how do i get mackeral? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New Hampshire
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New Hampshire New Hampshire striped bass fishing discussion & reports

Old 07-29-2011, 08:42 PM
Striper Hunter

Default how do i get mackeral?

ok so im 14 and saving money for a 16-18 foot boat for stripers and blues maybe near the isles of shoals on a good day. the only problem is if i need mackeral or baitfish. idk where to go. ive been on big boats that find them and we catch them but if im staying in the merrimack river and not going out the mouth, how do i get the bait?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2011, 09:27 AM
Pro Staff

Default Re: how do i get mackeral?

Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to find mackeral IN the river most of the time. They can't tolerate the lower salinity, and so will stay out front, outside the mouth of the river. If you're planning to stay inside the river, I'd recommend fishing live eels, plugs/jigs, or cut bait. Occasionally you'll find bunker in the river, so keep a snag hook handy just in case
Old 07-30-2011, 04:43 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to find mackeral IN the river most of the time. They can't tolerate the lower salinity, and so will stay out front, outside the mouth of the river. If you're planning to stay inside the river, I'd recommend fishing live eels, plugs/jigs, or cut bait. Occasionally you'll find bunker in the river, so keep a snag hook handy just in case
ok sounds good. btw how do u use a snag hook?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2011, 08:06 AM
Pro Staff

A snag hook is basically a weighted treble, like this:

Cast it out into a school of bunker or other bait fish, take up the slack quickly and then sweep the rod back fast, repeat. Bunker are filter feeders, so they won't intentionally bite a lure or bait. Snagging a few is pretty easy when you find a school of them.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:48 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
A snag hook is basically a weighted treble, like this:

Cast it out into a school of bunker or other bait fish, take up the slack quickly and then sweep the rod back fast, repeat. Bunker are filter feeders, so they won't intentionally bite a lure or bait. Snagging a few is pretty easy when you find a school of them.
thanks. that actually pretty cool. i found a place in essexx river where i saw tons of herring or bunker of some sort. they were like 3-4 inches. might try a snag hook there.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:03 PM

If you live near Essex you are in striper heaven. Live mackerel are caught on chromed jigs just outside the river about a half mile off Crane's beach. You chum for them. Here's (Big) Shine Wilson's secret chum for mackerel. You bake several mackerel, freeze them and by them time you make it out the mouth of the river, and anchor off near the first buoy the baked mackerel are just about right for chumming. I've seen times when his boat(the Ronda Lee) was the only one among several catching mackerel; all cause of the baked mackerel he was chumming with. Just keep putting steady amounts of the stuff overboard, and the mackerel will make a beeline to your boat. We used to use a bamboo poles with about 10-20feet of line and a jig. The makerel will follow the line of chum right to your boat and start flashing all around you. Put the jig in the water and make small up and down jerking motions. You can buy a few mackerel at a grocery store to bake the first time. After that, you just keep some of what you catch to bake. To make a "Holy bucket" get a 5 gallon bucket and make numerous holes about the size of a quarter all around it. Secure a round wooden cover to it that has a small hole in the top.(just big enough to put a mackerel thru) that bucket goes over the side, and when you catch one, down he goes into the bucket. Once you get 7 or 8 in, transfer to a "Heathen (unholy)bucket" on board. Head back in to the place you expect to fish. Transfer the fish back to the "holy bucket", pop it overboard, and your ready to catch some stripers. Use a tandem rig with a 2/0 hook thru the dorsal fin and a #1 just in front of the tail. Good luck. .....................(Little) Shine
Old 08-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector2slow View Post
If you live near Essex you are in striper heaven. Live mackerel are caught on chromed jigs just outside the river about a half mile off Crane's beach. You chum for them. Here's (Big) Shine Wilson's secret chum for mackerel. You bake several mackerel, freeze them and by them time you make it out the mouth of the river, and anchor off near the first buoy the baked mackerel are just about right for chumming. I've seen times when his boat(the Ronda Lee) was the only one among several catching mackerel; all cause of the baked mackerel he was chumming with. Just keep putting steady amounts of the stuff overboard, and the mackerel will make a beeline to your boat. We used to use a bamboo poles with about 10-20feet of line and a jig. The makerel will follow the line of chum right to your boat and start flashing all around you. Put the jig in the water and make small up and down jerking motions. You can buy a few mackerel at a grocery store to bake the first time. After that, you just keep some of what you catch to bake. To make a "Holy bucket" get a 5 gallon bucket and make numerous holes about the size of a quarter all around it. Secure a round wooden cover to it that has a small hole in the top.(just big enough to put a mackerel thru) that bucket goes over the side, and when you catch one, down he goes into the bucket. Once you get 7 or 8 in, transfer to a "Heathen (unholy)bucket" on board. Head back in to the place you expect to fish. Transfer the fish back to the "holy bucket", pop it overboard, and your ready to catch some stripers. Use a tandem rig with a 2/0 hook thru the dorsal fin and a #1 just in front of the tail. Good luck. .....................(Little) Shine
thanks. i saw people catching mackeral there two weeks ago. i was on my friends 13 foot whalker. we were going to rockport then we went int he annisquam to get fuel. we saw a huge striper swimming around with its fin sorta outta the water. it was twice the size of my arm and was a fatty. i wish i had a rod but it was too rough to fish outta his boat
Old 08-15-2011, 12:12 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantumreel View Post
thanks. that actually pretty cool. i found a place in essexx river where i saw tons of herring or bunker of some sort. they were like 3-4 inches. might try a snag hook there.

you better learn to distinguish between the two,, it is against the law to snag or even possess river herring...