Black Falcon - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 04-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Black Falcon

anybody have any tips/advice for fishing at Black Falcon in South Boston?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Young salt

Default Re: Black Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar23617 View Post
anybody have any tips/advice for fishing at Black Falcon in South Boston?

Not too familiar with the area man. What are we talking here beach? River? Jetty? Other? This early in the season throw out either sandworms, chunk herring/mackerel or artificials that resemble these baits. Switch over to live eels and clam as the season progresses.

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 04-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Striper Hunter

thanks for the advice, im pretty sure that it is pretty close to logan airport and since this is my first time with my friend im going to bring a few different choices right now im looking to bring mackerel,sandworms and then maybe sum artificial eels to throw, going next week so ill let everyone know how it goes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Banned

I haven't really fished there this early in the season. Its a mostly bait spot. The only good advise that I can offer is you don't need to cast out far most times. Right at the edge at high tide is over 30ft deep and there are pilings that go underneath where your standing. You might notice a few people just drop bait straight down. That has worked for me in the past...
Old 04-29-2009, 11:14 PM
Striper Hunter

thanks guys appreciate all the tips, not expecting too much since this will be my first time ever going out for stripers but if i got 1 it would be pretty sweet, cant wait to get more into tho and try out the different spots in boston and neighboring areas this is going to be a good summer
Old 04-30-2009, 01:02 AM
First Mate

Yeah what Jon said. I go there all the time. I use mackrel most of the time there.

Both sides of are fine but most guys like fishing the left side. If you're facing the water. No rhyme or reason. Both sides are damn deep.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:12 AM

Hello:

I work in the building next to the Black Falcon building... that long one with the Design Center in it... straight across the road from the drydock. I've seen people fishing there but never paid any attention. This is going to be my first season fishing since I was a kid and I've started out here in Hingham where I live.

Maybe I should just toss a line in after work sometime!!!

Please post back and let us know if/what you catch there. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Banned

Yeah that area is not the best of spots but in the early spring and fall that is the main route for the striped bass and blues entering and exiting the harbor. You can expect to catch stripers and blues there. Some guys have mentioned cod in the winter but ive never attempted that.

I only go to that spot once or twice in the fall to search for busting schools however in the spring there are some pretty large mack schools that swim in that area so its sometimes a good idea to go throw a pencil popper.

Most use bait though...almost to a fault....the place can get pretty packed at times but there is a decent chance at a big fish...

Regarding the request for tips....just get mackeral cast it out and wait. Its that simple....oh some people will also throw clams....oh and bring ear plugs because depending on the wind direction there's a pretty good chance of having huge jets flying right over your head the whole time your there. Its loud as hell at times!
Old 04-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Striper Hunter

thanks for all the help guys really appreciate it, im going there tuesday night so ill post back and let everyone know how it goes. So if there are going to be some blues around i should probably get some wire rigs so theres not a chance they bite straight through the line. Gunna bring some mackerel and sandworms so we will see how it goes.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:25 AM
swabbie

I'd be surprised if there are any blues this early in the season or any large bass for that matter. The water is still too cold but you never know. Try some mackeral jigs and see if you can get some live/fresh bait. Using chum/menhaden oil could likely draw macks your way if the current isn't too strong. I heard Cod are in the harbor - you might want to put a high low rig off the botton with some clam and see if any are around.

Let us know how you did.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Striper Hunter

i read on some of the other forums that at night its smarter to fishing closer to surface is that true, or should i use weights and drop it down to the bottom and have it off the bottom by a few feet?
Old 04-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Young salt

Quote:
i read on some of the other forums that at night its smarter to fishing closer to surface is that true, or should i use weights and drop it down to the bottom and have it off the bottom by a few feet?

Leave the mackerel chunks on the bottom, no sense flaoting those if ya ask me. If the current isn't too storng (and again I dont know that area) I've had really good luck floating sandworms (bloodworms will work too of course, but not worth the extra $2-$4 a dozen) off bottom, rigged two at a time. Buy yourself a package of styrafoam floats and a package of beads and u can make your own floats for pennies on the dollar compared to what they bend ya over for them in the stores. Tie your hook onto your leader, then tie a regular overhand knot a few inches up from that. Slide a bead down ur line, then a styrafoam float followed by another bead and another overhand knot. Pull both of your overhand knots "relatively tight" making sure that the both ends of the float are tight in place against the beads. Put a dab of Gorilla glue on each knot to secure it in place and you won't have a problem. THEN, take a 5/0 or 6/0 circle hook and feed the worms on two at a time. First one, go in thru the head, feed a couple inches onto the hook then pull thru leaving the majority to dangle. Take ur 2nd worm, staring from roughly the same spot the hook exited ur first worm and feed it thru the back (like ur hanging it on a hanger almost).....with the hook coming out right out the head between the pinchers. Two worms dangling in unison in the surf proves to be irresistable to passing stripers, and with a circle hook, most of the time, they'll hook themselves as they try to run off with your bait. Good luck man, now go get 'em.

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 04-30-2009, 02:02 PM
swabbie

Quote:
Well that's especially true at dusk and dawn for stripers. They don't have eyelids so the sun drives them down during the day. I've caught them all through the water line at night but on Boston I've had better luck at night deeper (I fish from a boat though and never fished the Falcon). During the day, most of my catches are near the bottom. On a very cloudy day they can sometimes be near the surface during the day.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Official Member

where in the world would you guys park? I visited the Boston Design Center during the winter and didn't realize the Black Falcon terminal was next to it. Didn't see any parking except for the paid parking garage next to it...
Looks like you'd need a bridge net to land anything too..
Old 05-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Striper Hunter

Went to Black Falcon last night got nothing got a few nibbles but didnt catch anything but probably a cold since it was freezing and the wind was blowing in our faces all night, eh oh well gunna try again next week on a nice warm night. Hopefully next week there will be some fish coming in, read about in New York so there coming just gotta wait it out. After a night of being cold catching the first one of my life is def going to make it that much better when i do!