Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

reel repair

Tags
reel repair
4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Kappy 
#1 ·
I have a =/- 40 year old surf spinning reel that is in great shape and performs well for me. Want to keep it going partly for sentimental reasons. here's the problem: I cannot remove the cover pate to lube the gears because the slot on one very small, counter sunk screw is mashed. can't get at it with pliers. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
best recourse is to drill the head off the screw.. then after removing the cover plate you will be able to grab the screw with needle nose pliars.... when drilling the head, you want a drill bit just a little larger than the shaft.... when replacing old screw with new.. be sure to add a dab of never seize to the screw threads...

#3 ·
Try a dremel tool with a micro cutting wheel and carefully try to clean out the slot on the screw head enough to get a bite with a small screwdriver, but use wd40 overnight before trying to back it out if you get the groove opened. But roccus's remedy is probably how you will have to go given the age of the reel. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.