Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Stripers Forever Hudson River Action alert

5K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  DarkSkies 
#1 ·
Thiis is for all the NY residents. Anyone else who reads this, feel free to comment and participate, or not.

Here's the breakdown of the bill as I understand it:
1. Commercial shad netters in the Hudson River catch striped bass as bycatch as they net shad.
2. The shad runs have diminished, and now gillnetters are asking to be allowed to catch and sell striped bass.
3. Since the Hudson is the 2nd largest spawning ground of striped bass, it's probably not a great idea to let commercial netters net those bass.
4. Whether you fully support Stripers Forever or not, a move to restrict catches in spawning areas is a good one. The Gov't of Maryland has made similar moves to restrict catches in spawning areas. That proves that this kind of legislation is recognized as beneficial, and necesssary.
5. In the past I have tried to present both sides of the story when covering Stripers Forever. In this instance, I am in full agreement with the Hudson River legislation and will get on board to support it.

The bill has passed the NY Assembly and is being brought up for a vote in the NY Senate on Feb 23, 2010

See less See more
#2 ·
Communication from Stripers Forever
For anyone who has more questions, feel free to go to their site and ask anything you want.
www.stripersforever.org

For anyone who has an interest, this is what they suggest:

Stripers Forever members - some great news from the State of New York. A4112, a bill to prohibit commercial fishing for striped bass in the Hudson River - effectively making it a game fish there - has already passed the Assembly. S4948, the Senate version of this bill, is coming up for a hearing before the Environmental Conservation Committee on Feb. 23. The bill is sponsored by Senator Antoine M. Thompson, the Chairman of the committee. The Hudson is the second largest spawning ground for striped bass; keeping it free from the pressures of commercial gill netting is vital to the health of the striper population. We all need to get behind this bill now to make sure it takes effect.

Here is what you can do to help:
  • If you are a NY State resident you should e-mail or even better, phone, write and e-mail the office of your state senator today and tell him or her that you want their support for S4948, the bill to protect Hudson River striped bass from the pressures of commercial fishing. You should also send a copy of your e-mail or letter to all Senators on the Environmental Conservation committee.
  • If you are not a NY State resident you should still e-mail or write the Senators on the committee and tell them that striped bass spawned in the Hudson are important to the whole coastal fishery, and that they should be protected from commercial harvest. If you fish the Hudson for stripers, especially if you travel to get there, stay in a hotel, or fish with a guide, please be sure to point this out in your communication. The economic benefits are key rationale for this bill.
Here are the e-mail links that you will need:

Be aware that a handful of shad gill netters on the Hudson are clamoring to be allowed to net stripers now that the shad are gone. They have their supporters; we must make sure that this additional pressure is not put on the already struggling striped bass population. With the fishing pressure and disease issues that persist in the Chesapeake Bay striper stocks, we can't allow the Hudson to go back to the commercial striper fishing that nearly wiped it out more than 30 years ago.

NY residents, here is a sample letter to copy, paste, and send to your senator. Please feel free to modify it into your own words, and to add whatever additional comments you want. Your letters to senators on the Committee can be essentially the same except for not saying that you live in their district.

Dear Senator (name):

My name is (your name) and I live in your district in the town of ( your town).

The future of striped bass is very important to me. Thirty years ago Hudson River stripers were almost wiped out by commercial fishing pressure. The fishery has been closed to commercial fishing since 1976, and the population has recovered, though breeding age fish are under intense fishing pressure in the ocean. Striped bass support a robust recreational fishery that is very valuable to the economies of the towns from Troy to Manhattan. Senate bill S4948 has been referred to the Environmental Conservation Committee. It is very important to me that you support this bill.

Sincerely,

Your Name, Town, State

your e-mail address and phone number

For those residing outside of NY, here is a sample letter to copy, paste, and send to members of the Environmental Conservation Committee. Please feel free to modify it into your own words, and to add whatever additional comments you want. Please try to send it to every member of the committee.

My name is (your name) and I live (town, state). I am writing to urge you to support S4948, the bill to protect Hudson River striped bass from the resumption of commercial fishing. The Hudson River is one of the major spawning areas for the migratory East coast striped bass stock. This is the most important recreational salt water species in America. Like all saltwater species, stripers are already threatened by intense fishing pressure and pollution. Thirty years ago Hudson River stripers were almost wiped out by commercial fishing pressure. This fishery has been closed to commercial harvest since 1976, and the population has recovered, though breeding age fish are under heavy fishing pressure in the ocean. Senate bill S4948 has been referred to the Environmental Conservation Committee. It is very important to me that you support this bill.

