Northern Aqueduct Fishing? - Page 24 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > California - Lakes, Rivers, Bay and Delta > California Aqueduct
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 08-29-2014, 04:15 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Northern Aqueduct Fishing?

fishing the fore bay I have only used bait with some success . my biggest from the forebay has been 27 incher on anchovies near the entrance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2014, 06:25 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnfield11 View Post
had a ton of bites from those little guys .
Same here. Went out today to the gates at Bethany, landed 10 14" Stripers, 1 12' Cat and 1 Large Mouth. Weds went to Westley caught 6 Stripers 3 20" and 3 about 14" and smaller.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:10 PM
First Mate

Finally ready to fish!!! Have been off the feet for three weeks due to health condition but ready to fish. My brother has caught a lot of small ones and one about 20 inches a couple of days ago using swim shad. The gates are hit or miss but the small ones are there in big numbers ,except small refers to really small. All those minnows that i could never catch appear to have been stripers. As they got bigger a silver streak started forming on their sides and they would attack a much larger lure .Hitting it for a little today and the river tomorrow ,good to be able to fish again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2014, 08:04 PM
Striper Hunter

Hey Barn, Glad ur back on ur feet. I've been out a few times a week, nothing to brag about, just the usual 16" and smaller. Got to hunt them out, few fish here and a few fish there. Haven't found a big school yet. I've been on both Ca Duct and the Mendota from Bethany to Westley. Haven't braved going further south. Welcome back
Old 09-18-2014, 12:06 AM
First Mate

Have been out a bit fishing. . Thursday the MEndota gates went wide open and the mud was coming up in plumes. Craziest water conditions I have ever seen.Friday just a solid mess of mud.weekend no fishing. Monday 2 bites in10 minutes. Tuesday the water was better and hit them hard at the shooting spot, 12 stripers in 20 minutes but none bigger than 16 inches.Today was much better with 7 stripers at17 inches and a crap load of 16 to 14 inches , fished for 2 hours today. Same old swim shad with a different retrieve and 6 pound line.. smaller line is sensitive but.missed a lot of fish because the line stretches too much.Respooling with 10 pound line for a stronger hook set.
They are biting hard just need to find the bigger ones.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:10 AM
First Mate

Once you give every fish at a set of gates a sore lip,try the corners .. most of today's bigger fish were at the bends in the canal.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:47 PM
Striper Hunter

Haven't been out as much lately. Went out on Sat evening. Found a nice school by the railroad tracks. Average fish was 17" Caught 12 in 20 mins. Going to try again soon
Old 09-18-2014, 11:20 PM
First Mate

Fished just down the road from work today ,fished for 30 minutes . Lost a big boy that looked a good 24 inches, tried pulling it up on . 6 pound line flipped around on the cement and swam away with the lure. . Landed 3 more that were around . 16 . Found my spool of 10 pound like and will load up on lures tomorrow. . Hitting bethany after work on the windscreen, fish or sail all depends on the wind.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:24 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDiamond View Post
Haven't been out as much lately. Went out on Sat evening. Found a nice school by the railroad tracks. Average fish was 17" Caught 12 in 20 mins. Going to try again soon
Sounds fun ,they have been hitting good at some spots that ha 've not been producing lately. . Good water flow and the bite picks up. . Went through 2 packs of lures, in the last week. The little ones rip the plastic to shreds.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:29 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnfield11 View Post
Sounds fun ,they have been hitting good at some spots that ha 've not been producing lately. . Good water flow and the bite picks up. . Went through 2 packs of lures, in the last week. The little ones rip the plastic to shreds.
Sounds like the fish are back from vacation. I've noticed the fish are getting bigger. going to head out this weekend.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:09 PM
Striper Hunter

IDK bout up north but in my area. Fish are feeding on these fish that are up in the top water. And are jumping out of the water eating these fish. Starts around 6:15 am and lasts about a good hr. Ranging from 22-29 in.

Been using LC 100 american shad, and yozuri 3D blue and silver 5 inch lure. Just bouht a new LC about 2 weeks ago and its already taken a beating from these bites will probably have to head back to fishermans warehouse in fresno this week for a new one.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:05 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimenez2013 View Post
IDK bout up north but in my area. Fish are feeding on these fish that are up in the top water. And are jumping out of the water eating these fish. Starts around 6:15 am and lasts about a good hr. Ranging from 22-29 in.
One Weekend that happened up here. Fish weren't quite as big 17" to 20" but they were jumping out of the water. A lot of fun when that happens. Went out today very slow at the gates Caught one 19" Striper, one 10" Big Mouth Bass and one small striper
Old 10-03-2014, 11:03 AM
First Mate

ok it's sad and freaky. Fished a few times after work this week and hit a lot of bass and stripers , a really good week of fishing. Found out today they pulled a body out of the canal 1/2 mile upstream from where I had done all my fishing during the last week . Apparently held in place by the set of gates.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:51 PM
First Mate

Hit the farm today in the middle of the heat. 4 stripers at 17 inches each in 1 hour . Hot as hell with no breeze and moderate water flow , caught 2 above and 2 below the gates on the swim shad. So my brother was out fishing saturday night , left at dark , turns out the guy went in the water around 9 pm , turns out the guy went missing at the same location that night apparently a huge party going on at the same time at a nearby house.. Brothers out fishing again sunday afternoon at the gates at tracy blvd , sheriff pulls up on him and ask him to keep an eye out for a body. Anyone else ever get weirded out when fishing the canal?
Old 10-06-2014, 06:18 PM
Striper Hunter

That is creepy. A couple of weeks ago, a water management guy told me that they pull bodies out of the canal several times a year. I went out yesterday, caught 2 stripers, nothing to brag about.