Pogies in Boston Harbor? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-02-2009, 12:05 PM
swabbie

Default Pogies in Boston Harbor?

Hey guys!

Anyone seen any pogies (menhaden) in Boston Harbor yet? I'm going out in my boat on Thursday and would live to live line a few. If not I'll probably try and fine some macks.

Went out on 5/25 for flounder and they are definetly in the harbor. Not in full force yet but a decent pick at the usual spot around the "flounder fleet".

Last edited by JakeF; 06-02-2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Lunker

Default Re: Pogies in Boston Harbor?

I heard they have been in for a while and are in all the usual spots as well as macks. I also heard about birds bass and bait on top anywhere in the main channel headed in from Deer Island light into the airport. WHen you go they could anywhere from Hull Gut down through Quincy Bay and over through Long Island into SOuthie. DO the loop and you should certainly spot the birds. The earlier the better

All the best and let me know how you made out.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonfisher View Post
Hey guys!

Anyone seen any pogies (menhaden) in Boston Harbor yet? I'm going out in my boat on Thursday and would live to live line a few. If not I'll probably try and fine some macks.

Went out on 5/25 for flounder and they are definetly in the harbor. Not in full force yet but a decent pick at the usual spot around the "flounder fleet".
10-4 on the pogies....saw them the last time I was up there....not in numbers though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009, 10:06 PM
swabbie

Went out this morning early. Worked the birds for a while - the bass under them were hard to get. One nice fish and a few small ones. Then we went out deeper and scored on a bunch of macks. Live lining them was the way to go and we did really well on the falling tide slow trolling them. Didn't see any pogies but the macks are out there pretty thick right now. Lets hope they stick around for while like last summer.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Banned

Nice work dude!!
Old 06-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Lunker

nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Bass Master

Report: 6/4-6/9 2009
Fly Fishing

Pogies have been schooling in and around the harbor consistently for the past 5 mornings. They have been a little tricky to find due to overcast skies and lack of birds. I have had some luck in and around spectacle and long island on the outgoing tide.

The skoolies have been striking well but The big boys have been reluctant to take anything but bait... its been tough to get them to really consistently strike my flies.

I have however seen a lot of very productive fishing from others using chunk baits and strung mackrel. Tide is a little rough for early mornings this week but if you can find the pogies breaking you're golden.

-OTF
Old 06-10-2009, 03:22 PM
swabbie

Thanks for the tip! I'll be on the lookout for them this weekend for sure. Haven't spotted any myself so far. Lots of macks out there and they continue to work great.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:46 PM

Question Re: Pogies in Boston Harbor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonfisher View Post
Thanks for the tip! I'll be on the lookout for them this weekend for sure. Haven't spotted any myself so far. Lots of macks out there and they continue to work great.
I was out flyfishing that area a few days last week. Good morning action finding birds on bait, but pretty much over by 8-9.
Strange thing was, Sat-Sun & Mon mornings, I found nothing in the same areas.
Where did it go?
Old 06-10-2009, 05:59 PM
swabbie

Thursday I found the fish under the birds early. It was hard to get them to hit our lures but my dad did get a keeper on a sluggo.

Maybe the tide moved them around this weekend? I was out mid morning on Sat/Sun going for macks so I didn't really mess around with the birds (and didn't see any at that time either). Sometimes they are in the same area but feeding deeper and you need to use the fish finder to locate them.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:44 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon006 View Post
10-4 on the pogies....saw them the last time I was up there....not in numbers though...

Because of the pogie blood boats that ran with spotter planes last year that went from CT- north of portland.