Sincerely,

Your Name, Town, State

Note - A copy of S4948 is available under General News on the Stripers Forever website - just Google up Stripers Forever. We are not including a link to try and keep our e-mails from being caught in spam filters.

#3 ·
How you can help if you are not a NY State resident
If you are not a NY State resident you should still e-mail or write the Senators on the committee and tell them that striped bass spawned in the Hudson are important to the whole coastal fishery, and that they should be protected from commercial harvest. If you fish the Hudson for stripers, especially if you travel to get there, stay in a hotel, or fish with a guide, please be sure to point this out in your communication. The economic benefits are key rationale for this bill.

For those residing outside of NY, here is a sample letter to copy, paste, and send to members of the Environmental Conservation Committee. Please feel free to modify it into your own words, and to add whatever additional comments you want. Please try to send it to every member of the committee:

My name is (your name) and I live (town, state). I am writing to urge you to support S4948, the bill to protect Hudson River striped bass from the resumption of commercial fishing. The Hudson River is one of the major spawning areas for the migratory East coast striped bass stock. This is the most important recreational salt water species in America. Like all saltwater species, stripers are already threatened by intense fishing pressure and pollution. Thirty years ago Hudson River stripers were almost wiped out by commercial fishing pressure. This fishery has been closed to commercial harvest since 1976, and the population has recovered, though breeding age fish are under heavy fishing pressure in the ocean. Senate bill S4948 has been referred to the Environmental Conservation Committee. It is very important to me that you support this bill.

Sincerely,

Your Name, Town, State

#4 ·
S4948 the Senate bill
As mentioned, A4112 has already passed the Assembly.

S4948, the Senate bill, is up for a vote Feb 23, 2010.

Here's a copy of the bill:

S4948 ~THOMPSON ~~Same as A 4112 ~Brodsky (MS)~

Environmental Conservation Law

TITLE....Prohibits the taking of striped bass from the Hudson river for commercial purposes

04/27/09

REFERRED TO ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION

05/05/09

REPORTED AND COMMITTED TO CODES

01/06/10

REFERRED TO ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION

BILL TEXT:

STATE OF NEW YORK

__________________________________________________ ______________________

2009-2010 Regular Sessions

IN SENATE

April 27, 2009

Introduced by Sen. THOMPSON -- read twice and ordered printed, and when

printed to be committed to the Committee on Environmental Conservation

AN ACT to amend the environmental conservation law, in relation to

prohibiting the taking of striped bass from the Hudson river for

commercial purposes; and providing for the repeal of such provisions

upon expiration thereof

The People of the State of New York, represented in Senate and Assem-

bly, do enact as follows:

1 Section 1. Section 11-1321 of the environmental conservation law is

2 amended by adding a new subdivision 10 to read as follows:

3 10. (a) Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary,

4 the taking of striped bass for commercial purposes from the Hudson river

5 is prohibited. Striped bass unintentionally taken contrary to any

6 provision of this article shall be returned to the water at once without

7 unnecessary injury.

8 (b) For purposes of this subdivision: (i) "Hudson river" means the

9 Hudson river from the George Washington bridge in New York city to the

10 federal dam at Troy, and tributary waters of that section of the river

11 from the tributary's mouth upstream to the first falls or other barrier

12 impassable to fish; and (ii) "taking of striped bass for commercial

13 purposes" means the taking of such fish, by any means, for purposes of

14 purchasing, selling, trading, or bartering such fish or offering or

15 exposing such fish for purchase, sale, trade, or barter.

16 (c) Nothing in this subdivision shall be deemed to prohibit the lawful

17 taking of striped bass by angling for recreational purposes.

18 § 2. This act shall take effect on the one hundred twentieth day after

19 it shall have become a law; provided, however that the amendments made

20 by section one of this act shall expire and be deemed repealed April 1,

21 2013. Effective immediately any rules and regulations necessary for the

22 timely implementation of this act on its effective date may be promul-

23 gated on or before such date.

EXPLANATION--Matter in italics (underscored) is new; matter in brackets

[] is old law to be omitted.

LBD07354-01-9

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.