Aerator Question - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Official member

Default Aerator Question

Heading to Maine July 11. I have a battery powered bait aerator, but it doesn't seem to put out enought O2 for larger baitfish. I have an aquarium pump that is mich larger and puts out 5 times the amount of O2 but needs a plug. I am wondering if anyone has ever cut the plug off and put alligator clips on to attach to a 6volt lantern battery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Aerator Question

That's an idea to use the house aquarium pump but Im sure it runs on a 120Volt system,if you cut the cord and adapt it to a cig lighter then plug it in,you'll cook it.
What you can do is go to Radio Shack or Wal-Mart ect. and buy a plug in converter it transforms/steps up power from 12 Volt's to 120 volt's by doing this you can run a lap top,circ saw,t.v. all kinds of stuff simply by your cig lighter or power outlet in your truck,car or what ever.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Official member

Thanks for the tip. That will work when I have the truck nearby, but most of the places that I fish are a long way from the road. This is why I was thinking a battery. I've never used a power invertor. Can it run without that aid of anything else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter25 View Post
I've never used a power invertor. Can it run without that aid of anything else?
No, it needs to be hooked up to a 12v battery. I have one in my truck that I use for charging the laptop when on the road, or brewing a pot of coffee between fishing spots. An aquarium pump would run for quite a while on a fully charged deep cycle marine battery.

That said, it sounds like you're talking about using an aerator on a bait bucket that you carry with you while walking the shoreline, so this would not be feasible for you. What kind of bait fish are you trying to keep alive in a small bucket? Even if you keep the water aerated, that's only going to help a little bit. Ammonia and contaminant build up in the water will probably kill off any decent sized bait fish long before they would run out of oxygen. And if you're doing water changes frequently enough to keep that from happening you don't need an aerator anyway.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:50 AM
Official member

You're exactly right. 5 gallon bucket with mackerals in it. I try to stay away from other people because I know that it is there spot so I have to hike it a little bit. This is fine with me. Everyone I have met are very nice but I respect them and their spots as a visitor.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:34 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

A 120 volt A/C aquarium pump WILL NOT RUN ON 12 D/C.... converters for lap tops and cell phones run on milliamps...a diaphram pump needs whole amps to run...

They do make a 12Volt diaphram pumps that work nicely... there are also a host of other infusion type areators that are well suited for salt water baits...

Forget about keeping mackerel alive in a 5 gallon bucket... they will die almost instantly.. they must swim constantly to remain alive... an oval or round container ( cooler with rounded waxed cardboard inserts works well) is the only way to keep them alive for any extended time period...
Old 06-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
A 120 volt A/C aquarium pump WILL NOT RUN ON 12 D/C.... converters for lap tops and cell phones run on milliamps...a diaphram pump needs whole amps to run...
Both statements are true, you're right.

But a 120v A/C aquarium pump will run on a 12v D/C - 120v A/C power inverter that is rated for more amperage than the pump requires.

An inverter like what I have in my truck, and was suggesting would be suitable for powering his pump, is rated to 6.5amps. I'm sorry, I should have mentioned to check the amperage rating of the inverter compared to the draw of the pump.

Anyway, it's beside the point, since it won't keep his bait alive anyway.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Official member

OK, I guess that solves my nightmare. Any thoughts on keeping it alive?
Old 06-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Young salt

Quote:
OK, I guess that solves my nightmare. Any thoughts on keeping it alive?

Yes, every 25 feet hat you walk, stop, put your face right in the bucket and blow bubbles til ya run out of breath. The transfer of oxygen from your lungs to the water will keep the fish alive for the duration of your trip......or at the very least keep them (and myself) mildly entertained . Just bustin balls man, keep on keepin on

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 06-18-2009, 04:10 PM
First Mate

I would switch bait.

Eels don't need much to stay alive for an evening and I've heard that stripers like them...

Good luck
Old 06-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Official member

If I wasn't having such a lousy day at work, I probably would have been able to come up with something whitty, but I'm actually am laughing. You got me there.....
Old 06-19-2009, 08:28 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitrunner View Post
Both statements are true, you're right.

But a 120v A/C aquarium pump will run on a 12v D/C - 120v A/C power inverter that is rated for more amperage than the pump requires.

An inverter like what I have in my truck, and was suggesting would be suitable for powering his pump, is rated to 6.5amps. I'm sorry, I should have mentioned to check the amperage rating of the inverter compared to the draw of the pump.

Anyway, it's beside the point, since it won't keep his bait alive anyway.
Yes it will work ONLY if they buy a true power inverter( the hard wired one in my truck will run a table saw) and not a transformer... if they buy an inverter, there is no need to cut or splice the ends of the pump. it will simply plug into the outlet... on the other hand.. just buy a 12 volt air pump, I have a duel outlett 12 V DC pump that i use to keep bait alive while pike/ice fishing..it works awesome... true power inverters use alot of energy and can kill a battery quickly... a hi amp alternator and dual battery system is a must if your going to use one alot... but the plug in ones dont put out alot of amperage and are best left for toys like cell phones and lap tops.

If you make the round outs in the corners of waxed card board like I stated earlier, you will be able to keep a few baits alive for awhile. providing you give them a few bubbles..

tight lines
Roc.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Official member

I'm just surious, what does the wax-cardboard do?
Old 06-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
I'm just surious, what does the wax-cardboard do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
they must swim constantly to remain alive... an oval or round container ( cooler with rounded waxed cardboard inserts works well)is the only way to keep them alive for any extended time period...
Old 06-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Official Member

Wink Re: Aerator Question

An aquarium aerator does not require many watts so a small dc to 120 AC inverter will work. If you have one of those portable jumpstart battery units you can run it off that like I do.