Northern Aqueduct Fishing? - Page 22 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > California - Lakes, Rivers, Bay and Delta > California Aqueduct
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 07-22-2014, 08:04 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Northern Aqueduct Fishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDiamond View Post
Way to many people out fishing this morning. Really crowded at the gates. Managed to catch 2 nice size ones. I'll try again during the week.
Went out today , started at noon and had 15 with the gates down at the same spot gates were down and no flow. Used the swim shad with a vertical twich off the bottom.finished at 2 pm when the sun broke through. There were 4 guys together on the other side that were catching on chicken livers.all fish were about 17 inchers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1273.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	21330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1274.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	21338  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 08:11 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by inrealtime View Post
I got to get back out there. I have been lmb fishing for the last few weeks & doing pretty well.
Your out of san mateo? Have you been fishing in the bay? Use to fish a lot around alameda for sharks and rays, not to eat but a hell of a lot to of fun to fight.Fishing the cali aquaduct the last couple of times for a really good bite, will have to hit the gates near work , its a hike but the mendota has stopped moving and looks full with moss all around.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:16 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimenez2013 View Post
Went out wed started a lil late in the morning. Didnt think id bag anything. Started with some LC in amer shad and ghost styles. Nothing. Had a couple bites on flukes. Stopped at gates and fished on the east side because thats the side that the bank was in the shade. Thought the fish would be in the cooler water. Caught one 18 1/2 fatboy. I kept it and ate it that night. Caught it on anchovie.

Talked to a duct worker that was parked. He said theyre cleaning the banks because theyre allowing farmers to pump theur water in the duct from the wells theyre digging to store. And then release it back to their fields when they need it. I noticed a big increase in water levels. Anybody have any success at night?
Which duct were you on when you talked to the worker? Today the mendota was dead still and full, even at the gates the water level was only about 6 inches difference. Great for big mouth bass but no stripers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 05:09 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnfield11 View Post
Which duct were you on when you talked to the worker? Today the mendota was dead still and full, even at the gates the water level was only about 6 inches difference. Great for big mouth bass but no stripers.
Ca duct.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:31 PM
Striper Hunter

Went out today just as the pumps were closing. Not much action. Caught 4 16" to !8". I guess I need to get there earlier
Old 07-24-2014, 10:09 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Your out of san mateo? Have you been fishing in the bay? Use to fish a lot around alameda for sharks and rays, not to eat but a hell of a lot to of fun to fight.Fishing the cali aquaduct the last couple of times for a really good bite, will have to hit the gates near work , its a hike but the mendota has stopped moving and looks full with moss all around.
Hardly fished the bay. Do try Pacifica & Ocean beach occasionally. Surf fishing is just so tough. Thats why I like to try up in Tracy, I may not catch much at times, but its more enjoyable.
Its too bad that you cant drive on the Ca Aqueduct like the Mendota.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:31 PM
Striper Hunter

Went out to the pumps at Bethany. Caught nothing but baby fish. 4 12" stripers, 1 12" cat , 1 10" Big mouth. Later in the evening went out on Lammers caught 3 15" stripers, better but nothing exciting.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:55 AM
Official Member

Went out to the CA duct out in Patterson for nothing. Was trying out my new lures (live target and Spro). There were others out using chicken liver. They said they haven't landed anything either. Far different from the previous weekend when stripers were hitting both cut bait and lures from what they said. Will try again next weekend. Hopefully with a different outcome. Still too warm to start chasing Kings.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:50 PM
First Mate

hit the farm yesterday at noon , hot and humid . Worked hard for 10 fish between 10 and 17 inches . gates down and slow flow .Actually used an old hair raiser from a few years ago , and caught the 17 inchers on it. the up side of the gates were dead ,not a single bite.Looking for a new fishing hole in the tracy area . I know of a set of gates with no foot prints , just trying to figure how to get out there. not easy to access .
Old 07-28-2014, 05:57 PM
Striper Hunter

Got up real early, before the sun came up. Went to the gates off Coral Hollow. All gates were open. Caught 2 16" Stripers. Kinda disappointing, I figure it was going to be a great day of fishing. Gates shut down and the bites and fish were gone. Caught 2 more on the way back to my truck.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:54 PM
Striper Hunter

Went out this morning got to the gates right as the sun was coming up. 2 gates were fully open. I took Barn"s advise and fished with 2 poles. I used anchovies on one while I was plugging with the other. Pretty good day of fishing. I baited the first pole, casted out and the minute it hit the water "Fish On". Caught a real fat 20", re-baited and casted out again, Boom another hit 19" one. Couldn't even get a chance to use the other pole. all in all caught 8 in a hour. Now that's the kind of fishing I like
Old 07-30-2014, 11:36 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Went out this morning got to the gates right as the sun was coming up. 2 gates were fully open. I took Barn"s advise and fished with 2 poles. I used anchovies on one while I was plugging with the other. Pretty good day of fishing. I baited the first pole, casted out and the minute it hit the water "Fish On". Caught a real fat 20", re-baited and casted out again, Boom another hit 19" one. Couldn't even get a chance to use the other pole. all in all caught 8 in a hour. Now that's the kind of fishing I like
Cool deal, sometimes one method beats the other hands down . Tried a new minnow trap with no success. Anyone have a prefered bait to put in the trap, have been using french bread since it works in lake tahoe but no luck in the ducts.There are a lot of minnows in both ducts.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:54 PM
First Mate

Quote:
What gates are you hitting on corral hollow? Pm me . Have not fished much in the last couple of weeks , so much going on at home , but will get out tomorrow to a new set of gates That can not be seen from the road, hell I have fished on both side of them and never knew they were there.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:29 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Cool deal, sometimes one method beats the other hands down . Tried a new minnow trap with no success. Anyone have a prefered bait to put in the trap.
Maybe get a small can of fish food from Walmart, punch a few holes in it. That might work.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:58 AM
Official Member

Maybe try the minnow traps up at the California Duct side. I've seen tons of minnows on that side. Just a thought...
Went fishing in and around Santa Cruz wharf yesterday. Lotsa baitball fish. Landed only palm sized halibut, rockfish and perch. Fished for an hour.