are my new love, cheap, great drags, great fer jiggin'....and when they break, snap, blow up.....I wont be bothered, cuz I'll just buy another one in a few years to replace it.

I dont know, I've just never been the type to get upset when something breaks.....I fully expect it. Hope for the best, expect the worst. Maybe its because I fish very, very hard, and I am constantly pounding my gear, pretty much everyday during the season. So I can understand the failures of equipment when being pummeled in this manner.

I rarely spend over a 100 bux for a reel, but I have been known to do it. Sometimes I like to splurge on the new hot reel that is out, so I can take it out and hammersmash it 55 different ways, just to see how it holds up.

Maybe I'm getting to that point......I think I see a Van Zebco in my future lol.

Old 03-29-2005, 06:18 AM
Lunker

Like Sudsy was saying..........reels with a bazillion bearings are generally compensating for other shortcomings. Like a weak case for example. The extra bearings probably make up for flexing in the case. Just more to go wrong IMO. There's absolutly a market for all price range reels. Get the best you can afford with the understanding that with most (not all) you're getting what you pay for. There are still some that seem to be a fairly good balance between price and quality.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:24 AM

Maybe i just got a good batch of reels....maybe i just got lucky.....but my Penn 9500ss & 8500ss.couldn't be working any better and like i've said a million times, "if a reel can take MY abuse, its the reel for me". Maybe its because i religiously take them apart and do the maintanence myself or the fact that i clean them with q-tips and baby tooth brushes, who knows, but they're all like brand new.especially my 9500ss...like i said, all my reels get broken down in the winter.....when i took the 9500ss apart, there was just the hint of sand and all my lube was still where it should be......My slammer was completely dry inside and i was making sandcastles out of what was in my 8500ss. so who knows......i definetly stand by my Penns because they will be out there fishing once again this season. No slipping, no breaking...

Like sudsy was saying.......the conventionals are a totally different story....I have 3 from the early 60's that all work like they just came out of the box. a month ago i noticed a broken part on one of my old Penn Conv......i actually had the part in my old stock draw........

My name is Craig.........and i'm a reel junkie.

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)
Old 03-29-2005, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Bolt
I dont know, I've just never been the type to get upset when something breaks.....I fully expect it.
Wait til it happens with a large on the other end of your line - I'd love to see a video of you "not" getting upset
Old 03-29-2005, 02:18 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Oh ya, thats already happened lol. Down on tha Parker River in Newbury, MA. Hooked up HUGE while jiggin a rockpile across from the dock I was on. Friggin reel was smokin'! I blew it clear off tha rod LMFAO. Came right out of the reel seat, into tha watah, and around tha dock it went Fish broke off, and I pulled my bashed in Okuma off tha bottom. It was all torn up. It was a big fish though, probably in the 35-40 lb. range. I was usin a medium rod with fast action, and the fish had the rod BOWED right at that top of the cork LOL. Thought she was gun give way hahaa. Tiiiiiiiimberrrrrrrrrr :D

Nevah seen a reel go that fast through tha watah LMAO. I was pissed, but oh well. Gotta laugh about it.

Old 03-29-2005, 05:41 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

and all this time i thought it was the seals i heard moanin in the parker riva mahsh,but,now I see it was a Bolt commin loose LOL. Thats another stompin ground O' mine!

But seriously,I've had excellent luck with the Okuma's, although all have been conventional I've never owned any of their spinners.

Alot of people seem to like the Quantums, I destroyed two of them in a seasons fishing.... the stud that holds the antireverse snapped off on both of them,of coarse on big fish,I landed one the other one is still laughing dragging 50 yds of line ( I promptly gave the reel a vikings funeral!)
Old 03-29-2005, 07:52 PM

I jus' got an Okuma Avenger AV-80, and i wont be too mad if somthing happened to it. I dont really fish it alot though :?, since i live kinda far from the beach, so i hope it last a year or two and then i might get the penn 9500ss i hear great things about them.

Jonny that must have sucked :shock:
Old 03-29-2005, 10:27 PM

Quote:
,but,now I see it was a Bolt commin loose LOL.
LMFAO

and here's hoping I get better results with my Quantum's, I guess that's what they have a warranty for.........
Old 03-29-2005, 11:28 PM

Conventional Penn 525 mag. 130-149. I have put this reel thru the ringer. Very hot reel out of the box, maybe not the best choice for an un- educated thumb but with practice you can master it. I can achieve great distances while throwing plugs or metal on a 10ft medium action rod. I also find this to be my favortie trolling reel on the kayak. 6:1 to pick up line fast when monster bass make a charge back to the kayak.

3 years and counting with the first. Easy to take apart and clean. Overhauled at Buckos this offseason for 50 bucks and ready for another 3 seasons.