Ohio River Trip - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Ohio Stripers and Wipers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 03-26-2009, 04:02 PM
Official Member

Default Ohio River Trip

Cool , rainy and windy.Got my first Wipers this year today. Maybe the biggest was 4 lbs, but they felt really good pulling back Hopefully we've turned the corner around here now. They hit a Gizz4 and Storm wildeyes. One on a nightcrawler
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2009, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Ohio River Trip

I'm new to the area and I'm looking forward to catching some wipers. I live near East Fork, but I'm interesting in the Ohio River also. Where were you fishing when you caught these?
Old 03-27-2009, 03:30 AM
Official Member

I caught them at the Greenup dam tailwaters. Meldahl is close to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2009, 06:53 AM

I think I'm going to try to go out today...I can't make it out until after 11:00 AM. What kind of bait do you think will give me the best chances? I'm going to head over to Meldahl...
Old 03-27-2009, 07:35 AM
Official Member

Live Shad if you can find them will work. I used Swimbaits & crank baits. Nightcrawlers work too. They aren't too hard to please right now. Just fish SLOW...
Old 03-27-2009, 07:48 AM

Thank you sir. I will see if I can find any shad. Do you know of a bait shop near Meldahl? I'll post the results later tonight...
Old 03-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Official Member

I think there's a shop close but I don't fish there much enough to know. We always just net our own.. Good luck..
Old 03-30-2009, 02:17 PM

Went out Friday to Meldahl. Fished on the Ohio side (off the shore). This is the side with the lock. I don't know how much this affects the fishing, but there was a lot of barge traffic...

There was a place to buy bait in Point Pleasant. It was a carry out. I got some shinners. They were pretty small about 2~3 inches.

It was nearly 11AM when I finally got fishing. I lost a lot of tackle to snags. I had a fish on the line and then I got a snag and lost everything. I ended up catching a small saugeye and a 3 pound Wiper. I tried the Gizz4 with no luck.

I think next time I will try to go earlier and I think I'm going to try to get over to the KY side...not sure if it will make a difference or not. But I do know that there isn't really any tailwaters on the lock side. And if there are it's impossible to reach them from the shore.

Hey, do you have any suggestions on the best way to rig up for fishing with live bait from the shore? I have several different rods and reals. On Friday I was fishing with a real heavy rod and real and using 20 lb line. I typically used this pole for ocean fishing, but thought it would be good for getting my bait way out there. I think this setup worked pretty good. But the heavy weights were getting hung up on stuff. I also had a smaller pole with 8lb line, but you can only get out so far with that...what do you think?

Thanks Daveo76 for your suggestions. I'm still getting up the learning curve here.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Wiper Guru

Nice fish, Dave! I haven't seen any of those creatures yet this year. Still hoping.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Official Member

Thanks Slowretrieve. The water is way up now and the Whites have taken over for now.
Zspears, sounds like your equipment is fine but you need to cross the river and fish the Kentucky side.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:12 PM

I will try to fish the Kentucky side tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how that works out...unless the weather is bad....

UPDATE: Weather is going to be cold and wet in the morning, I think I'm going to pass for now.