Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

fishing report- (sort of)

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  scone 
#1 ·
met gunny this a.m. at one rhody's south county hot spots. i got there first
at 3.45 am and was greeted with wheelin birds and small bait all over the surface. gunny pulled in about a half hour later (brian was going to make the trip but opted for some much needed beauty sleep in stead-LOL) we worked
plugs in a back water area and although Gunny was surrounded with feeding fish (schoolies) our stuff was too big and not to their liking. just before day break we hit the beach and threw everything but the kitchen sink without any takers. i wouldn't say we worked it hard well, cause our gunny's gettin old
(and old school- more on that later) but we gave it a good effort. started working the rocks next to one of rhody's famous breachways with a white sluggo and bang! fish on. now i'd like to describe this in the classic way, you know, solid hit and hook-up, a couple of drag screamin runs, rods near doubled over in the give and take battle and of course a tired fish dragged up the beach. i'd like to and it would all be true- IF THE BITCH HAD NOT BROKE ME OFF IN THE ROCKS. just couldn't turn it. i think the biggest fish i've hooked this season.damn.
well it was still what fishing always is- a great way to spend a quiet sunday morning, with friends it's even better.
birds working, waves breaking, the sunrise.... oh i gotta mention how great
our jimmi4290's plugs cast, especially when untethered to line or rod. yup
them suckers sail- and if your interested in air mailing a plug to england
all you need to do is put an old (school) 704 on your rod throw on four ounces
of alaskan cedar and wait for the bail to close and bingo, you've launched a scud at our cross atlantic friends. (sorry gunny)
ok- i'd like to get serious now-aw the hell with that. best morning of fishing i've had in quite a while! til next time

See less See more
#3 ·
IF THE BITCH HAD NOT BROKE ME OFF IN THE ROCKS. just couldn't turn it.
Boy have we all been there a few times. :whistle:
Theres one spot where I use 65 pound braid and 60# leaders. Its a PIA to get to without turning an ankle.
I lost one that nearly pulled the rod out of my hands with the head shakes.

#4 ·
Sorry I wasn't able to wake up in time... I knew I shoulda just slept in Gunnys driveway... Next time thats what I'll do... Really woulda liked to join ya. Did you say The Gunnys getting old? I don't believe it, The guys like 100 steps ahead of me everytime we go out... Maybe Im just really outta shape :wink1:
I'll get there next time thats for sure.

BryanL

#5 ·
bryan-just bustin chops-we missed ya but it's cool. actually gunny's younger than i am but what the hell. i'm good in the a.m. at nite-not so good.that's what it's like to get old.when i'm rested get the hell out of the way-the rest of the time just leave me a trail to follow i'll catch up.
striperjim- i had just downsized my leader- probably didn't matter i think the reef got me- the leader had a curly tail where it broke- like it had been dragged- just like them little bows my wife makes on christmas present.
now it's time to upsize= 30 to 50# on the braid and 25# on the floro leader.

#6 ·
Were there any Fly fishermen at the pond?
Ken Abram (Striper Moon) crowd work that area quite a bit with fly gear..
Mostly early evening(?) but I've meet them in the morning from time to time.
Gunny-
Ever get to the "Rock" spot you mentioned? Was wondering how you'd make out there. They have security until Labor Day-ish and they try to keep a tight lid on it. Very late night, real early morning you can get away with it if you're quiet. Best to be gone by daylight though. I tried hooking up with you but didn't work out (obviously).

*Major point of interest-
Things have cleared out fairly well over last weekend. Seems many of the school systems have opened before Labor Day weekend this year. The local percentage of tourist has dropped very considerably this week. Weekend will probably still be active,,,, but after that it's Fall fishing season type atmosphere.
It'll only get better from here. icn___clap.gif

#7 ·
float, there were more fly guys in the pond than fish i think. didn't go down to
the rocks- last time i went down there there was a locked gate- don't remeber seein that last year. two weeks and everything will be wide open
access wise and the fishing should be noticeably better shortly there after.
plenty of blues around if you like that sort of thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.